So, You're A Candidate for SU AD | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So, You're A Candidate for SU AD

silly silly is right dash...

EVERY coach, should serve (coach) at the pleasure of the AD.

EVERY coach should be evaluated at the end of the season by the AD, who then decides if they should be granted the right to coach again next year.

what, people dont get fired in your world??

kumbaya this...
None of that, none answers the question. The question was what would the answer be if the A.D. wouldn't accept that Hopkins was our next hoop coach. That deal is in place. You couldn't answer in the affirmative. I sent you on your way. Next. Oh, and don't let the door hit you in the @ss on your way out.

HoustonCuse said:
Everyone has a boss. And it's not like the AD candidate is being told, "listen, my slow witted cousin really needs a job and so you will pick him as the successor to our Hall of Fame Legend." I mean come on guys.
you are telling the candidate that he/she will have no say over an imminent personnel decision; a decision which is of gigantic significance to the future of the department he/she will be running.

you are telling the candidate that he/she will have no say over an imminent personnel decision; a decision which is of gigantic significance to the future of the department he/she will be running.
yes. I understand if that is unacceptable to the candidate. Next. Should the next A.D. be allowed to fire any coach currently in the sysytem just because he wants to?

dasher said:
One, it has been in the papers. Two, I know a lot.
I've seen Gross's quote stating "Hopkins is the coach in waiting." Is there more? I read the paper too.

I've seen Gross's quote stating "Hopkins is the coach in waiting." Is there more? I read the paper too.
yeah, there is more. Mike has been taken care of. Syracuse will have to pay to name someone else the head coach. Hopkins wasn't dumb when he turned down Charlotte.

dasher said:
yes. I understand if that is unacceptable to the candidate. Next. Should the next A.D. be allowed to fire any coach currently in the sysytem just because he wants to?
it's not the same thing unless there is actually a contract. The only evidence I have of a contract is your word.

Remember we're talking in terms of a job interview question. If a candidate comes in and doesn't realize that Hop should get a chance at this job, then I would argue that candidate is not qualified for the position. The reasons for giving Hop a chance are so many that I can't list them all. They range from likelihood of continuing of success of program to relationship with former, current, and future basketball players. I mean what kind of candidate are you if you are willing to a) ignore the basketball advice of a HOF coach with 40 years experience in the program, b) not only bring in a new person with no or few ties to the program while also flushing the same recommended guy completely out of the program, c) flushing decades worth of "family" culture within the basketball program, d) risking decades-long relationships with donors, high school and AAU coaches, and former players, etc. And on top of that, what kind of candidate would not take the opportunity to get a free pass on a coaching hire this big. If Mike tanks, he takes no hit for that - if he succeeds, new AD can throw it on his "yearly accomplishments" during performance appraisal season for the next umpteen years.

It would take a special kind of doofus candidate to not immediately jump at the chance to sign on the dotted line for Mike Hopkins on day one.

dasher said:
yeah, there is more. Mike has been taken care of. Syracuse will have to pay to name someone else the head coach. Hopkins wasn't dumb when he turned down Charlotte.
so you say, but where is this information coming from?

Hopkins basically took himself out of the USC job to remain loyal to SU. He deserves the job to replace JB which not many people will want any. Belichick didn't want to replace Parcells etc. It is always good to be the guy that replaces the guy after the legend.

Hop will get his chance.

No. Mike was never offered the USC job. If he had been offered, he likely would have taken it. Boeheim was very terse with the media about taking any questions on that until after the guy from Florida Gulf Coast had been hired, and then JB went out of his way AFTERWARDS to talk about what a great candidate Mike was.

it's not the same thing unless there is actually a contract. The only evidence I have of a contract is your word.
LOL a number of years ago, I posted before anyone heard anything about this, that Hop was the next coach. A lot of nitwits on this board attacked me for this. A short while later,m Gross said that hop was coach in waiting (do you think Hop just got his word for that? really?) It was at that time that I decided to never post anything I knew for certain on this board. I share things with certain board members. You are free to doubt what I have told you. Having said that, Hop has a contract that names him the next head coach. It will cost the University a lot of $$ to break it. I don't care whether you believe this or me. Those are the facts.

Remember we're talking in terms of a job interview question. If a candidate comes in and doesn't realize that Hop should get a chance at this job, then I would argue that candidate is not qualified for the position. The reasons for giving Hop a chance are so many that I can't list them all.

It would take a special kind of doofus candidate to not immediately jump at the chance to sign on the dotted line for Mike Hopkins on day one.

Yes, Mike certainly deserves a chance at the job. But a chance might be interpreted as an interview.

Yes, Mike certainly deserves a chance at the job. But a chance might be interpreted as an interview.

OK, I see that. At least my intention was to mean he should get the job and be given the chance to succeed or fail on his own merits.

It's a simple question, really.

"No. But due to his tenure at SU, he'd be considered an extremely strong candidate."

To me, this would be just revealing the candidate to be an ego monster. I mean seriously you are going to take everything Mike has going for him, not the least of which is 20 years as an assistant here and the unqualified recommendation of the 2nd winningest coach in the history of the game and say "I mean, sure yeah, the guy deserves an interview."

And then the idea that through your AD superpowers you will somehow divine something in the 2 hour interview that went unrevealed during said 20 year tenure and unnoticed by said HOF guru of coaching that is so severe that it warrants risking a landslide of negative consequences associated with essentially firing Hopkins (which is what not hiring him as HC is tantamount to because there is no way he could or would stay after that).

This level of ego would make the "DOCTOR Gross talking on two cell phones at the same time" thing pale in comparison!

To me, this would be just revealing the candidate to be an ego monster. I mean seriously you are going to take everything Mike has going for him, not the least of which is 20 years as an assistant here and the unqualified recommendation of the 2nd winningest coach in the history of the game and say "I mean, sure yeah, the guy deserves an interview."

And then the idea that through your AD superpowers you will somehow divine something in the 2 hour interview that went unrevealed during said 20 year tenure and unnoticed by said HOF guru of coaching that is so severe that it warrants risking a landslide of negative consequences associated with essentially firing Hopkins (which is what not hiring him as HC is tantamount to because there is no way he could or would stay after that).

This level of ego would make the "DOCTOR Gross talking on two cell phones at the same time" thing pale in comparison!

So you want an AD that doesn't have an edge or ego? I think it's a pretty prominent position that should go to someone with a sturdy backbone.

Secondly, how do we really know that Hopkins is the best available option? Especially from the standpoint of an outsider (non-SU affiliated) AD candidate?

None of that, none answers the question. The question was what would the answer be if the A.D. wouldn't accept that Hopkins was our next hoop coach. That deal is in place. You couldn't answer in the affirmative. I sent you on your way. Next. Oh, and don't let the door hit you in the @ss on your way out.
i answered affirmitivly...i told them to go F themselves, as nicely as possible with their little...'oh btw, you know the assistant coach who just helped put us on probation, the one whos never had a HC job??...well uh, when the current HOF retires...he gets the job'...statement.

i answered affirmitivly...i told them to go F themselves, as nicely as possible with their little...'oh btw, you know the assistant coach who just helped put us on probation, the one whos never had a HC job??...well uh, when the current HOF retires...he gets the job'...statement.

I'm totally with you on this. Is he really the best candidate?

for a second I thought you were talking about Tom Izzo. Good luck in your future job search. I'm sure you will go far.

I'm totally with you on this. Is he really the best candidate?
That question was answered when he was named coach in waiting. Or do you believe in not honoring the deals you made?

That question was answered when he was named coach in waiting. Or do you believe in not honoring the deals you made?

I made? If it's a new AD, then they would not have made a deal. If there is an actual contract, like some claim, then yes...I guess I (as the new AD) would honor this.

Hopkins is the best candidate willing to coach at SU for the amount SU is willing to pay.

I made? If it's a new AD, then they would not have made a deal. If there is an actual contract, like some claim, then yes...I guess I (as the new AD) would honor this.
If you work for a school that made a deal before you were employed there, it's still as if you made the deal. To act otherwise is dishonorable.

LOL a number of years ago, I posted before anyone heard anything about this, that Hop was the next coach. A lot of nitwits on this board attacked me for this. A short while later,m Gross said that hop was coach in waiting (do you think Hop just got his word for that? really?) It was at that time that I decided to never post anything I knew for certain on this board. I share things with certain board members. You are free to doubt what I have told you. Having said that, Hop has a contract that names him the next head coach. It will cost the University a lot of $$ to break it. I don't care whether you believe this or me. Those are the facts.
Thanks for sharing what you know with us, I and I'm sure many others appreciate it. F the haters.