SOLD OUT! Dome Will Be Electric For 'Cuse vs Duke | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

SOLD OUT! Dome Will Be Electric For 'Cuse vs Duke

Hopefully the Dome will be rocking...the Dome atmosphere has been VERY stale this season. Everyone is very quiet in there. Not much home court advantage recently. Very sad.
I apologize, JRH. First, I happily clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be about how awesome the Duke game is going to be, but instead it’s nothing but comments about how quiet the Dome is. Second, I tend to get very defensive about the subject because I go to every game and have for more than a decade. Although some games are definitely not rocking, the fans know how to yell and be appreciative to the team, and also how to cheer for them when they are behind. This year we have had some bad losses in the Dome, and it’s hard to stay positive towards the end of a game where your team has played terribly. Even the Cameron crazies get a little quiet when their team is losing.

Third, I agree with some of the comments about how hard it is to fill the Dome on week nights and in the winter when the weather is dangerous. We have a huge space to fill and most nights during conference play we get 20,000+ in there. The season ticket holders are a fiercely loyal group. We take our big crowds for granted but they are impressive!

Fourth, I am forced to acknowledge that the students have not been the greatest for the last 5 years and people have had some good ideas about why that is. Probably multi-factorial. I almost feel as if the non-student crowd has to help get the students into the game sometimes.

Fifth, so how about our town getting all those people into the Dome for a game we could just conceivably win???!!! Duke will have Reddish and Tre back, so I believe they will be a much better team than the one we beat. They are aching to give us the beat down (or at least their fans are). Did you see Zion’s face after he smashed Dolezaj? Such smug satisfaction! That little sneer . . . Yeah, that’s what they are all going to try to bring to the Dome. They want us. Bad. But we want them back. Worse!

So, in conclusion, I believe that this season the Dome has had extremely loud games while conceding that the students could bring it more. And I’m sorry for my defensive snippiness.

Last edited:
The pitt crowd wasnt bad at all, 24 in a snow storm
It was not 24,000 that were in the building that’s paid attendance I can guarantee there was less than 20,000 people there

If we can’t get Hop, I’d think about Thad Matta.
Thad Matta will not coach again. He has physical ailments that caused him to retire.
He is also very happy to be retired.

It was not 24,000 that were in the building that’s paid attendance I can guarantee there was less than 20,000 people there
That was the biggest crowd we’ve had all year, just looking around. But I am extremely biased.

so did all the people who were saying we would lose to pitt because the crowd wasn't good enough rally to this thread or what?

Just this season? It's been bad for some time, but it is noticeable more than ever this year. I'm placing a lot of the blame on the current batch of students. It's almost as if they're too cool to make noise or be active during the game.

Idk about this year but 2 years ago exactly I went to that Ville game Roberson screwed us out of on a Monday and the crowd was amazing and better than it would have been 15 years ago when I was a student.

Our fans who go to games are excellent and we have a lot of them. Some posters on here who turn on the team too easily but I think that’s just an annoying vocal majority. And for the first time I can remember our best games have been roadies.

I apologize, JRH. First, I happily clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be about how awesome the Duke game is going to be, but instead it’s nothing but comments about how quiet the Dome is. Second, I tend to get very defensive about the subject because I go to every game and have for more than a decade. Although some games are definitely not rocking, the fans know how to yell and be appreciative to the team, and also how to cheer for them when they are behind. This year we have had some bad losses in the Dome, and it’s hard to stay positive towards the end of a game where your team has played terribly. Even the Cameron crazies get a little quiet when their team is losing.

Third, I agree with some of the comments about how hard it is to fill the Dome on week nights and in the winter when the weather is dangerous. We have a huge space to fill and most nights during conference play we get 20,000+ in there. The season ticket holders are a fiercely loyal group. We take our big crowds for granted but they are impressive!

Fourth, I am forced to acknowledge that the students have not been the greatest for the last 5 years and people have had some good ideas about why that is. Probably multi-factorial. I almost feel as if the non-student crowd has to help get the students into the game sometimes.

Fifth, so how about our town getting all those people into the Dome for a game we could just conceivably win???!!! Duke will have Reddish and Tre back, so I believe they will be a much better team than the one we beat. They are aching to give us the beat down (or at least their fans are). Did you see Zion’s face after he smashed Dolezaj? Such smug satisfaction! That little sneer . . . Yeah, that’s what they are all going to try to bring to the Dome. They want us. Bad. But we want them back. Worse!

So, in conclusion, I believe that this season the Dome has had extremely loud games while conceding that the students could bring it more. And I’m sorry for my defensive snippiness.

First World College Hoops Problems: SU ONLY had 24K in attendance for a weeknight, late start game, and weird weather. Most other schools are happy with 10-15K on a weekend!

Thanks for a well though out, logical response. Sometimes the top echelons forget from whence they came and SU has been blessed with over 40 years of winning, and at high levels, we often forget just how good we have it.

