So Who Is The First Portaler? | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

So Who Is The First Portaler?

But what if Q was constantly pulling in the wrong direction all year long, whereas Taylor was doing everything the coaches asked of him? Would you still start the player that had a bad attitude over the player that did everything the right way?

If Red was trying to build a culture of hard work and accountability - and that led him to start JT over Q to try to get that point across to the entire team - then I don’t have a problem with that.
What about the selfless walkons who pull in the right direction? Just play them Red even got their hopes up when he made that threat.

Taylor is not a good player we've seen guys of his ability lose their jobs entirely and not play at all Carey, Goodine, Kaleb. If he is brought back next year then starting him makes sense but if he leaves the program its a ridiculous move that drove talented players out. We ended up with a 6 man rotation though so he was always going to play.

Go look at the portal recruiting thread people are suggesting middle of the pack A10 players. The idea we can get someone more talented than Q in the portal is insanity. We developed him for 2 years so he can go somewhere like Uconn and win a title is probably what happens if he gets pushed out. Taylor will go to an A10 school and struggle for minutes if he wants to start Ivy or Patriot.

What about the selfless walkons who pull in the right direction? Just play them Red even got their hopes up when he made that threat.

Taylor is not a good player we've seen guys of his ability lose their jobs entirely and not play at all Carey, Goodine, Kaleb. If he is brought back next year then starting him makes sense but if he leaves the program its a ridiculous move that drove talented players out. We ended up with a 6 man rotation though so he was always going to play.

Go look at the portal recruiting thread people are suggesting middle of the pack A10 players. The idea we can get someone more talented than Q in the portal is insanity. We developed him for 2 years so he can go somewhere like Uconn and win a title is probably what happens if he gets pushed out. Taylor will go to an A10 school and struggle for minutes if he wants to start Ivy or Patriot.
I agree with you, we should have played the walk-ons more.

Joe actually avg'd more FGs a game than Judah last year.

Buddy avg'd 5 more FGs a game than anyone else on the team for 2 years in a row.

Not saying I disagree with your take. Certainly this year it played this way.

Interesting how one player Buddy Backdown'ed his way to a 16-17 record yet it was never suggested that he was more interested in personal points than wins.

Just sayin'
Um I always thought Buddy was point counting. I wouldn't have played with him either especially with his Dad as the coach.

and Buddy didn't play a position that traditionally facilitates an offense.

Autry coaches Bell hard because he really could be great. An elite shooter that needs to round out his game. He needs tough love which he gets now. Hope he stays.
If Bell adjusted his attitude, he could really be good. You could see the effort get better throughout the year. But, he still pouts too much. Treat it like a business.

Um I always thought Buddy was point counting. I wouldn't have played with him either especially with his Dad as the coach.

and Buddy didn't play a position that traditionally facilitates an offense.
Was Buddy ever much better than Matt Roe? Matt was a good player on a team loaded with talent. That is what Buddy's role should have been. But, the roster was built to make him the star. I think that handcuffed Swider his one year here.

That simply isn't true. Yes, we want to win more. There was a lot going on with this team. And it wasn't good. If you want to win, you have to have the right pieces. But you also have to have everyone pulling the rope in the same direction. That wasn't the case with our team. There was a lot of disrespect for the coach and what we were trying to do. And it came from 2 or 3 players. Oh, and that isn't guessing or reading body language.

It was obvious, at least to me, that something was going on with this team and Red. Just watching the exchanges during timeouts, the constant yapping at officials, the inability or unwillingness to follow the game plan, all made for uncomfortable viewing by fans.
I'm sure getting rid of Benny helped but the overall tone had been set, and it wasn't gonna change, at least not for this year.
We have to give Red his chance to set the tone on the kind of program he wants. He'll have his chance, then we'll see. JMHO

Staff will do well, Im sure of it
i agree. red knows basketball...some of the pieces he brought in for year 1 didnt work out...a lot actually...
but the plan was pretty good. (I didnt like the center plan but that was kinda forced by jesse leaving...and the forwards were very dicey but red's relationships there were likely very hard to walk away from)

i think he knows what needs to be done and will do his best to get it done...always takes a bit of luck, though.

but i anticipate a big portal season...players should want to play for red...they like wht he brings and he has shown he can get it done no matter what...

give him a loaded roster and they will take off.

Now you know

We are children.

Sarcastic Ramon Rodriguez GIF by ABC Network

Too many kids pay attention to fans, haters, hanger-oners, social media, including message boards and outsiders. :(

I’ll say again. Where does he think he’s going to start? I get that he can put his name out there and that’s good for him to see what his worth is and his options are. Doesn’t mean that he won’t be right back in Orange off the bench.
i'd start him over taylor, for example.

he could start at SF for a lot of teams, imo

A little like when the T Wolves wrecked Donyell Marshall by making him gain muscle which ruied his shot and slowed him doen.
yeah when I think taylor...donyell marshall isnt the first comparison that comes to mind...lol

you wanted less minutes for carey? so zero minutes then? he hardly played at all.

but I agree. he should bounce.
That’s not at all what I said.

And, actually, I did say early on that since he was going to be (wrongly) put in as a center, he and Hima should have had more minutes to prepare for the inevitable McLeod injury.

But, yeah, the grander point is that he never should have been considered a Center, and it’s not in his best interests to be with us, if that’s the plan or even the contingency. And if Maliq rightfully moves to the 4 and with a 3-4 freshman incoming, there aren’t meaningful minutes for him as. Junior. Wish things were different for him and I wish him luck and success.

I personally like Cuffe. If he can play a role similar to UCONN's (ugh) Diarra, that will be helpful to this team. He just needs to be content with a role off the bench that contributes on defense and can be a threat to score. At the end of the day, players have to buy in to Red's culture and playing style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom