Southwest is coming to SYR | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Southwest is coming to SYR

is there more of demand for Tampa over like FLL or Miami from syracuse or is it an untapped market with less competition?

is there more of demand for Tampa over like FLL or Miami from syracuse or is it an untapped market with less competition?

Probably a lot of demand from CNYers wanting to visit retiree parents or grandparents. I would imagine a lot in driving distance from TPA. I know I have family in range, who know a lot of others that winter transplant from CNY.

Come March, all the Yankee (and, gulp) Red Sox fans can go for spring training.

I am happy for any new service from any airline to any location from Hancock.

That said, it says seasonal and only on Saturdays.

I would think seasonal for flights to Tampa would be a winter thing. Not a thing that starts in April.

Does this run from April to August? Something like that? So we can start flying down just as it gets too hot to tolerate Florida any longer and just warm enough that it is nice to be in CNY. And then stop the service when we actually might want to start flying to Florida.

Seems less than ideal for CNY residents.

I think seasonal will drop a few of the less popular weeks. I fully expect it'll be almost every Saturday.

I flew in on a Thursday to Cuse before the Spring game. The load factor from BWI was under 50%. I hope this was a one off thing. We really need 4 non stops to BWI vs the current 3. Frankly some off the connection times were awful.

I found I could get a good time to fly from Roc/Buf to FLL one way or the other but not both.. kind of a pain to park at one and get back to the other.. my last flight i flew out of Buf left my car in Roc at my kids and he dropped me off in Buf and I flew back into Roc.. then all 4 of my flights got completely rebooked with times that made it a pain and all 4 got delayed but at least I made it home.. They offered me $1200 to not fly back since they were over booked, almost stayed that extra day since I was at my brothers and it wouldnt have cost me anything.

My son flew home at Thanksgiving direct Baltimore to Syracuse. SW lost his luggage. It wound up in Savannah

My brother was scheduled to fly home on Southwest to Denver from here in Kansas City on Friday. More than half of the flights are still cancelled through tomorrow, so he cancelled his reservation and my dad is going to drive with him tomorrow.

My teen daughter flew SW with her friend and their family last year on the same Christmas school break. Was awful. They were stranded in Florida and had trouble getting back. Ended up on Allegient a day later and at a different airport than they originally planned.

any time you fly at peak season with bad weather you have that risk

the last couple of days have been bad again in several airports.

We all want the convenience of flying but when it has issues everyone gets upset.

Its like when you drive thru PA and you know at some point you will have that hr of un moving traffic

Agreed...I just got my United flight canceled to EWR for the Pinstripe Bowl...Christmas time...it sucks as everything is at peak capacity. United could get me there to EWR around the 4th Q of the game. Fortunately I got my airfare and hotel (thank you Hilton) refunded.

I've actually had nothing but good experiences on SWA. I just wish they would add a 4th BWI flight or 1 extra flight through Midway to SYR.

Agreed...I just got my United flight canceled to EWR for the Pinstripe Bowl...Christmas time...it sucks as everything is at peak capacity. United could get me there to EWR around the 4th Q of the game. Fortunately I got my airfare and hotel (thank you Hilton) refunded.

I've actually had nothing but good experiences on SWA. I just wish they would add a 4th BWI flight or 1 extra flight through Midway to SYR.
before all of the crazy, cost was driving the decisions to limit flights and try to make flights as full as possible.. that limited capacity and options for when things get messed up.. Now staffing is more the issue in many cases. no planes or crews so no way to handle when things break.. they dont even have extra planes most of the time to cycle in.

before all of the crazy, cost was driving the decisions to limit flights and try to make flights as full as possible.. that limited capacity and options for when things get messed up.. Now staffing is more the issue in many cases. no planes or crews so no way to handle when things break.. they dont even have extra planes most of the time to cycle in.
Yup...United said technical issues...I figure either a hard broke jet or staffing issue. If it was a wedding or funeral I could've driven 2.5hrs to Orlando and made it up...but not doing that for a game where players are opting out.

The game is changing and I am too.

Cancelled. Their flight was cancelled.

But Southwest doesn't have ownership of the airport. Why are the police acting on behalf of a private corporation that doesn't even own the property they're trespassing their customers from?

recently flew through BWI, and no weather or other network delays of note and sat on the tarmac for a good hour-ish. Almost missed my connecting flight since we were "waiting for a gate". It seemed common place, as there was an area on the tarmac that accommodated SW planes for this purpose (with lane lines and all). Not a lot of love on the plane for BWI as a SW hub to say the least.

recently flew through BWI, and no weather or other network delays of note and sat on the tarmac for a good hour-ish. Almost missed my connecting flight since we were "waiting for a gate". It seemed common place, as there was an area on the tarmac that accommodated SW planes for this purpose (with lane lines and all). Not a lot of love on the plane for BWI as a SW hub to say the least.
BWI is an airport in transition

One wing was a dump and another was very nice.

SYR needs a few more options outta there on SWA

Chicago Midway, Nashville, Long Island MacArthur and Dallas Love or Houston Hobby would really help.

BL: add at least 1 more BWI daily flight and 2 daily through Midway.

Flew southwest to Vegas last night. Was a last minute ticket and they were by far the cheapest. No issues whatsoever. Even the BWI layover was pretty smooth.

I don’t fly them often, but maybe I’ll start. I’m currently searching for a new airline now that I don’t use Alaska air as much anymore. I finally lost my elite status :(

So Seeing that United is reducing capacity and mainline service in general and re-timing their flight to DEN. I loved that mid-afternoon departure window from Hancock, and the early-bird trip from DEN. Hit the sweet spot for me. The new timing is late night inbound, early morning Back to Den. If SWA was smart it would take advantage of the rebasing of the flight time and drawing down of capacity to Chicago/ dc area and add service that takes the United flights' place. Not likely but there is an opportunity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom