sorry but coaching is a problem | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

sorry but coaching is a problem

Cmon, just go with this and move on...
200w.gif
when I made that post 4 months ago it was meant to be at least in part hyperbolic, and it was before we played a game. brissett, sidibe, dolezaj, moyer, and Thorpe were complete unknowns. chukwu looked like a guy that could maybe play 10 minutes after what he did last year. we thought battle could score but didn't have a clue what to expect from howard. after watching the team play through the non-conference season I thought this was a tournament team, and I think others agreed. we had a couple of unexpected wins but also some poor losses (SBU, ND, WF, GT). to start the season I didn't think we were a tourney team, after watching the team for two months I thought we were. now we essentially have to beat UNC to get in, but apparently I am the big idiot

when I made that post 4 months ago it was meant to be at least in part hyperbolic, and it was before we played a game. brissett, sidibe, dolezaj, moyer, and Thorpe were complete unknowns. chukwu looked like a guy that could maybe play 10 minutes after what he did last year. we thought battle could score but didn't have a clue what to expect from howard. after watching the team play through the non-conference season I thought this was a tournament team, and I think others agreed. we had a couple of unexpected wins but also some poor losses (SBU, ND, WF, GT). to start the season I didn't think we were a tourney team, after watching the team for two months I thought we were. now we essentially have to beat UNC to get in, but apparently I am the big idiot

This board has really become two sides entrenched in their own camps. Those who feel that criticism of JB is fair given the program’s slide over the last four years or so, and those that worship the ground he walks on.

If you dare question the HOF coach, or offer any relevant critique, you’re marked and ridiculed.

This board has really become two sides entrenched in their own camps. Those who feel that criticism of JB is fair given the program’s slide over the last four years or so, and those that worship the ground he walks on.

If you dare question the HOF coach, or offer any relevant critique, you’re marked and ridiculed.

The funny thing is many who “worship the ground he walks on” have criticized him too. Just not for anything and everything, and not in every single post we make in a better than expected throwaway season where we all expected to suck.

If we’ve got the roster we expect to have next year and we’re on the bubble again, I’ll be the first one saying that it’s a huge disappointment.

Marked and ridiculed? Now that's funny.

You’re just making stuff up at this point.

You drones on this hoops board are followers. Its comical . 1 NC delivered by melo. Numerous shortcomings in the tourney ousted by lower seeds, a vast majority of wins in the dome against the who's who of NYS mid majors.

You drones on this hoops board are followers. Its comical . 1 NC delivered by melo. Numerous shortcomings in the tourney ousted by lower seeds, a vast majority of wins in the dome against the who's who of NYS mid majors.

Some of you people are sad.

any idea how many schools have been to the Final Four more times since 1985? Here's a hint. It's a pretty small list. Only 5 schools have more final fours in the expanded era of the tournament. Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas and MSU. Then it Cuse and Uconn. I think that shows how successful we have been and might show how dim and uneducated your view is

Cuse!

I'm all in on JB, but I'd like to see a an outlet pass or a fast break every now and again. The entrenchment seems to be based on the repetitive narratives.
Some posters like Tee and Jordoo don't come around much anymore. Wonder why?

Last edited:

I don't mind criticizing JB. There are things I wish he would do differently. But I can't stand when people play loose with the facts to demean the things he has accomplished. NC delivered by Melo? Sure - but most championship teams have a really good player. Why penalize him for that? A vast majority of wins against mid-majors? You know his Big East coaching record was pretty solid? 366 wins with a really good winning percentage.

He even lets his assistants talk to the media. I figured you would love him for that as much as you criticize Dino for that. Just another clown post from you

I don't mind criticizing JB. There are things I wish he would do differently. But I can't stand when people play loose with the facts to demean the things he has accomplished. NC delivered by Melo? Sure - but most championship teams have a really good player. Why penalize him for that? A vast majority of wins against mid-majors? You know his Big East coaching record was pretty solid? 366 wins with a really good winning percentage.

He even lets his assistants talk to the media. I figured you would love him for that as much as you criticize Dino for that. Just another clown post from you
What shocks me is that this poster loves Shafer for his blue collar persona and love for CNY.
When that is JB to a tee.

He is loyal to the school and area.
I give JB some crap but I don’t question his HOF and love for school.

I get frustrated at certain aspects but the guy is a legend.

