So we're playing Baylor... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

So we're playing Baylor...

Put Buddy in one corner and Hughes in the other and they will get open shots all day.

We had that game won but made two stupid turnovers, one after the other with like 2 min left. That game was a freaking travesty. Butler mugged us all night.

we were up 54-50 for a long time. we had the ball out of bounds coming out of the under 4 timeout and threw it away. butler hit a 3 with shot clock winding down on the ensuing possession and we unraveled from there.

worst part about that game is butler didnt even play well. we just played worse. butler didnt win that game, we lost it.

we were up 54-50 for a long time. we had the ball out of bounds coming out of the under 4 timeout and threw it away. butler hit a 3 with shot clock winding down on the ensuing possession and we unraveled from there.

worst part about that game is butler didnt even play well. we just played worse. butler didnt win that game, we lost it.

Turnovers killed us that entire game and the officials didn’t call anything on Butler.

Looking at Lindy's, Athlon and Street and Smiths for the first time since October and ESPN's stats:

Frontcourt: Their best player Tristan Clark, blew out his knee after 14 games and his seasons is over. That leaves:

Freddie Gillespie 6-8 240 a transfer from DIII Carleton averaging 5.2p, 4.5r in 18.2m He's 64% from the field but only 53% from the foul line and hasn't attempted a three.

Mario Kegler 6-7 220 10.7p 6.0r 28.2m A Top 50 recruit who averaged 9.7ppg as a freshman at Mississippi State.

Matthew Mayer 6-9 200 4.9p 2.1r 12.3m 33% FG 66% FT 31% trey. "A four star prospect to whom they look for quality minutes."

Flo Thamba 6-10 220 1.9p 2.3r 10.3m 54% from the field, 53% from the line No trey attempts. He could make an immediate impact due to lack of depth and experience in the post".

Mark Vital 6-5 230 7.0p 7.2r in 27.8m He shoots 44% from the file, including 18% form the arc and 52% from the line. "Despite standing only 6-5, Vitla was Baylor's most relentless rebounder last season.. he plays fearlessly and gives the team bounce and energy."

Backcourt: Jake Lindsey missed the entire season with hip surgery.

Darius Allen 6-4 205 2.0p 0.9r 0.4a 33% FG and FT 15% trey. A JUCO from Florida who cannot shoot.

DeVonte Bandoo 6-3 185 8.6p 2.3r 1.4a 45% FG 39% trey 90%FT A trandfer from Huthcison CC, one of the top JUCO programs who can shoot.

Jared Butler 6-3 185 10.1p 3.1r 2.8a 40%FG 36% trey 81% FT. He's a freshman not mentioned in any of the pre-season magazines: a late acquisition and a good one. He dropped 31 points on Kansas two games ago.

Makai Mason 6-1 185 14.6p 2.5r 3.3a 40% FG 36.5% trey 83%FT. A grad transfer from Yale who averaged 16ppg for Yale three seasons back, including a 31 point game in a first round upset of Baylor!. But he's missed 6 games, including 3 of the last 11. In the other 8, he's 23 for 96 (24%) from the field and 12/41 (29%) from three.

King McClure 6-3 220 8.7p 5.2r 2.1a 27.3m 40%fg 36% trey 66.7FT. He's come back from a hypertropic cardiomyopathy, the condition that killed Hank Gaithers. he now "looks to finish his career as Baylor's leader". He missed 5 games with a knee injury and has been back for five games in which he's played 96 minutes in which he's scored 19 points pulled down 23 rebounds and passed for 5 assists. he shot 7 for 23 from the field in those games (30%), inclusion 2 for 15 from outside (13%).

Obim Okeke 6-0 225 A football player who hardly plays.

If we were to describe out injury problems to Baylor we would get no sympathy. They are small, play hard and rebound well but are in a shooting slump. If they don't Break out of it, we should win. They have +6 points against ranked teams: We have +90. They beat Iowa State by 3 and 4 points, Texas Tech by 11, Lost to Kansas by 5 and 8, Texas Tech by 25 and Kansas State by 6. They are surely capable of beating us. the fact that they play a zone, even if it is a different one is a concern but as pointed out it's the same one Beilein plays and JB has had good success against Beilein. I think we move on.

Great post. Thanks, SWC. I agree. We should move on, but any team is capable of beating any team at this point. That's the beauty of the tournament.

Even worse was that 3 pointer was taken with about 2 seconds on the shot clock after I think Scoop or whoever was guarding the guy inexplicably gave him some room. The shot hit the back rim and bounced about 5 feet in the air and went in. Once that happened I knew we were in big trouble despite still having a 1pt lead.

Even worse was that 3 pointer was taken with about 2 seconds on the shot clock after I think Scoop or whoever was guarding the guy inexplicably gave him some room. The shot hit the back rim and bounced about 5 feet in the air and went in. Once that happened I knew we were in big trouble despite still having a 1pt lead.

I thought he banked it in from the corner. That shot killed me!

It was from the corner but didn't bank, just hit about every part of seemingly the rim and the entire hoop.

Killed me! That game is only second to the Motem TO game for BAD losses. Then again Vermont sucked too. Aargh!

Killed me! That game is only second to the Motem TO game for BAD losses. Then again Vermont sucked too. Aargh!
I didn’t remember how we lost, and just went on YouTube and watched. I want to puke now lol. Looking at a Syracuse team that’s a 1 seed, something that seems unbelievable when thinking of our last 4 years. Wow did we drop one. Man I miss being a top 10 team.

DCCuse ”WE ARE NOT LOSING THIS GAME”

Our luck at Rosie’s was horrible. Oklahoma and Butler in back to back years.

At least Oklahoma you knew the game was over at half. We did beat Arizona State while at Rosies one year and Gonzaga. The record for fball and bball there was not great but for Lax I think we were undefeated.

Good things about playing Baylor:

- They play a zone as well so they won’t lut much ball pressure on us
- They don’t score very well in the paint
- They turn it over a decent amount and don’t force turnovers
- They foul a lot
- They aren’t that good from the line
- Despite being a good 3pt shooting team all year, they were ice cold the last month
- They aren’t big; their most used lineup is 6’a, 6’3, 6’3, 6’7, 6’8

Bad things about playing Baylor
- They’re beasts on the offensive glass and don’t allow a lot of offensive boards on defense
- they get to the line a decent amount

Yes, I think the biggest challenge will be defending them at the foul line. They could rotate a lot of those mid-sized guys in there who could cause us problems. We have to cut off ball entry into the foul line area as our top priority.

As for 3 point shooting, they're not really any better than us, statistically speaking. They shoot 34% as a team to our 33%.

I think Buddy and Eli are probably better shooters than they have, but Tyus, Frank and Oshea are less reliable than their guys from outside. They don't have a rim protector, so I think the key is for last year's "Big Three" to try to get to the rim and get to the foul line, and then kick it out to Buddy and Eli for threes.

Baylor lost 4 in a row to end the year and don't look that impressive. I have only seen them play once and it was quite a while ago. There best shooter looks to be 6'1" and white so hopefully we can defend and make some shots. I like our chances and don't think we could have asked for a better match up.

Shevlin Mack, I think. Still have nightmares about that shot.

Yes, I think the biggest challenge will be defending them at the foul line. They could rotate a lot of those mid-sized guys in there who could cause us problems. We have to cut off ball entry into the foul line area as our top priority..
If we're focused on cutting off the foul line that's going to leave the 3 point line open. You can't cover both. Let them beat us from the foul line. So tired of no-name guards going off from 3 because we defended the mid-range at all costs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom