Some hard decisions have to be made with this program | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Some hard decisions have to be made with this program

Fan support - (a) stop giving away our best home games; (b) the ACC league slate is MUCH more attractive to the average SU fan than the Big East opponents we've had since 2004.

We've only just begun winning again, and after last year's collapse and this year's slow start, it's no surprise that the attendance wasn't better. And if you go back to the year before that, when we last made a bowl, that season we had a terrible home record and won most of our games on the road.

So, if Doug is so bummed about attendance, he should have given it another couple seasons. It's hard to say the turnaround is complete and everyone in CNY should be "won back" by now. We've only just appeared to turn the corner, and now he's leaving at the first viable opportunity. I'm sorry, but that sucks for fans.

Donors - that's the Doctor's job. It beats the hell out of me why we haven't gotten any significant donations out of our NFL alumni. Don't they give a damn about the alma mater that helped them make their living?

I agree about the big games ti Metlife. Said the same myself.

As to ex players, I have no doubt many of them turned on the program due to feeling P was mistreated when he was let go.

I also know there were 2-3 pretty decent donors that disappeared over the past fee years. Don't know why.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I wonder if the NFL Alumni piece has anything to do with the rumors as to the treatment of former players?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yes, there was some crybaby crap from one guy this fall, but that could have been him not respecting that he needed to schedule it with the coaches, not just show up and expect everyone to fawn over him and his kid.

The only thing I can think is that the BOT isn't willing to mortgage SU's financial future on ACC funds that could possibly (though remotely unlikely) decrease with the ever changing landscape of conference realignment.

Yes, there was some crybaby crap from one guy this fall, but that could have been him not respecting that he needed to schedule it with the coaches, not just show up and expect everyone to fawn over him and his kid.

That's exactly it.

Where are all the ex players?

I always wondered about players like Larry Csonka, Daryl Johnston etc. Just like I wondered about guys like Rony Seikaly even Hakim on the basketball side who could have made some contributions. Didn't Fucillo play at SU? How about Congel? I do think that people assume SU has big $ and doesn't need their money. Gee, a retired Chemistry professor at Oswego State just left 5 million$ to them for a new science/engineering building.

I agree about the big games ti Metlife. Said the same myself.

As to ex players, I have no doubt many of them turned on the program due to feeling P was mistreated when he was let go.

I also know there were 2-3 pretty decent donors that disappeared over the past fee years. Don't know why.

Hmm. In hindsight, P maybe should have named Burton a captain.

Enough of the BS. HCDM is friggin killing the momentum of the program.

If I were TGD I would do this (not necessarily in this exact order):

Tell Doug he has until Monday morning at 0830 to "shitt or get off the pot" with the NFL as I have set up a presser. You will have until 0830 to formally resign...then I will hold a presser to announce that HCDM has either resigned, been fired or will be retained. I will offer HCDM $2M a year and 50% raises for the staff.

Pull in Shafer and Hackett this weekend and tell them I will hire one of you as HC if Doug doesn't stay. I hope the one who doesn't get hired will stay on staff but will understand if not.

I will call The Wee One and tell her: We need a commitment from the University for a practice facility and more $$$ for coaches. If she balks I will resign at the end of the school year. I will tell TWE that fundraising for the new facility is My #1 priority...and give her milestones. I will build in incentives to meet goals.

At my 0830 presser I will announce the status of HCDM and the announcement of the new practice facility and an increase of the coaches pay scale to remain competitive. I'd fully expect only 50% or so of the coaches will stay if I hire a new coach...that is okay. If HCDM is gone..I will tell the community that a short search will be held for a replacement for HCDM.
yep at some point early next week the time passed is enough. or get off the pot time by then.

http://campaign.syr.edu/about-the-campaign/our-endowment/

MaxwellCuse - this shows endowment funds under $1 billion in 2012. Also states roughly 53% is unrestricted. not a large endowment for this size institution. U of Rochester is bigger. I have no clue as to what is required for football upgrade but my guess would be it is closer to $50 million than $10 million and that is around 10% of unrestricted funds.

I can agree with the comments about buying up real estate but those decisions are in the past and were made by the appropriate people. Where that affects you is trying to run multiple campaigns at the same time. Tough to hit big donors for pledges to support multiple efforts.

Oh well, it doesn't matter now with Coach Marrone but the decisions are still there for the school going forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom