So, You're A Candidate for SU AD | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So, You're A Candidate for SU AD

That's just what Calhoun did to UConn. It was kind of a dick move to the University, if you ask me. It screams "I'm more important than any of you, and I get to decide my successor, not you."
It's also what Dean Smith did. He was concerned (probably for good reason) that Guthridge would be put out to pasture when he (Smith) retired. So, he gave the UNC administration no choice. And, Dean's pick was better than the AD's (Doherty) when the next change was made.

silly silly is right dash...

EVERY coach, should serve (coach) at the pleasure of the AD.

EVERY coach should be evaluated at the end of the season by the AD, who then decides if they should be granted the right to coach again next year.

what, people dont get fired in your world??

kumbaya this...

Yes and bosses who come in and just start firing people, not following through on prior agreements to just make a personal imprint so "his own people" can come in, start out with lots of mistrust causing dysfunctional friction and dissension. I've seen it. I also find it rather ironic that the posters busting on Coach Shafer about bringing in his own people are some of the same people wanting the new AD to break a contract so he can bring in his own unknown favorite as our new head mens' basketball coach.

Personally I would think that more than the AD particularly a new one, would have to have the buy in of the chancellor, Trustees etc to break a contract and override a decision previously made. Sure doesn't seem like Chancellor Syverud's method when he came in either. If change is needed then it should be made but change just for the sake of change isn't productive.

LOL a number of years ago, I posted before anyone heard anything about this, that Hop was the next coach. A lot of nitwits on this board attacked me for this. A short while later,m Gross said that hop was coach in waiting (do you think Hop just got his word for that? really?) It was at that time that I decided to never post anything I knew for certain on this board. I share things with certain board members. You are free to doubt what I have told you. Having said that, Hop has a contract that names him the next head coach. It will cost the University a lot of $$ to break it. I don't care whether you believe this or me. Those are the facts.

I for one believe you, it would make perfect sense to me that he obtained a codicil in his contract that states that. Why else would he have turned down other jobs? Mike is not stupid.

Hopkins is the best candidate willing to coach at SU for the amount SU is willing to pay.

You have no idea what SU is willing to pay. JB is getting paid what he is getting paid because SU knows as well as JB knows that he's going nowhere and never was going anywhere. But when he's gone it would be foolish to cheapen out on a coach, the university makes far far far too much money on this program, I doubt they wouldn't open the pocketbook to make sure that money keeps flowing in.

All that said, I hire the most qualified candidate, the person I believe would do the best job.

You have no idea what SU is willing to pay. JB is getting paid what he is getting paid because SU knows as well as JB knows that he's going nowhere and never was going anywhere. But when he's gone it would be foolish to cheapen out on a coach, the university makes far far far too much money on this program, I doubt they wouldn't open the pocketbook to make sure that money keeps flowing in.

All that said, I hire the most qualified candidate, the person I believe would do the best job.
Or JAB takes less to help ensure his staff gets their fair share.

Just so I'm clear...because Hop has a 'contract' he's already the next guy, yes??

- any legal problems arise...he's the guy because he has a 'contract'
- he blows 9, 10 point leads with 4 mins to go when JB is suspended..he's the guy because he has a 'contract'
- his agent is awesome, it states its his job for 20 years, but he's the guy because he has a 'contract'

Please.

And dash, you really embarrassed yourself with that whole Desko thing. I'm guessing you were taking a shot at the Dr, but no one in their right mind comes in and puts every coach on notice.

And no one in their right mind comes in and is told who they are hiring for 1 of the 2 most important jobs under them, without getting some assurances they can make a change if need be.

Last edited:
Just so I'm clear...because Hop has a 'contract' he's already the next guy, yes??

- any legal problems arise...he's the guy because he has a 'contract'
- he blows 9, 10 point leads with 4 mins to go when JB is suspended..he's the guy because he has a 'contract'
- his agent is awesome, it states its his job for 20 years, but he's the guy because he has a 'contract'

Please.

And dash, you really embarrassed yourself with that whole Desko thing. I'm guessing you were taking a shot at the Dr, but no one in their right mind comes in and puts every coach on notice.

And no one in their right mind comes in and is told who they are hiring for 1 of the 2 most important jobs under them, it hour getting some assurances they can Mae a change if need be.
Yeah, I feel really bad about you saying that I embarrassed myself. How will I ever be able to sleep tonight. Here is my policy. You honor the deals you make. You obviously disagree. Good to know. Here is a secret just for you. Hop's team will blow some games in the future. So will every other coach. You don't want to keep your word, fine. To use your word, how awesome for you. Me. Mine means something to me. I already told you, if you were applying for the job, thanks for your time, here is a meal ticket for Kimmel, now get on the next plane and don't waste any more of my time.

Since there isn't a new AD, this is all speculative. In other words, just one girl's opinion... nothing more, nothing less.

1) Mike has worked for, and has earned the job. Twenty years in the trenches of recruiting, training, mentoring, babysitting, being away from his family, building relationships, giving his all to Syracuse University. It is not just a question of "loyalty;" it's a question of all the productive, successful, hard work he has given to the school.

2) He's one of the most respected and well-liked assistant coaches in America; his name appears on every such list. He has received way more "feelers" from other schools than have been reported in the media ... because he has said "no" before they could advance to a public discussion stage.

3) He is an amazing recruiter and mentor. Kids love him; their parents love him. He has established relationships up and down the east coast. He has the respect of everyone he meets. For example, the relationships he developed with Hakim Warrick's mother and GMac's parents are classic examples of this.

4) He is a combination of the best of Jim Boeheim (basketball knowledge, respect from peers, commitment to SU, ability to recruit and develop players, etc) ... and the things some here would like to see done a bit differently (warm and fuzzy with the media, perceived openness to new ideas and change, great skill with all forms of new media, etc).

5) In spite of many opportunities to go elsewhere to run his own show and provide better for his family, he has stayed at Syracuse because of loyalty and promises made to him. Yes, let's assume there is a contract.

As I said, this is just one girl's opinion (because I am entitled to one)... and please do not read anything more or less into it... but I feel very strongly about this.
Well yeah there's that.

Yeah, I feel really bad about you saying that I embarrassed myself. How will I ever be able to sleep tonight. Here is my policy. You honor the deals you make. You obviously disagree. Good to know. Here is a secret just for you. Hop's team will blow some games in the future. So will every other coach. You don't want to keep your word, fine. To use your word, how awesome for you. Me. Mine means something to me. I already told you, if you were applying for the job, thanks for your time, here is a meal ticket for Kimmel, now get on the next plane and don't waste any more of my time.
Stop taking things so literal, you're above that mindset.

And where did I say I wouldn't keep my word? I said I wouldn't keep previous regimes word, former employers of said guy under said 'contracts' word.

Which is business 101.

This is like the mortgage crisis all over again...'but this is my dream house!!! How dare you foreclose on me! Bank A said I could and should live here!!'

Bank A also took stated income and let you buy a home 3x as much as you should and could buy, so now I have to suffer???

You're out, unless you can pay...

And where did I say I wouldn't keep my word? I said I wouldn't keep previous regimes word, former employers of said guy under said 'contracts' word.

Which is business 101.

This is like the mortgage crisis all over again...'but this is my dream house!!! How dare you foreclose on me! Bank A said I could and should live here!!'

Bank A also took stated income and let you buy a home 3x as much as you should and could buy, so now I have to suffer???

This is zero like the mortgage crisis? The school made a deal. It wasn't a different school. It was Syracuse University. And keeping your word in business is business 101. You don't, and no one ever trusts you again. If Hop can't do the job, he will be replaced. But Syracuse made a deal with him and they should honor it. And I am pretty sure they will.

This is zero like the mortgage crisis? The school made a deal. It wasn't a different school. It was Syracuse University. And keeping your word in business is business 101. You don't, and no one ever trusts you again. If Hop can't do the job, he will be replaced. But Syracuse made a deal with him and they should honor it. And I am pretty sure they will.
I want to be promised, while being the 2nd in command, of a company you just purchased, that I'd be the new President of the new company, by the ousted CEO...and see you keep that word.

Unless someone has a crystal ball, there is no way to know what the best option will be at the moment the job actually opens up. Hop should be strongly considered, but there's more to gain by keeping the options open.

Which is business 101.

Business 101 also tells you not to pay 2 guys to do one job. And if you renege on your deal with Hop, that is exactly what you'll be doing. Just a stupid waste of financial resources. But, then, its always easy to spend other people's money.

Any AD hired by Syracuse that didnt make Mike the next head coach would never be hired in the first place. Mike is the next head coach of Syracuse Period

A good approach to the question would be:

"Syracuse Basketball would be extremely fortunate to have a HC with Mike's experience, drive and loyalty. His efforts and history with the program should not be overlooked when the time comes to consider the next coach. As AD, I would look forward to making that decision with the University."

Edit: the above assumes the question was asked because there is no definite answer.

Last edited:
I want to be promised, while being the 2nd in command, of a company you just purchased, that I'd be the new President of the new company, by the ousted CEO...and see you keep that word.

Still disagree. First off the AD is not the CEO, he is hired by the CEO. The chancellor (the real CEO) who gets approval from the board of directors or trustees in this case, is to hire a new plant manager (or AD let's say). The CEO demoted the last plant manager(AD). A search committee suggests a candidate for plant manager (AD) to be interviewed by the CEO and Board of Directors. Criteria for candidates would already have been determined by the search committee. During candidates interviews for plant manager they would be told that the controller is planning to retire and his replacement, a long time employee for the same company, who has been groomed for decades has already been named his replacement.

If a plant manager candidate demands to name his own controller, what are the plant manager candidates options? What are the CEO and Board of Director's options? Whether a candidate would be given the power to break a previous contract/agreement would be determined before any hiring and possibly even before any scheduled interviews.

That's the way it's ever worked at any company I ever worked at and can't imagine it would differ in this situation. Do you really believe that Gross fired Pasqualoni without Nancy etc's approval?

He would lose the team, lost the recruits, lose the fans, the hs coaches and national respect. Who would he hire that could be better than Hop

Still disagree. First off the AD is not the CEO, he is hired by the CEO. The chancellor (the real CEO) who gets approval from the board of directors or trustees in this case, is to hire a new plant manager (or AD let's say). The CEO demoted the last plant manager(AD). A search committee suggests a candidate for plant manager (AD) to be interviewed by the CEO and Board of Directors. Criteria for candidates would already have been determined by the search committee. During candidates interviews for plant manager they would be told that the controller is planning to retire and his replacement, a long time employee for the same company, who has been groomed for decades has already been named his replacement.

If a plant manager candidate demands to name his own controller, what are the plant manager candidates options? What are the CEO and Board of Director's options? Whether a candidate would be given the power to break a previous contract/agreement would be determined before any hiring and possibly even before any scheduled interviews.

That's the way it's ever worked at any company I ever worked at and can't imagine it would differ in this situation. Do you really believe that Gross fired Pasqualoni without Nancy etc's approval?

I won't even pretend to know what the new AD will do.

Your scenario makes sense in the business world. However, when applied to the SU situation, the hiring of the "Controller" would only be applicable if the new Controller's salary was much higher than the CEO's. Two different worlds.

We have a new chancellor, we will have a new AD...you guys think they should have to listen to what mrs dropped 20 spots in ranking and mr put us on probation decided??? Well okie-doke, but that's nuts. The new guy should the right of a review process, which is all I ever said.

Jamie Dimon was promised citi till a regime change, got passed, left for bank one, bought chase and came back like Caesar. Business and balls 101.

If that deal deal doesn't have an out clause...wow. Reverse buffalo situation.

Just what kind of law and business is practiced up in cny and wny???

He would lose the team, lost the recruits, lose the fans, the hs coaches and national respect. Who would he hire that could be better than Hop
For argument sake what if former national champions like a Billy Donovan or Rick Pitino were interested in coming to Syracuse.

Close but not the same thing. A new A.D. is another employee. Not the owner.

We will see I guess. I agree by the way, it would be foolish to cheapen out on the next head coach. Still, I wouldn't bet a single dollar that they won't.

The more that I think about it, the more it just makes sense to give the Job to Hopkins. After another sub-par football season next year, Shafer will likely be let go. That means the new AD will have to make 2 enormous hires in a ~2 year span.

Hiring Hopkins at least gives him/her an easy out on the basketball side. Should Hopkins falter, it would not be on the new AD. Football, on the hand...

Close but not the same thing. A new A.D. is another employee. Not the owner.
Not in charge of division=FAIL.

Fun excersize, I clearly...(sigh) again...won.