There can be nuanced debate when talking about JB. He's a lot better than people like Ish think he is, but he isn't perfect. That said ISH thinks Notre Dame basketball is the best thing since sliced bread. Brought it up continuously last year.

I am going to disagree with these statement.

I am a huge JB supporter.

I do not mind criticism, however, as long as I:

A) feel it is well-thought out and fair and
B) that the poster brings a balanced viewpoint to the table

The posters I tend to go after are the ones who:

A) make statements that, over time, contradict themselves
B) make statements that, over time, clearly become ridiculous
C) posters who provide nothing but snark and venom - disappearing during good stretches and after wins but showing up en masse with volume posting when team loses or is going through a bad stretch.
D) posters who make generic, rather than specific, criticisms without evidence to back it up (ie. things like "the game has passed him by")...

There are any number of posters who have been pretty critical of JB this year to whom I have not said a word because I believe either that the criticism is justified or, even if I don't agree with it, have a posting history that suggests a good degree of objectivity.

The tone of the post also matters.

I saw you liked this post but Hak, this would certainly qualify as one of those posts that I would go after.

Precious little substance as well as being factually incorrect (vast majority of JB's wins are certainly not against NY State mid-majors)...

That's not at all true. A fairly large majority of posters don't worship the ground JB walks upon and they recognize that he has flaws. I think that it's a little too easy to blame and bury JB for this team's slide into borderline bubble obscurity. He definitely carry's some blame, but the NCAA sanctions (losing scholarships and recruiting visits) served to bury this program more than anything else. It's difficult in this land of "what have you done for me lately" to have any kind of patience for mediocrity with such a proud, dare I say distinguished, program as Syracuse Basketball. Let's see what the future holds. I'm optimistic. FU NCAA! Go Cuse!

BTW, you need 8-9 or 10 competent players to eventually whittle this down to the best 7 players come tourney or crunch time. We have not had this luxury over the last few years. This looks to change soon.

(What a thread. I miss football.)

There are things to question when it comes to coaching. Always are. There are fans on Duke's board grumpy with K. What kills me is this insistence on it being *the* reason we've had a few tough years when those rough years match up perfectly with the sanctions. Let's play a game of more likely:

a) JAB, HoF coach with multiple FF and a NC forgot how to coach or the game is passing him by
b) sanctions make it so we get hit harder by defections, injuries, and recruiting misses than the other teams in the best CBB conference

I open to the idea that it's a combo of a and b - but if we're going with more likely? It's b by a mile and anyone saying otherwise is ignorant of the the facts.

What’s JB supposed to do this season? He would’ve played TT and Thorpe. Marek still would’ve played some because he has some IQ. He literally has nobody else to play since HW got injured. Bourama would play more if not for his knees. That’s like 7.5 solid guys right there. Totally fine. I love how some posters (and analysts on TV) completely forget or omit that we literally have nobody to play yet lament how all these guys are playing 38-40 mpg. There is nobody else left. It’s certainly fair to criticize in other areas but in terms of not developing a bench this year? There is no bench!

I saw you liked this post but Hak, this would certainly qualify as one of those posts that I would go after.

Precious little substance as well as being factually incorrect (vast majority of JB's wins are certainly not against NY State mid-majors)...

That’s fair. I think a lot of my frustrations have a built in recently bias.

I was incredibly critical of JB last year when I thought he did a really bad job with a team he touted over the summer.

I think the excessive criticism this year is ridiculous. He has this team playing as hard as any SU team I've seen.

Next year the excuses end. If we're watching the bubble 5 years in a row, then he needs to go.

I was incredibly critical of JB last year when I thought he did a really bad job with a team he touted over the summer.

I think the excessive criticism this year is ridiculous. He has this team playing as hard as any SU team I've seen.

Next year the excuses end. If we're watching the bubble 5 years in a row, then he needs to go.

Yup. My feeling as well. I mean there are some scheme issues offensively one can certainly criticize so I don’t necessarily think that aspect is “ridiculous.” It is like pulling teeth trying to often generate more movement especially off the ball. They DO want more movement often because the players and Boeheim talk about it after games over and over. Stagnant this, stagnant that. More movement, more movement. But, in terms of bench and wearing players down there literally is no other choice. But, yeah, we need the current players to improve next season and not to be on the damn bubble again.