Spring Football starts March 30 | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Football starts March 30

It’s good the offense is moving the ball considering our D will be a strength.
They will not do it but this team needs to let the qb be sacked instead of blown dead. It’s different when they know they are not going to be hit.

In that video, I saw TD receptions by 85, 29, and 20.

With no roster, it is hard to be definitive, but 85 is still surely Courtney Jackson. He has appeared in a lot of video. I suspect he is in the rotation at the slot.

29 appears to still be Trebor Pena. He had at least 2 catches in the scrimmage.

The 20 on the roster that plays offense is walk on Ethan Fischler. Hard to tell for sure but I think it was him with that TD catch (i.e. 20 probably has not been assigned to someone else).

Based on the videos, it looks like Queeley is going to remain in the WR rotation. J Williams appears often. Isaiah Jones and Damien Alford have appeared a number of times. Not seeing Sharod Johnson much. He got moved to defense late last season, along with Barron.

Barron apparently is going to stick on defense. I am assuming he is going to be a linebacker. It would be really interesting if they give him a chance to play rover. Probably too big for that.

Back to the WRs. Taj is of course going to be the featured guy. I am thinking with all these young WRs apparently getting touches and playing time, almost all of which I believe primarily play outside, Taj is probably going to mostly play the slot, though the staff might move him around a lot to make it hard for defenses to shut him down..

The TE situation is fascinating. With Hackett gone, Benson is the logical guy to step in and get most of the playing time. I haven’t seen him get many catches but surely he will be a key piece of the puzzle here.

Mahar has ideal size and it looks like he is getting a chance to show what he can do. I am guessing he is going to play a lot. But Max Mang and even Landon Morris, the true frosh, are shown making some catches. I am happy to see us building up what appears to be quality depth here.

Watching the videos, it looks like the staff is working hard to give as little indication as possible regarding how things are going with the competition for starting positions on the OL

I think I caught of glimpse of Ilaoa at center and another glimpse of Servais at RT.

On defense, it is really hard to figure out who is starting. But with White as the DC, I am not sure it mattters much who starts. Tony is going to play a lot of people and guys who do not start might well end up playing more than guys who do.

Pretty sure Hanna is going to start somewhere. Probably at free safety. Sounds like he is talking control of that spot. One of the first things I will look at in the event the football roster is ever updated will be Rob’s weight. Hoping against hope he worked his butt off in the weight room and got up above 180. Believe he is currrently listed at 168. That really made it hard for him to be successsful last season.

I think Greenwood is the other guy who is fighting for the starting FS position. He is another guy who needed to get stronger. Hope he did damage in the weight room too.

Obviously Garrett Williams is going to start at one CB position.

I think Nunn had the upper hand for the other CB position going into spring but it looks Ike he got beat deep today. If Nunn doesn’t win the job, it probably goes to Chestnut. Guessing Atkinson backs up Willams. But based on the videos we have seen, Adrian Cole seems to be playing a lot. Just don’t know where. He seems best suited to CB. But I believe he was listed as a FS late last season, when he got healthy and started to play some,

Coley is surely going to start somewhere. Guessing rover. You want a longshot here? Maybe Malcolm Folk can jump in and steal the starting job. Tony White has shown he is not afraid to start freshmen in the secondary.

Guessing Carter will start at boundary safety. Labrosse could play most anywhere and who knows, maybe Sharod Johnson or Justin Barron could work their way into the rotation somewhere. Though I am pretty sure Justin is playing linebacker.

The good news is that there are a lot of bodies in the secondary and we are unlikely to see that tremendous run of injuries we had there last year. A big part of the injuries was that we were forced to play players who were not ready to play at the P5 level. Hopefully a lot of these guys are 10 or 15 pounds heavier now than they were last season. It is one of those things that will help determine the success of the defense in 2021.

With no roster, it is hard to be definitive, but 85 is still surely Courtney Jackson. He has appeared in a lot of video. I suspect he is in the rotation at the slot.

The 20 on the roster that plays offense is walk on Ethan Fischler. Hard to tell for sure but I think it was him with that TD catch (i.e. 20 probably has not been assigned to someone else).

Based on the videos, it looks like Queeley is going to remain in the WR rotation. J Williams appears often. Isaiah Jones and Damien Alford have appeared a number of times. Not seeing Sharod Johnson much. He got moved to defense late last season, along with Barron.

Barron apparently is going to stick on defense. I am assuming he is going to be a linebacker. It would be really interesting if they give him a chance to play rover. Probably too big for that.

Back to the WRs. Taj is of course going to be the featured guy. I am thinking with all these young WRs apparently getting touches and playing time, almost all of which I believe primarily play outside, Taj is probably going to mostly play the slot, though the staff might move him around a lot to make it hard for defenses to shut him down..

The TE situation is fascinating. With Hackett gone, Benson is the logical guy to step in and get most of the playing time. I haven’t seen him get many catches but surely he will be a key piece of the puzzle here.

Mahar has ideal size and it looks like he is getting a chance to show what he can do. I am guessing he is going to play a lot. But Max Mang and even Landon Morris, the true frosh, are shown making some catches. I am happy to see us building up what appears to be quality depth here.

Watching the videos, it looks like the staff is working hard to give as little indication as possible regarding how things are going with the competition for starting positions on the OL

I think I caught of glimpse of Ilaoa at center and another glimpse of Servais at RT.

On defense, it is really hard to figure out who is starting. But with White as the DC, I am not sure it mattters much who starts. Tony is going to play a lot of people and guys who do not start might well end up playing more than guys who do.

Pretty sure Hanna is going to start somewhere. Probably at free safety. Sounds like he is talking control of that spot. One of the first things I will look at in the event the football roster is ever updated will be Rob’s weight. Hoping against hope he worked his butt off in the weight room and got up above 180. Believe he is currrently listed at 168. That really made it hard for him to be successsful last season.

I think Greenwood is the other guy who is fighting for the starting FS position. He is another guy who needed to get stronger. Hope he did damage in the weight room too.

I think Nunn had the upper hand for the other CB position going into spring but it looks Ike he got beat deep today. If Nunn doesn’t win the job, it probably goes to Chestnut. Guessing Atkinson backs up Willams. But based on the videos we have seen, Adrian Cole seems to be playing a lot. Just don’t know where. He seems best suited to CB. But I believe he was listed as a FS late last season, when he got healthy and started to play some,

Coley is surely going to start somewhere. Guessing rover. You want a longshot here? Maybe Malcolm Folk can jump in and steal the starting job. Tony White has shown he is not afraid to start freshmen in the secondary.

Guessing Carter will start at boundary safety. Labrosse could play most anywhere and who knows, maybe Sharod Johnson or Justin Barron could work their way into the rotation somewhere. Though I am pretty sure Justin is playing linebacker.

The good news is that there are a lot of bodies in the secondary and we are unlikely to see that tremendous run of injuries we had there last year. A big part of the injuries was that we were forced to play players who were not ready to play at the P5 level. Hopefully a lot of these guys are 10 or 15 pounds heavier now than they were last season. It is one of those things that will help determine the success of the defense in 2021.
Agree about Folk, but I think Carter and Coley are safely starting

Think Barron would be rover unless he put on a lot of weight. LBs are all going to be around 240 plus.

Good thoughts. I’m not sure Coley starts. I still don’t know why people assume Taj will play primarily in the slot. No one has proven to be capable outside Wr’s. Keep in mind Cuse treat the FS spot like a nickel corner.

Sneak preview of a new goal line play they are working on.
C1D97968-B71D-468E-9A22-EB6AFB8AE676.jpeg

Good thoughts. I’m not sure Coley starts. I still don’t know why people assume Taj will play primarily in the slot. No one has proven to be capable outside Wr’s. Keep in mind Cuse treat the FS spot like a nickel corner.

It’s been explained why. Taj helps the team the most in the slot and it fits his skill set better.

the best game of Tajs career was the NC State game which was the 2nd to last game of the season (13 catches) and he followed at ND with 8 catches.

NC State condensed is worth the watch. They move him around but he does the most damage in the slot and I think that’s where we’ll see him. It makes too much sense.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know which qbs faced the first team defense.

It’s been explained why. Taj helps the team the most in the slot and it fits his skill set better.

the best game of Tajs career was the NC State game which was the 2nd to last game of the season (13 catches) and he followed at ND with 8 catches.

NC State condensed is worth the watch. They move him around but he does the most damage in the slot and I think that’s where we’ll see him predominately.

Yeah, still not assuming that it will happen. I think it’s a possibility, but like money said, only if we have two WR who can play outside

NC State condensed is worth the watch. They move him around but he does the most damage in the slot and I think that’s where we’ll see him predominately.

I don’t need a explanation of his skill set. I know what he can do. I liked him a lot his freshman year at the slot. He did a good job finding open space in the zone. I like him outside as well. He has less defenders to make miss out there. He’s slippery on the sidelines. He can do both.

So again, I’m asking if the staff said something that indicated Taj will primarily play the slot? I’m also asking if other Wr’s have proven to be better outside?

Yeah, still not assuming that it will happen. I think it’s a possibility, but like money said, only if we have two WR who can play outside

And if we have no one that can play inside?

Without Nykiem we have two candidates. Courtney Jackson and Tebor Pena. I believe Courtney will step up in time but Taj seems to give us more, right now, at that spot.

We do have 1 productive and dependable outside guy in Queeley.

Alford/Williams and 3 incoming freshman on the horizon it makes a lot of sense to move Taj inside

I don’t need a explanation of his skill set. I know what he can do. I liked him a lot his freshman year at the slot. He did a good job finding open space in the zone. I like him outside as well. He has less defenders to make miss out there. He’s slippery on the sidelines. He can do both.

So again, I’m asking if the staff said something that indicated Taj will primarily play the slot? I’m also asking if other Wr’s have proven to be better outside?

well they never say anything but their actions did when they put him there and he made plays. Is It not obvious he’ll give the team more there running crossing patterns than he will running sidelines streaks and getting muscled out of bounds?

this is going to be fun watching it all shake out.

well they never say anything but their actions did when they put him there and he made plays. Is It not obvious he’ll give the team more there running crossing patterns than he will running sidelines streaks and getting muscled out of bounds?

this is going to be fun watching it all shake out.
His struggles with down field drops is evident. He might have improved that but we dont know. I wouldnt assume every underclassman and incoming freshman can do it. Outside Wr is not just about catching sideline streaks. That's just one route out of many. Taj can play both spots. They moved him around in the NC State game. I think that's the best way to do it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom