Some leftover tidbits on the hiring of Fran Brown (this is gonna be long)... | Syracusefan.com

Some leftover tidbits on the hiring of Fran Brown (this is gonna be long)...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
If you've ever read any posts by me, you more than likely know that I work at James Madison University. The past month has been crazy for my alma mater's football program and the football program at the school where I work now.

Curt Cignetti fallout
On the heels of the Fran Brown hire, Curt Cignetti left JMU for Indiana. As I said in a few posts here, as we were all prognosticating SU's new coach - there was no chance Cigs was coming to SU, and thank God for that. Personally, I think the dude will be an unmitigated disaster in the Big Ten.

Suffice it to say - he's not a real class individual. Awkward best describes his character. Awkward, introverted, and anal-retentive. I didn't like him at JMU, and I didn't like him at Indiana. He won at JMU in part because JMU puts a lot of money into the program and has state-of-the-art facilities and a deep recruiting base. That's not to say he's not a good coach. I think he is. I don't think he realizes how difficult it will be to win at Indiana. Everett Whithers and Mike Houston both led great JMU football teams. They moved on and stunk. I think Cignetti is in for an uphill climb.

Bob Chesney and Syracuse
I am good friends with a person who was a member of the hiring committee for the new JMU coach. Much like Syracuse, JMU had to move quickly to hire a coach. They looked at Rutgers DC, a few coaches in the Midwest, and our favorite Holy Cross coach, Bob Chesney.

They loved Chesney. He was supremely prepared for the interview and was dynamic and excited. He also thought he would have already been the SU head coach. He met with SU's committee and was told he was a finalist. He told the JMU folks he was shocked when he didn't get the position because everything he heard from SU was he would most likely be the next hire.

He was disappointed not to get the job as he would have taken it if offered. He was frank and upfront with the JMU hiring committee on that. He accepted the JMU offer and will now lead the Dukes. From everything I've heard about him from my friends close to the program - he's a winner. He's a rising star and will win anywhere he goes because of his A) personality B) coaching acumen and C) attention to detail.

Fran Brown
From the tea leaves and what I've been told firsthand hand, Chesney was the leader for the SU position until Coach Fran got into the race. He blew away the SU hiring committee. So much so that they were willing to go with the unconventional hiring of a d-backs coach with no coordinator experience because of his presentation to SU about his plans for the program, knowing what I know about how Chesney comported himself with JMU and his attention to detail on the program, Fran must have really awed the SU folks because Chesney is the real deal.

The Future
Both schools got the right guy. I think Chesney would be successful at SU because he knows how to build a winning culture and has an incredibly sharp football mind. Remember, he's the son of a coach. He has lived and breathed football his whole life.

But Fran Brown is a unicorn. I was ready to write a post in late November about whether SU needed to think about moving down a division in football. I had historical charts looking at Colgate and Holy Cross when two-platoon football started. Both teams were regional players and sometimes national players. Two-platoon football slowly corroded both programs from the inside until they had to drop down a level.

My post will focus on how SU (much like the 'Gate and Holy Cross) does not have the money to compete in a BCS/CFP modern college football world. Regardless of coach, they would always be hamstrung by the limits a small Northeastern university has built into its DNA. At the time, I was fine with keeping basketball relevant and dropping the football program down a notch. I thought it was the inevitable conclusion to a century of Syracuse football.

Man, how can two weeks change things! When I say Fran Brown is a unicorn, that's exactly what I mean. I'm unsure if he's more Vince Lombardi or Greg Robinson regarding coaching. What I do know is he's a northeast guy, a black George DeLeone with his New Jersey ties. He has a vision that his coaching buddies have bought into. So much so that they gave up jobs at Texas A&M (a better job) and Colorado (arguably a better job) to do the same at Syracuse. That seldom happens for Syracuse football.

The Fate of Northeast Football
We needed a coach who understood the Northeast and could see there was an opportunity to build a dominant Northeast program. Schiano gave it a run at Rutgers. Rhule had some success at Temple. No one in nearly thirty years has put together a staff of coaches at a Northeast university that rivals the Northeast recruiting prowess of the staff Coach Fran is putting together.

You can feel the difference in the air. Hang on to your hats, folks. We have a Northeast guy with a Northeast vision and the coaches to fulfill that vision. Seemingly, the alumni whales can feel it, too. They are making big donations for the first time in years to a football program at its lowest low LESS THAN A MONTH AGO.

This coaching hire was SU's last chance to regain relevance in big-time college football. The goalposts are moving so quickly toward creating a new "power" division that I feared SU would be among those left out and left to wither on the vine. I still fear that could happen, but I have some faith that the alumni and this coaching staff can bridge that gap and make SU a relevant national player again.

And we'll see. Perhaps Coach Fran will get SU to that spot again where we don't need to hire three of the best Northeast recruiters in the country to keep the program afloat. That's my hope. Go Orange!

If you've ever read any posts by me, you more than likely know that I work at James Madison University. The past month has been crazy for my alma mater's football program and the football program at the school where I work now.

Curt Cignetti fallout
On the heels of the Fran Brown hire, Curt Cignetti left JMU for Indiana. As I said in a few posts here, as we were all prognosticating SU's new coach - there was no chance Cigs was coming to SU, and thank God for that. Personally, I think the dude will be an unmitigated disaster in the Big Ten.

Suffice it to say - he's not a real class individual. Awkward best describes his character. Awkward, introverted, and anal-retentive. I didn't like him at JMU, and I didn't like him at Indiana. He won at JMU in part because JMU puts a lot of money into the program and has state-of-the-art facilities and a deep recruiting base. That's not to say he's not a good coach. I think he is. I don't think he realizes how difficult it will be to win at Indiana. Everett Whithers and Mike Houston both led great JMU football teams. They moved on and stunk. I think Cignetti is in for an uphill climb.

Bob Chesney and Syracuse
I am good friends with a person who was a member of the hiring committee for the new JMU coach. Much like Syracuse, JMU had to move quickly to hire a coach. They looked at Rutgers DC, a few coaches in the Midwest, and our favorite Holy Cross coach, Bob Chesney.

They loved Chesney. He was supremely prepared for the interview and was dynamic and excited. He also thought he would have already been the SU head coach. He met with SU's committee and was told he was a finalist. He told the JMU folks he was shocked when he didn't get the position because everything he heard from SU was he would most likely be the next hire.

He was disappointed not to get the job as he would have taken it if offered. He was frank and upfront with the JMU hiring committee on that. He accepted the JMU offer and will now lead the Dukes. From everything I've heard about him from my friends close to the program - he's a winner. He's a rising star and will win anywhere he goes because of his A) personality B) coaching acumen and C) attention to detail.

Fran Brown
From the tea leaves and what I've been told firsthand hand, Chesney was the leader for the SU position until Coach Fran got into the race. He blew away the SU hiring committee. So much so that they were willing to go with the unconventional hiring of a d-backs coach with no coordinator experience because of his presentation to SU about his plans for the program, knowing what I know about how Chesney comported himself with JMU and his attention to detail on the program, Fran must have really awed the SU folks because Chesney is the real deal.

The Future
Both schools got the right guy. I think Chesney would be successful at SU because he knows how to build a winning culture and has an incredibly sharp football mind. Remember, he's the son of a coach. He has lived and breathed football his whole life.

But Fran Brown is a unicorn. I was ready to write a post in late November about whether SU needed to think about moving down a division in football. I had historical charts looking at Colgate and Holy Cross when two-platoon football started. Both teams were regional players and sometimes national players. Two-platoon football slowly corroded both programs from the inside until they had to drop down a level.

My post will focus on how SU (much like the 'Gate and Holy Cross) does not have the money to compete in a BCS/CFP modern college football world. Regardless of coach, they would always be hamstrung by the limits a small Northeastern university has built into its DNA. At the time, I was fine with keeping basketball relevant and dropping the football program down a notch. I thought it was the inevitable conclusion to a century of Syracuse football.

Man, how can two weeks change things! When I say Fran Brown is a unicorn, that's exactly what I mean. I'm unsure if he's more Vince Lombardi or Greg Robinson regarding coaching. What I do know is he's a northeast guy, a black George DeLeone with his New Jersey ties. He has a vision that his coaching buddies have bought into. So much so that they gave up jobs at Texas A&M (a better job) and Colorado (arguably a better job) to do the same at Syracuse. That seldom happens for Syracuse football.

We needed a coach who understood the Northeast and could see there was an opportunity to build a dominant Northeast program. Schiano gave it a run at Rutgers. Rhule had some success at Temple. No one in nearly thirty years has put together a staff of coaches at a Northeast university that rivals the Northeast recruiting prowess of the staff Coach Fran is putting together.

You can feel the difference in the air. Hang on to your hats, folks. We have a Northeast guy with a Northeast vision and the coaches to fulfill that vision. Seemingly, the alumni whales can feel it, too. They are making big donations for the first time in years to a football program at its lowest low LESS THAN A MONTH AGO.

This coaching hire was SU's last chance to regain relevance in big-time college football. The goalposts are moving so quickly toward creating a new "power" division that I feared SU would be among those left out and left to wither on the vine. I still fear that could happen, but I have some faith that the alumni and this coaching staff can bridge that gap and make SU a relevant national player again.

