Sorry, but it is time... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, but it is time...

There's just no way he's going anywhere until after '22. I'm kind of terrified at what those last 2 recruiting classes will look like when everyone knows whats coming & how empty the cupboards might be left for whoever the successor may be.

I’m sorry but Wildhack can’t be that stupid. It won’t be easy but it will have to be done sooner than later. This scheme won’t work unless you have lottery type studs who can overcome bad fundamentals and barely any structure.

The last few miracle runs to the Final Four and Sweet 16 have masked a terrible trend of Syracuse basketball. There have been many signs of decline -- many thought sanctions were a big part of it.

But this has been, by far, the most disappointing team I have seen since becoming a fan in 1994.

In my humble opinion, it is time for our coaching legend to either make drastic changes on his staff or to move into the retirement phase of his career.

We may make a run in the ACC for awhile, may win a game or two and still might make the tournament as a 12 seed. But this team is not playing to its potential and it is largely at the hands of the head coach and coaching staff.

My first year at Cuse was 75-76 . . . the basketball program has had a long magical run most of that time. But I have to say I agree with much of your post, especially the first paragraph. At this point I would say my expectations for the program feel permanently recalibrated- downward. Previously I felt we were a top twenty team, often top ten, that intermittently experienced an off year or two. Now? Well, I feel like I am witnessing the same problems year in and year out with no hint that they are being addressed. My two pet peeves? Just getting tired of seeing the ball passed around the perimeter and than chucked at the basket (I long for the old days when we played great transition, or slashed to the basket) . . . or having bigs that look like they just started playing basketball in the past year or two. The program feels very stale.

Maybe I'm just feeling particularly let down coming into the year with such high expectations, but it really does feel the problems are more of the systemic type these days and not transient and that the program has throttled to a lower level :(

Ennis season is when the ridiculous overrating of freshman began and putting good but not great college players in the NBA after a few good games as freshmen. Battle and Brissett getting this treatment has crushed our team morale and both of them as players.
You completely missed the point of that post.

The canary has been signing in the mine for a few years now. Unfortunately, many on this board refuse to hear it’s warnings.

Like Rollie in the later years, though, we've been performing in the tourney when we get in. Eventually, the tourney success came to an end for Rollie too. That hasn't happened for us yet but it could, sure. Who's giving odds on Boeheim coaching Cleveland State in 5 years?

I would be stunned if there are any changes before Buddy graduates. I don’t think anyone on the hill has the stones to make a change.

That could very well be true.

Tough spot to be in, when a legend's performance slips a notch.

Said in a thread earlier today to just give me a 6'9 pudgy ND type center for all I care if he can give me 12 and 8 without being a complete dud on D. Because currently we get absolutely 0 on Off from the 5 and some above avg D but nothing crazy. Its definitely not making up for the hole on O.

Is the d even above average though? Neither of them can rebound effectively or move fast enough from side to side to stop a driving guard or forward. They fall for every single pump fake. Let alone they get overpowered by most big centers as well.

It's time for a transition to take place and for JB to hopefully handle it well.

Maybe transition out by the end of 2020. I know it was tried before, but this time the admin just has to enforce it. I suspect JB may not allow this to happen and that is part of the reason he has had so much success.

That last few years have not been fun (even with the tourney success) because the season is a 150 day ride. Let's hope this doesn't get really ugly.

I’m sorry but Wildhack can’t be that stupid. It won’t be easy but it will have to be done sooner than later. This scheme won’t work unless you have lottery type studs who can overcome bad fundamentals and barely any structure.

I hope so. It's kind of terrifying either way. Boeheim IS Syracuse basketball. Kicking the old man out with his kid on the team just doesn't seem like something that I can actually see occurring unless we miss the tourney this year and next 2 and even then Buddy would be heading into his SR year.

I just have absolutely no clue whats to come unless the fan base revolts and stops showing up but I can't really imagine that happening as its the only show in town all winter.

They are not gonna fire JB they are gonna let him coach until his son graduates and that will be the end of it

I’m getting a very strong Charlton Heston “pry this program from my cold dead hands” vibe from how people are talking about JB’s mindset.

That’s been his mindset for years. TinyManInside swears that in the future we’re going to see Zombie Boeheim coaching on the sidelines from beyond the grave.

I hope so. It's kind of terrifying either way. Boeheim IS Syracuse basketball. Kicking the old man out with his kid on the team just doesn't seem like something that I can actually see occurring unless we miss the tourney this year and next and even then Buddy would be heading into his SR year.

I just have absolutely no clue whats to come unless the fan base revolts and stops showing up but I can't really imagine that happening as its the only show in town all winter.

If we miss the tourney this season and next Buddy still has two more seasons to go.

That could very well be true.

Tough spot to be in, when a legend's performance slips a notch.

Think its been a notch for 3 or 4 years. This year might be another...

I hope so. It's kind of terrifying either way. Boeheim IS Syracuse basketball. Kicking the old man out with his kid on the team just doesn't seem like something that I can actually see occurring unless we miss the tourney this year and next 2 and even then Buddy would be heading into his SR year.

Who cares re: Buddy? When the decision is made to make JB step down he can call Few and have Buddy go there. No biggie.

We have been a mediocre basketball program since basically that miracle shot by Ennis vs Pitt. Approaching five calendar years. Our coaching staff is the common denominator — we have had tons of different players.
At least we won that game. I date the start of the trend toward mediocrity to the screwy uniforms against BC.

Who cares re: Buddy? When the decision is made to make JB step down he can call Few and have Buddy go there. No biggie.

I couldn't possibly care less but I am pretty damn certain that is and will be a huge deal.

Based on the recruiting for center, the ship has already sailed.

But hey, we won the national championship with no-jump craig forth, so...
I think we won the national championship because Forth/McNeil were solid enough, not because they were true assets or weapons. We won because we had the best player in college ball that year. But don’t forget—we weren’t even better than UConn that year.

How are we WORSE than last year? It makes no sense.

When do you ever bring all your guys back and bring in a couple talented new players and get worse???

We’re not worse than last year. We’re the same. Last year’s team was crummy except for 4 games in a tournament we barely got into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom