sorry but coaching is a problem | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

sorry but coaching is a problem

Oh come on, , most Cuse homers admit that we rode Melo to that ship DON'T get me wrong , i grew up with the big east and JB battling JT, RM, and LC in the Big East. I get it. I loved it. Thing is if we are a top 10 team over the last 30 years , you would never know it bc as a Cuse fan, we have witnessed alot of ugly hoops
You do know that Syracuse had by far the best record in the history of the big East, don't you? And by best record, it isn't really all that close. You know what, I bet you didn't know that.

My case in point ...
The problem is that your take is such a stupid one, it's tough for people not to ridicule you. Almost every school has some bad losses in the tournament. We have had those. We have also had some just terrific wins. That is why the tournament is the beloved sports event that it is. That is why they call it march madness. You know where they got that name? It was after UNC and Duke got beat in the first round by Penn and Rutgers. Or St John's. The regional was in North Carolina and none of the North Carolina crowd showed up. Oh and UNC getting beat by Syracuse back in 1975 was one of those type of losses you were talking about.

You do know that Syracuse had by far the best record in the history of the big East, don't you? And by best record, it isn't really all that close. You know what, I bet you didn't know that.

Honest question. We know how he prefers to scheme (that might be a stretch) offensively. Do you think Boeheim could win a title with those Nova players Jay Wright had?

I’m not talking longevity and such
or a JB vs JW debate. I’m talking right here and now. Could Boeheim run enough food offense to get players clean looks, movement, etc.?

Last edited:

I did know that , bc back then, JB didn't need to leave the dome in the non conference , not til Jan he spent 6 weeks going 18/20-0 til conference play started . It wasnt til about 10-12 years ago when the committee finally called him out after we missed the dance on SOS, that he started leaving the dome before new years day...

This analysis shows JB 12th since 1985 in NCAA performance based on seed. Ahead of K, and Roy.

paine-datalab-izzo-table2.png

Tom Izzo Is The Best Coach In Modern NCAA Tournament History — By Far

JB is even one spot ahead of Kevin Ollie. Ive heard rumors fans on the Boneyard dont appreciate their coach either. Maybe posting this list would help them too.

I did know that , bc back then, JB didn't need to leave the dome in the non conference , not til Jan he spent 6 weeks going 18/20-0 til conference play started . It wasnt til about 10-12 years ago when the committee finally called him out after we missed the dance on SOS, that he started leaving the dome before new years day...
Well, that isn't really true either. But, all of the top programs played the same number of games at home. We went to tournaments all over the place. We went and played in the Kentucky open one year. We went to Hawaii a number of times. We played in the pre season NIT. We played at Michigan. We went to Louisville. We went to New Mexico where they never lost. We won. I could go on and on.

I liked how Phonz kept talking about how often we go iso on offense. It was his polite way of saying that we don't run an offense.

Was at a bar sans sound but that’s a given. We had more assists tonight in awhile which was a pleasant surprise! It’s rough to watch sometimes. So much time is wasted deciding what to do when everybody knows it will be ISO, ugh. :bat:

The problem is that your take is such a stupid one, it's tough for people not to ridicule you. Almost every school has some bad losses in the tournament. We have had those. We have also had some just terrific wins. That is why the tournament is the beloved sports event that it is. That is why they call it march madness. You know where they got that name? It was after UNC and Duke got beat in the first round by Penn and Rutgers. Or St John's. The regional was in North Carolina and none of the North Carolina crowd showed up. Oh and UNC getting beat by Syracuse back in 1975 was one of those type of losses you were talking about.

Actually , i am not even judging him on the tourney alone bc the NCAA tourney as a whole is the worst process to crown a champ in all of sports . Yes , we all love it, we eat it up,,bc ...we bet it. That said, after 4 months of battling it out in conference play, we give teams winning 4 day tourneys auto bids while we keep out major, good teams that went 18-12 in a major conference . Thus , i would never use the tourney as a strict barometer .

Actually , i am not even judging him on the tourney alone bc the NCAA tourney as a whole is the worst process to crown a champ in all of sports . Yes , we all love it, we eat it up,,bc ...we bet it. That said, after 4 months of battling it out in conference play, we give teams winning 4 day tourneys auto bids while we keep out major, good teams that went 18-12 in a major conference . Thus , i would never use the tourney as a strict barometer .
lol Then what exactly is the point that you are trying to make? We have had a great 40 years. What % of schools would gladly have traded places with us?

Well, that isn't really true either. But, all of the top programs played the same number of games at home. We went to tournaments all over the place. We went and played in the Kentucky open one year. We went to Hawaii a number of times. We played in the pre season NIT. We played at Michigan. We went to Louisville. We went to New Mexico where they never lost. We won. I could go on and on.

Only after Jimmy got slapped on the wrist 10-12 years ago for not going out and playing teams in OOC. that's it. ..

Oh come on, , most Cuse homers admit that we rode Melo to that ship DON'T get me wrong , i grew up with the big east and JB battling JT, RM, and LC in the Big East. I get it. I loved it. Thing is if we are a top 10 team over the last 30 years , you would never know it bc as a Cuse fan, we have witnessed alot of ugly hoops
Change your avatar.

Only after Jimmy got slapped on the wrist 10-12 years ago for not going out and playing teams in OOC. that's it. ..
That isn't true. No one slapped JB on the wrist. Anymore than any other school. We played just about anyone that was any good on the road at one point or another.

I don't know which is my favorite. The we were lucky MSU got beat two years ago or we rode Melo to the title. I can't make up my mind which is the dumber take. Let's see, we won a title when we had our best player. Stunner. Or, there was an upset in the tournament before the team could play us. Never mind that we beat the #1 team in our region. Never mind that we almost always beat MSU. I always felt that Jb should have taken the floor and made those free throws that Triche and Coleman missed. Or raced down the court and blocked Smart's shot. He could have done more when we faced the best team in the last 30 years when we lost to the '96 Kentucky team.

lol Then what exactly is the point that you are trying to make? We have had a great 40 years. What % of schools would gladly have traded places with us?

The point is, we didn't go out and play a sig OOC schedule until jimmy missed the tourney .

I don't know which is my favorite. The we were lucky MSU got beat two years ago or we rode Melo to the title. I can't make up my mind which is the dumber take. Let's see, we won a title when we had our best player. Stunner. Or, there was an upset in the tournament before the team could play us. Never mind that we beat the #1 team in our region. Never mind that we almost always beat MSU.
Never mind that we beat the team that beat MSU...and it wasn’t close.

That isn't true. No one slapped JB on the wrist. Anymore than any other school. We played just about anyone that was any good on the road at one point or another.

Lol, when????

I like JB, but you make some good points. Maybe someone like SWC75, who enjoys the compilation of numbers that would seem tedious to any regular human, could compile a count of how many of the wins were against cupcakes. "Most" means >50%, so maybe some of the people coming at you in the manner they are might engage you differently if you could at least partially quantify this.

For the record, Ive havent read most of the thread yet, and if it's as "civil" as Ive seen so far, I probably wont read much more. I owned a JB t-shirt in the original BE days, yet have no problem agreeing that a large portion of the wins came from cupcakes. I was shocked JB's waistline didnt look more like Bernie's. That doesnt mean he didnt have some great wins against elite teams(as well as close losses). Just adding in my 2 cents and trying to stay fairly neutral and hopefully avoid seeing this thread devolve.

The point is, we didn't go out and play a sig OOC schedule until jimmy missed the tourney .
Yeah, we really changed our schedule after missing the tournament that time.

WHAT ? Only in the conference. I challenge you to show OOC games pre
The point is we call BS.

You guys, in this cult , are hot stuff. JB was riduculed for years by national media and known nationally to play a super light OOC. Geeez , this is easy to find.