And we'll see. Perhaps Coach Fran will get SU to that spot again where we don't need to hire three of the best Northeast recruiters in the country to keep the program afloat. That's my hope. Go Orange!
I have always felt the University had a lot of wealthy Alumni, who weren't asked to support the sports program's.
It seems that The hiring of Fran has awakened a group of people willing to support excellence.

All in!

No need to pour, I'll drink straight out of the pitcher!

0*oFOdEMXwdOaGwnfo.gif

Last edited:

Curt Cignetti fallout

Bob Chesney and Syracuse

Fran Brown

The Future

Appreciate all of the tidbits, both from the SU and JMU side. I’m also very familiar with the dukes and consider them my team behind Cuse. We may be the only dual SU and JMU fans around here.

Fran Brown has done more to energize this fan base than anything I’ve seen since the Clemson win. I remember thinking we would build off of that win and get involved with some bigger recruits but it really never came to fruition. With recruiting, it does really seem to come down to either “having it” or not (unless you’ve got a lot of NIL funds). Fran Brown certainly has it whereas I’m not sure any other coach in the last ~20 years here has. If he has half the coaching ability as he has recruiting ability, we are going to be a huge headache for our opponents moving forward. Turning around the negative mindset of Cuse football fans seems almost like a miracle but I really feel like everyone has and/or will buy in. It’ll either be a massive success story for the program or an enormous let down. I love taking a shot on a grand slam hire. I was a long time supporter of hiring Mullen but I don’t think he’d have the same juice in 10 days that Fran Brown has right now, which I believe says a lot because Mullen has some star power.

In summary, it just feels good to feel good about Syracuse football again! I’m letting my hopes get up again for this program.

Curt Cignetti fallout

Bob Chesney and Syracuse

Fran Brown

The Future

Good post, but I disagree about us a month ago being the lowest of the low. The Grob era was the lowest of the low, just ahead of Shafer's last 2 years. Sure there have been big disappointments after fast starts the last two years but we did make a bowl back-to-back for the first time in 10 years. That's something at least.

Last edited:
Good post, but I disagree about us a month ago being the lowest of the low. The Grob era was the lowest of the low, just ahead of Shafer's last 2 years. Sure there have been big disappointments after fast starts the last two years but we did make a bowl back-to- back for the first time in 10 years. That's something at least.

Yes, but the low for me boiled down to this:

Dino was recruiting and coaching like we were an FCS mid-major school. It's where he came from and he couldn't sustain and maintain the jump to where he was and what we needed... and we regressed to that and it became painfully obvious he never should have been extended (hindsight 20/20 and all that, of course...)

We devolved to FCS caliber school with perennial depth issues in the ACC... getting kicked around like a tomato can.

It was a palatable try and fail and very discouraging and depressing

GERG and TGD were both out of their depths, as was Cantor, and that became fairly obvious early on, but it was not the slow bleed season-good-starts and wheels fly-off cycle of depression that Dino oversaw... and the in-game coaching and clock mismanagement - criminal.

Curt Cignetti fallout

Bob Chesney and Syracuse

Fran Brown

The Future

They were not anywhere close to its lowest

Dino was recruiting and coaching like we were an FCS mid-major school. It's where he came from and he couldn't sustain and maintain the jump to where he was and what we needed... and we regressed to that and it became painfully obvious he never should have been extended (hindsight 20/20 and all that, of course...)

We devolved to FCS caliber school with perennial depth issues in the ACC... getting kicked around like a tomato can.

GERG and TGD were both out of their depths, as was Cantor, and that became fairly obvious early on, but it was not the slow bleed season-good-starts and wheels fly-off cycle of depression that Dino oversaw... and the in-game coaching and clock mismanagement - criminal.
1702702861811.jpeg

That was the low point.

1702702992927.jpeg

Or this.

Or this reject from the lollipop guild.

Good post, but I disagree about us a month ago being the lowest of the low. The Grob era was the lowest of the low, just ahead of Shafer's last 2 years. Sure there have been big disappointments after fast starts the last two years but we did make a bowl back-to-back for the first time in 10 years. That's something at least.
I disagree. Syracuse was still relevant when GRob tanked the program. The arms race of college football wasn't at its peak yet. I believed SU could make a new hire and turn it around in pretty quick order. They were still a name in college football. Doug Marrone did that.

Since then, this program has been peripherally relevant, and that loss to BC was a nail in the coffin of a coach who was a great leader of men but not a great head football coach. In that decade since Marrone left, the college football landscape had shifted in ways that it had not since two-platoon football debuted.

We are now in a place where the only thing that matters is money, money, money. Something SU has always been short of. Even in the '90s heyday, they did it on a shoestring, but they weren't so far away from the top of the sport because it hadn't yet become a semi-professional league.

The next hire for the program was pretty much it. Get it wrong, and in 3-5 years, the NCAA, ESPN, and the powers of college football plan to move FBS to two tiers. If SU continues to be mediocre, there's a better-than-even chance they'll be in that lower tier.

That's why I think it was the lowest of the low. I didn't see a way to hire the type of coach we would need to make us relevant again. 2008-2009, we needed someone to keep us clinging to relevance. The fact that GameDay did a HUGE story on SU football in 2008 about how far we'd fallen proved SU was still relevant enough. We are teetering on the brink right now and need this kind of electricity in the program.

If Coach Fran can pull this off and string together a few 8 and 9-win seasons, it will be a reclamation project that potentially changes the course of big-time college athletics at SU. I really don't believe I'm overstating that based on where college football is now and where it will go in the next 5-10 years.

1998 JMU grad here. So I'm also on the purple/gold/orange train.
Hey! You were there before they expanded to the other side of 81. Have you been back recently? I've taught here for around 15 years, and the amount of change that's happened in that time is mind-boggling. I can't imagine what it was like in 1998.

Can you recall how many undergrads were there in '98?

They were not anywhere close to its lowest
Please see my opus :))) on why I think it was the lowest. I don't think the program is as miserable talent-wise as it was then, but I do think the stakes are so much higher right now, especially for the future of a viable Northeastern football program.

Believe me, I lived through the GRob years. I remember how helpless it all felt! I think the state of the program (facilities, talent) and the gap between them and the powers was the largest it has ever been. I still think this past month is the most defining moment in this program's history.

The stakes with where the NCAA is angling FBS to go and the obvious play the richest conferences are making to create a few super conferences and everyone else made this hire feel like the last gasp of SU football being viable in the future.

Dino did a good job of raising the level of the program, just not enough. He plateaued and JW needed to find a guy that could take the program a notch or two higher.

good top half, not enough depth to sustain.

you can attack the issue by finding a guy that can squeeze everything from a low margin for error roster or find a guy that can maximize talent acquisition.

im all in on the talent approach, well know a lot by the end of spring ball

Heard Chesney on DC radio this past week, he came across great. He's going to knock it out of the park at JMU.

That being said, happy we got who we got.
Jumping from FCS Holy Cross to G5 JM is the right amount for a coach moving up.

Hey! You were there before they expanded to the other side of 81. Have you been back recently? I've taught here for around 15 years, and the amount of change that's happened in that time is mind-boggling. I can't imagine what it was like in 1998.

Can you recall how many undergrads were there in '98?

I believe there were about 11,000 undergrads around that time. Out-of-state tuition was $8000 a year (now $30,000--insane).

I haven't been back in probably 20 years. Back then the convocation center was more or less the only thing across 81.

When I was there, JMU was an average team in the"Yankee Conference."

Good post and appreciate the inside info. Definitely seemed like it was going to be Chesney for a little while

I disagree. Syracuse was still relevant when GRob tanked the program. The arms race of college football wasn't at its peak yet. I believed SU could make a new hire and turn it around in pretty quick order. They were still a name in college football. Doug Marrone did that.

Since then, this program has been peripherally relevant, and that loss to BC was a nail in the coffin of a coach who was a great leader of men but not a great head football coach. In that decade since Marrone left, the college football landscape had shifted in ways that it had not since two-platoon football debuted.

We are now in a place where the only thing that matters is money, money, money. Something SU has always been short of. Even in the '90s heyday, they did it on a shoestring, but they weren't so far away from the top of the sport because it hadn't yet become a semi-professional league.

The next hire for the program was pretty much it. Get it wrong, and in 3-5 years, the NCAA, ESPN, and the powers of college football plan to move FBS to two tiers. If SU continues to be mediocre, there's a better-than-even chance they'll be in that lower tier.

That's why I think it was the lowest of the low. I didn't see a way to hire the type of coach we would need to make us relevant again. 2008-2009, we needed someone to keep us clinging to relevance. The fact that GameDay did a HUGE story on SU football in 2008 about how far we'd fallen proved SU was still relevant enough. We are teetering on the brink right now and need this kind of electricity in the program.

If Coach Fran can pull this off and string together a few 8 and 9-win seasons, it will be a reclamation project that potentially changes the course of big-time college athletics at SU. I really don't believe I'm overstating that based on where college football is now and where it will go in the next 5-10 years.

ESPN did that gameday feature piece on SU's decline in 2008 (?), showed you that SU was still relevant in college football at the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom