Southwest is coming to SYR | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Southwest is coming to SYR

they removed several markets that had to free up a bunch of planes. On a normal day how many flights did SW have in/out of syracuse? 100?

adding 10 flights 10 Vegas also adds some routes to/from vegas if they want.. albany/roc to vegas means that plane could also hope to phoenix or LA or something

they removed several markets that had to free up a bunch of planes. On a normal day how many flights did SW have in/out of syracuse? 100?

3 to Baltimore.
1 to Orlando.

Hancock has Allegiant, Frontier , Jet Blue and Breeze. Albany and Rochester do not have all 4 so that may surfaced in the odd SW decision. I believe Sun Country is being added as well.
8 carriers for a small to medium airport is a lot .
( I am a self proclaimed aviation geek )

Last edited:
Its not only planes its pilots.

Money is driving the decision, they must think they will make more on the new routes.

Hancock has Allegiant, Frontier , Jet Blue and Breeze. Albany and Rochester do not have all 4 so that may surfaced in the odd SW decision. I believe Sun Country is being added as well.
Mr. Aviation Geek. Do you think SYR will add more destinations in the future? Talking if Micron really ramps up etc.

Mr. Aviation Geek. Do you think SYR will add more destinations in the future? Talking if Micron really ramps up etc.
I do , it may be awhile but they are expanding the North terminal ( the one on your left as you go through security). Added space and gates. I believe there are plans for additional parking as well.

I do , it may be awhile but they are expanding the North terminal ( the one on your left as you go through security). Added space and gates. I believe there are plans for additional parking as well.
Between 1000 and 1200 additional parking spaces are being built.

SYR is growing though

Bigger than ROC and close to ALB in traffic

Utica, North Country and Southern Tier all use SYR

SYR is growing though

Bigger than ROC and close to ALB in traffic

Utica, North Country and Southern Tier all use SYR
Add to that 9,000 jobs at Micron =s 40,000 jobs in support = 100,000 ( hard to estimate) increase in population. Could be a great demand . I may or may not be around to see where we are in 20 years… should be interesting.

Between 1000 and 1200 additional parking spaces are being built.

So ultimately it's actually a net loss of gates, but essentially an entirely new airport on the air side.

The article didn't do a good job of articulating that.

But I believe this phased project begins with construction of half a dozen gates on a new concourse south/southwest of the current south concourse, then demolition of the existing north concourse, construction of a new concourse in that area, and so on.

The announcement got surprisingly little buzz a few weeks ago.

So ultimately it's actually a net loss of gates, but essentially an entirely new airport on the air side.

The article didn't do a good job of articulating that.

But I believe this phased project begins with construction of half a dozen gates on a new concourse south/southwest of the current south concourse, then demolition of the existing north concourse, construction of a new concourse in that area, and so on.

The announcement got surprisingly little buzz a few weeks ago.
How I understood it was totally different. I saw renderings that had expansion of the north concourse. I didn’t see any reference to demolitions or loss of gates. Perhaps I misunderstood.

I think we are talking about the proposed 20 year master plan vs the announced "expansion or upgrade" to the concourses. The director said with Micron there will be additional gates/parking/ and food options. Refocusing on SW, the big difference between an Allegiant or Breeze vs SW is that SW is more traditional airline with hubs, where it opens up its entire network to travelers. We can nitpick why they only launched FL and BWI routes, but if you look at load factors SYR wasn't near the bottom of the list so it wasn't enplanements as the reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom