sorry but coaching is a problem | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

sorry but coaching is a problem

Duke 2-3 getting shredded by UNC so they go to a 1-3-1 token press before falling back to the 2-3 and gives UNC fits.

Would be super cool if we realized there's more you can do on defense besides the 2-3 zone and desperation press.

It paid off this time I guess, but man, what a rookie mistake by Coach K! What a buffoon!

Duke 2-3 getting shredded by UNC so they go to a 1-3-1 token press before falling back to the 2-3 and gives UNC fits.

Would be super cool if we realized there's more you can do on defense besides the 2-3 zone and desperation press.

I don’t disagree.

But it’s easier to do more things well when you have better players.

I don’t disagree.

But it’s easier to do more things well when you have better players.

And more of them.
Or even just more players, period.
But, especially - more better players.

I mean, a guy who quite possibly could have started for us this season, was like their 12th or 13th guy, bolted to the bench - before he transferred.

We wouldn’t have had a basketball history without JB. That’s the giant arse asterisk that comes with every “it’s our coaching” or “we can’t make adjustments” post. But people like to leave it out.

Makes no sense. Guy will have a statue on campus.

We can ride out a few years because of sanctions and few recruiting misses.

It's so strange. You take guys that in HS were good enough to be recruited by SU, but now suddenly they're reluctant and nervous about shooting. What could it be?
In a normal year, a lot of these guys wouldn’t see the court. They need time to develop. This isn’t hard.

In a normal year, a lot of these guys wouldn’t see the court. They need time to develop. This isn’t hard.
Seen all the games this year. Think all these guys would get minutes pretty much anywhere. We have a really tall shot blocking center. A point guard that can go off. A sf that's only scratching his ability. An NBA guy. And, Marek or Moyer could find a role.
You're right. Time to develop.

Nope. I don’t think we focus on them much. Other teams do not have the issues we have in these areas.
Do you follow any other college teams? Watch Mizzou struggle with pressure at the end of games. They've lost several times this year (to both good squads and bad) because they can't inbound the ball and/or bring the ball up the court. It's not like Cuonzo Martin isn't aware of this problem. It's not like they don't work on it in practice. But without a true point guard on the roster, there isn't a real solution. It's one of their few flaws...and it's a big one.

Here's another flaw: Over the last couple weeks, they've gone from being the top free throw shooting team in the SEC at 79%, to outside the top five at 73-74%. Is that Martin's fault?

Every time one of you complains about our issues - whether it be on or off the court - and act like it's only happening to us, I think of Mizzou. Because they go through a lot of the same stuff - on and off the court - and the fan base thinks it only happens to them. Which is more likely: 1) I'm so snake bit that the two teams I follow the most are the only two teams that have these problems, or 2) This is a common occurrence that most college teams deal with.

I went back to January, I cant find anywhere that I said that. I also don't think I would have posted something like that as I have been on the record saying this should be a tourney team.

Just call me Dimes. Always happy to provide an assist to board members with posting dementia...

upload_2018-3-5_6-49-17.png

It's good I finally learned that you can only do one thing well at a time all the time. I used to drink whiskey, bourbon and beer (not together) but found out that I couldn't do all three well so it's whiskey all the time for me. I also stopped chewing gum and walking, had to go only with gum. Thank you JB for enlightening me.

Do you follow any other college teams? Watch Mizzou struggle with pressure at the end of games. They've lost several times this year (to both good squads and bad) because they can't inbound the ball and/or bring the ball up the court. It's not like Cuonzo Martin isn't aware of this problem. It's not like they don't work on it in practice. But without a true point guard on the roster, there isn't a real solution. It's one of their few flaws...and it's a big one.

Here's another flaw: Over the last couple weeks, they've gone from being the top free throw shooting team in the SEC at 79%, to outside the top five at 73-74%. Is that Martin's fault?

Every time one of you complains about our issues - whether it be on or off the court - and act like it's only happening to us, I think of Mizzou. Because they go through a lot of the same stuff - on and off the court - and the fan base thinks it only happens to them. Which is more likely: 1) I'm so snake bit that the two teams I follow the most are the only two teams that have these problems, or 2) This is a common occurrence that most college teams deal with.
I follow a few, Arizona included.

I don’t see it nearly as much with the upper echelon teams. The dribbling and passing in particular are cringeworthy (I’m not necessarily lumping shooting in here but I guess we can). Watch Frank dribble behind the back. His technique is horrible. Watch Chukwu with the ball, he looks like he’d just rather give it to the other team. Oshaes dribbling and passing is horrific.

If comparing ourselves to Missouri is where we are as a program, barf

It's good I finally learned that you can only do one thing well at a time all the time. I used to drink whiskey, bourbon and beer (not together) but found out that I couldn't do all three well so it's whiskey all the time for me. I also stopped chewing gum and walking, had to go only with gum. Thank you JB for enlightening me.
Thinking and Posting???

I don’t see it nearly as much with the upper echelon teams. The dribbling and passing in particular are cringeworthy (I’m not necessarily lumping shooting in here but I guess we can). Watch Frank dribble behind the back. His technique is horrible. Watch Chukwu with the ball, he looks like he’d just rather give it to the other team. Oshaes dribbling and passing is horrific.

Well, comparing ourselves to the upper echelon teams at this moment is unrealistic. So it's not about comparing ourselves to Mizzou specifically, it's about comparing ourselves to everyone not named Duke, Michigan State, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. We are no different than the rest of the field.

I do find it interesting that you mentioned Howard, Chukwu, and Brissett. While all three might have their limitations, you're talking about two of the most improved players on the team and a freshman who is not playing freshman minutes and has improved in several areas over the course of the season. These guys have been coached up.

I don't see it nearly as much with the upper echelon teams. The dribbling and passing in particular are cringeworthy (I’m not necessarily lumping shooting in here but I guess we can). Watch Frank dribble behind the back. His technique is horrible. Watch Chukwu with the ball, he looks like he’d just rather give it to the other team. Oshaes dribbling and passing is horrific.

Not for nothing, but maybe that's why they're considered "upper echelon teams"?
Bad or limited teams, which make up the majority of CBB btw, are just that...bad and limited. I don't know how many games I've watched this season where it was immediately obvious what the outcome was gonna be- only question was by how much. UConn and GTown games were the most fun because you knew right away that they weren't beating the Novas, Wichita Sts., Xaviers, and Cincy's in their respective mid-major leagues.
But at least we put up good fights and gave scares to some of the big boys we played, and I submit we were more limited by attrition then either of our former rivals. It is (was) what it is (was).

Well, comparing ourselves to the upper echelon teams at this moment is unrealistic. So it's not about comparing ourselves to Mizzou specifically, it's about comparing ourselves to everyone not named Duke, Michigan State, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. We are no different than the rest of the field.

I do find it interesting that you mentioned Howard, Chukwu, and Brissett. While all three might have their limitations, you're talking about two of the most improved players on the team and a freshman who is not playing freshman minutes and has improved in several areas over the course of the season. These guys have been coached up.
I’m not saying they haven’t “been coached up”. I’m saying that our players seem to lack fundamentals. It’s been a noticeable and recurring issue.

Not for nothing, but maybe that's why they're considered "upper echelon teams"?
Bad or limited teams, which make up the majority of CBB btw, are just that...bad and limited. I don't know how many games I've watched this season where it was immediately obvious what the outcome was gonna be- only question was by how much. UConn and GTown games were the most fun because you knew right away that they weren't beating the Novas, Wichita Sts., Xaviers, and Cincy's in their respective mid-major leagues.
But at least we put up good fights and gave scares to some of the big boys we played, and I submit we were more limited by attrition then either of our former rivals. It is (was) what it is (was).
Well yeah obviously. Not less than 5 years ago we were an upper echelon team. I think we should continue to strive for that. Right now, fundamentally we don’t seem that close to that.

I’m not saying they haven’t “been coached up”. I’m saying that our players seem to lack fundamentals. It’s been a noticeable and recurring issue.
...a noticeable and recurring issue for most college basketball teams.

Well yeah obviously. Not less than 5 years ago we were an upper echelon team. I think we should continue to strive for that. Right now, fundamentally we don’t seem that close to that.
Right now we don't have the talent we had five years ago. As you know, next year will be different.