I totally understand where you are coming from, I agree we are pulling a decent number of attendance. What I am saying is, it seems that people are too timid to cheer and be loud.

After all that’s how we got the name the loud house.

I guess what I am saying is, let’s get back to those crowds where you barely can hear yourself think. This would be a HUGE advantage again for our team!!

I totally understand where you are coming from, I agree we are pulling a decent number of attendance. What I am saying is, it seems that people are too timid to cheer and be loud.

I guess what I am saying is, let’s get back to those crowds where you barely can hear yourself think. This would be a HUGE advantage again for our team!!
Its not always the size of the crowd. So Cuse has "hired" an in game host so we will see how he does helping rev up the crowd. Plus did anyone notice that the dance team has upped their game including dancing Otto. Now we just need the cheer team to up theirs. Sorry, "let's go Orange" just doesn't cut it.

It's not the numbers, it's the energy.

Question about this - forgive me if this is discussed later in this thread - usually go to a game per year so don’t have good bead on the crowd relative to past years etc. I was at Georgetown game and was lucky to have great seat (2 rows behind juli b). I stood up and was loud each and every time it was appropriate to do so and would have gladly have done so the entire game (even having just turned 50) but I would never do that bc 3/4 of the crowd prefers to sit for all but a few critical parts of the game. I get that too and it would be rude to stand in front of them (In fact there was a tense exchange between a student in my row and a guy my age 2 rows behind asking him to sit down). Ideally there’d be sections on one of the sidelines where it was understood that standing was going to be the default - that would naturally draw more students and younger crowd. Maybe that’s unreasonable and not sure how to message that (‘standing recommended’) but it’s too bad. It’d be a whole different game. I would have brought 10x the energy literally if it was not rude to do so.

Question about this - forgive me if this is discussed later in this thread - usually go to a game per year so don’t have good bead on the crowd relative to past years etc. I was at Georgetown game and was lucky to have great seat (2 rows behind juli b). I stood up and was loud each and every time it was appropriate to do so and would have gladly have done so the entire game (even having just turned 50) but I would never do that bc 3/4 of the crowd prefers to sit for all but a few critical parts of the game. I get that too and it would be rude to stand in front of them (In fact there was a tense exchange between a student in my row and a guy my age 2 rows behind asking him to sit down). Ideally there’d be sections on one of the sidelines where it was understood that standing was going to be the default - that would naturally draw more students and younger crowd. Maybe that’s unreasonable and not sure how to message that (‘standing recommended’) but it’s too bad. It’d be a whole different game. I would have brought 10x the energy literally if it was not rude to do so.
I like to stand up to cheer for 3 pointers, dunks, blocks etc, but definitely am cognizant of not pissing off the people behind me.

I think this is a great idea and something that would be very popular. Devote one section, relatively close to the court, to crazies who want to stand and scream and shout all game long. Soccer does it. It works really well.

We shouldn't sell such tickets to Duke fans. They may send 30,000 people here.
The Duke fan from Carolina really doesn’t care about Syracuse and won’t travel this far North. The “Duke” fans will come from CNY - hopefully will get the great deal $75 tickets and not be close enough to make any difference in the crowd noise.

Yeah I don’t understand the fire marshall concern. In the eighties there was a big screen, about 50 tables, and a local band on a stage for all Big East games. Wasn’t an issue then.

That's a different issue, however. People here are talking about selling additional tickets for the backcourt area only. In the past, it was people who had purchased seats that would hang around back there. So for the Duke game, you are talking about 36,000 people in seats and then what, another 2-3,000 in the backcourt area. I could see how that's a fire marshal concern.

The Duke fan from Carolina really doesn’t care about Syracuse and won’t travel this far North. The “Duke” fans will come from CNY - hopefully will get the great deal $75 tickets and not be close enough to make any difference in the crowd noise.

Yup. They’re the people who are Bama fans in football, and have never even set foot in North Carolina. Worst sports fans ever.

Why would a Bama fan be caught dead in North Carolina?

Huh? My point was the typical “Duke fan” you’ll come across in Upstate NY is a Duke b-ball fan/Bama football fan, and has zero connection to either school or state.

I believe the Duke game will meet your criteria!

I like to stand up to cheer for 3 pointers, dunks, blocks etc, but definitely am cognizant of not pissing off the people behind me.
I also will leap to my feet to cheer the big plays. If the team is playing well, many people in my section stand up to cheer the team as they go to a time out. I have been to many games where people stand and cheer for minutes at a time to “help” our team win a close game. But I can’t stand and cheer the entire game. I clap and cheer constantly as I am seated. I shout, “Okay, guys, let’s go!” As a compulsive tic.

I have a minor complaint about the last game. They threw t shirts at every time out! Normally in the game they’ll throw t’s for three’s. Now, come to think of it, we did have 13 (?) 3’s that game, but this was above and beyond that. It was distracting. People would be so excited about getting a (crappy) t shirt that they would forget a game was going on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom