Soul-searching | Syracusefan.com

Soul-searching

Rocco

Watching you.
Now is the time for Marrone to start doing some soul-searching. He needs to make personnel changes, coaching changes and game-day changes. Everything needs to be re-evaluated from top to bottom. We need a ST coach, need better play-calling, need a QB who can be consistent all game, need to come out differently to start every game. If his preparation is so spot on, then the execution simply sucks.

The players need to step up. Way too many mistakes, dropped passes, missed assignments, horrid tackling, bonehead penalties. Alot of this comes down to coaching, but the coaches can't tackle for them, they can't catch the passes for them, they can't make assignments for them and they can't control when a ref throws a PF flag when you commit an idiotic play. The coaches can lead the players to the water, but can't make them drink it. The last 2 games, they've pissed in that water. Really frustrating.

This is a rant, but alot of this stuff is true. The inconsistent nature of this team is baffling. They looked like a top 10 team against WVU, and looked like Auburn High the last 2. I worry about getting to 6 wins. Maybe it is time to begin focusing all of this energy towards 2012, which should have the makings to be the breakout year.

they were not as bad as Auburn High lol, but yeah, some things and people need to be looked at real hard over the remainder of the season.

I would also like to clarify -- I like Daoust and Brumbaugh -- but we should only need 1 DL coach. We need a ST coach, and to be able to have one, they are going to have to trim off the DL. We also need someone entirely focused on the DB's. Is Anselmo helping with LB's too?

We have 2 chances to make a bowl game. That was my hope at the start of the season. We have a chance but not if we play like we did at Louisville or Rutgers or shoot ourselves in the foot like Uconn. I have faith but at this point I'm a little nervous

We have 2 chances to make a bowl game. That was my hope at the start of the season. We have a chance but not if we play like we did at Louisville or Rutgers or shoot ourselves in the foot like Uconn. I have faith but at this point I'm a little nervous
I assume you are calling the Cincy game a loss now? We have 3 chances. At this point, it would only make sense that we put the boots to Cincy and lost the other 2.

Too early to panic.

If they lose Friday, then it's time to panic.
I'm not panicking, I just think it is time to make some changes. We've seen enough of the BS this year, and it needs to be fixed. Hackett needs to go.

I would also like to clarify -- I like Daoust and Brumbaugh -- but we should only need 1 DL coach. We need a ST coach, and to be able to have one, they are going to have to trim off the DL. We also need someone entirely focused on the DB's. Is Anselmo helping with LB's too?

Anselmo is helping with the LB's this year. And I'd almost guarantee Daoust will be moved to another position this off-season. The staff obviously it was more important to develop the DL this year, hence the two coaches. Daoust has also coached the secondary.

We also need someone entirely focused on the DB's. Is Anselmo helping with LB's too?

Shafer is dealing with the DBs and Anselmo is helping with the backers.

Now is the time for Marrone to start doing some soul-searching. He needs to make personnel changes, coaching changes and game-day changes. Everything needs to be re-evaluated from top to bottom. We need a ST coach, need better play-calling, need a QB who can be consistent all game, need to come out differently to start every game. If his preparation is so spot on, then the execution simply sucks...Way too many mistakes, dropped passes, missed assignments, horrid tackling, bonehead penalties.

This is where I really need your help. All of these items are the coaches' fault. And as he is the head coach, they are all his fault! Who puts the players in the game? who hired the coaches? who makes game-day changes? who made the decision on the ST coach? who calls plays? who chose nassib as starter and who is recruiting other QBs? if marrone isnt the one to blame, why doesnt he step aside and introduce us all to whomever is pulling his strings?

he made these choices! those changes you want made were his calls in the first place.

horrid tackling and bonehead penalties and missed assignments and mistakes etc etc etc etc - the head coach's fault.

This is where I really need your help. All of these items are the coaches' fault. And as he is the head coach, they are all his fault! Who puts the players in the game? who hired the coaches? who makes game-day changes? who made the decision on the ST coach? who calls plays? who chose nassib as starter and who is recruiting other QBs? if marrone isnt the one to blame, why doesnt he step aside and introduce us all to whomever is pulling his strings?

he made these choices! those changes you want made were his calls in the first place.

horrid tackling and bonehead penalties and missed assignments and mistakes etc etc etc etc - the head coach's fault.

I can't believe I am actually agreeing with something Tristy says....

I'm not panicking, I just think it is time to make some changes. We've seen enough of the BS this year, and it needs to be fixed. Hackett needs to go.

So you don't think firing coaches midseason would fall under the 'panic' category?

So you don't think firing coaches midseason would fall under the 'panic' category?
I never said fire anyone. I think some coaching changes internally need to happen. For example, moving someone to be the full-time ST coach.

You can go back and read any of my posts after the UConn game, and I said all of the blame always goes back to the coaches as it should. However, there are some things that coaches can't control, dropping balls and making stupid penalties. You quoted a part of my post.
I think Marrone is at full blame right now, but I also think that the players' deserve alot of the blame too.

During the season is NEVER the time to do what you're prescribing. That is post-season stuff. If you do that now, you're basically giving up on the season by resorting to experimentation. We still have a chance to be 8-4 and a decent enough bowl game. If you start shuffling coaches and implementing new ideas now, you cannot continue to practice executing what you already have in place.

During the season is NEVER the time to do what you're prescribing. That is post-season stuff. If you do that now, you're basically giving up on the season by resorting to experimentation. We still have a chance to be 8-4 and a decent enough bowl game. If you start shuffling coaches and implementing new ideas now, you cannot continue to practice executing what you already have in place.

everything that has been practiced? it seems like everything is starting to slip...

there are many things that can be done during the season to amend the team. im not talking about firing all position coaches, changing the QB and switching to a spread.

everything that has been practiced? it seems like everything is starting to slip...

there are many things that can be done during the season to amend the team. im not talking about firing all position coaches, changing the QB and switching to a spread.

"He needs to make personnel changes, coaching changes and game-day changes."

I guess I misunderstood what you were calling for here.

Listening to Coach Marrone at the luncheon today once again proved to me that he is the right guy for the job. The rule is that we are not to discuss what he says at the luncheons on websites/blogs unless we want the luncheons to come to an abrupt end. All I can say is that Coach Marrone is completely different at the luncheons than he is when speaking to the media. If you get a chance to attend one the two remaining luncheons you should go.

The one thing that was clear to me was the rumor on this site that the players are fighting amongst themselves is just that a rumor. The coach is handling the situation with the players/coaching staff the right way in terms of dealing with the two game losing streak and how they are approaching the next three games.

I honestly believe this team will win the next three games since USF, Cincy, and Pitt all run spread offenses and our Okie package defense showed what it could do against WVU. My prediction is we finish the season with an 8-4 record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom