St. John's game: 12/15 Noon ET Fox Sports 1 | Syracusefan.com

St. John's game: 12/15 Noon ET Fox Sports 1

Send Kaiser an email...he knows :bat:

BTW, that time sucks...couldn't we get a few hours later?

This is the first season in a while where I think this is going to be a tremendous game. St. Johns finalky seems to be healthy and filled in weaknesses from last year's team. Lots more help at PF/center with Obekpa and Sampson returning and bringing back God's Gift, adding 6'9" Orlando Sanchez and Max Hooper. Backcourt is finally healthy. Jamal Branch at full form after injury last season, return of D'Angelo Harrison and addition if Rysheed Jordan. Everybody else returns. Two amazingly athletic teams who both have the bodies to make it a game. Can't wait for this one this year. It's kinda crazy that it will be an ACC vs Big East matchup though...

Send Kaiser an email...he knows :bat:

BTW, that time sucks...couldn't we get a few hours later?

The puck drops for the Blue Shirts at 7:00pm. That's why the noon tip.

This is the first season in a while where I think this is going to be a tremendous game. St. Johns finalky seems to be healthy and filled in weaknesses from last year's team. Lots more help at PF/center with Obekpa and Sampson returning and bringing back God's Gift, adding 6'9" Orlando Sanchez and Max Hooper. Backcourt is finally healthy. Jamal Branch at full form after injury last season, return of D'Angelo Harrison and addition if Rysheed Jordan. Everybody else returns. Two amazingly athletic teams who both have the bodies to make it a game. Can't wait for this one this year. It's kinda crazy that it will be an ACC vs Big East matchup though...

Put me down as someone who really wants St. John's to be good. I just think college basketball is better overall with a successful Johnnie team playing in front of a full and lively MSG.

Put me down as someone who really wants St. John's to be good. I just think college basketball is better overall with a successful Johnnie team playing in front of a full and lively MSG.

This year I think it will be more interesting. Last year we didn't even have Lavin for the game. We played with an injured Phil Greene at PG, and a branch out injured. We were thin up front too. This year, none of that will be the case and I think SJU will be one of the few teams out there that matches up pretty well athletically and depth-wise with Cuse. now we just can't let the 2-3 zone stifle us, which is a pretty common occurrence.

I think SJU will be one of the few teams out there that matches up pretty well athletically and depth-wise with Cuse.

funny-gif-Steve-Carell-laughing.gif

Not joking. SJU will be every bit as athletic as Cuse. To tell the truth, both team's will be some of the topsin the country in that department. SU slightly taller up front.

Not joking. SJU will be every bit as athletic as Cuse. To tell the truth, both team's will be some of the topsin the country in that department. SU slightly taller up front.
Every bit as athletic... OK, right.

what channel for direc tv?
Fox Sports 1 is 219 on DirecTV. I tried watching Fox Sports Live because of how boring and coroprate SC can be and I immediately disliked the wannabe duo of Dan Patrick and Keith Olbemran FS1 had. I like funny guys, but these guys were clowns and were completely more interested in making jokes then freaking just doing the highlights. I am in my 20s and am the audience the FS1 wants and I couldn't take those guys guys seriously. Good luck Fox Sports competing with Sportscenter.

Why do you doubt that? You obviously don't know much about SJU's roster.
Because our roster has Tyler Ennis 6-2, Mike Gbinije 6-7, B.J Johnson 6-7, Jerami Grant 6-8, C.J. Fair 6-8, Baye Keita 6-10, Rak Christmas 6-9, Dajaun Coleman 6-10, Ron Patterson 6-2, Chinonso Obokoh 6-10 and from sprinkles on top added Tyler Roberson. St. John's may have more depth than before but you don't have as many athletes as we have.

That's simply not true. The athleticism top to bottom on SJU's roster is every bit as good. First off, not all the guys you mentioned are world class athletes. Ennis is an excellent player, but a decent athlete. DaJuan Coleman isn't a gazelle either. I thought we were talking athleticism here. SJU has 6'8" Jakarr Sampson, 6'5" Rysheed Jordan, 6'6" Sir Diminic Pointer, 6'8" Christian Jones, 6'4" Felix Balamou, 6'9" Orlando Sanchez, 6'9" Chris Obekpa who are all fantastic athletes. That's not including Jamal Branch, Phil Greene, D'Angelo Harrison, God's Gift and others that are all excellent if athletes themselves, if not as good as the former group. SJU returns the top shotblocking team as well as the #1 shotblocking center in the country.

That's simply not true. The athleticism top to bottom on SJU's roster is every bit as good. First off, not all the guys you mentioned are world class athletes. Ennis is an excellent player, but a decent athlete. DaJuan Coleman isn't a gazelle either. I thought we were talking athleticism here. SJU has 6'8" Jakarr Sampson, 6'5" Rysheed Jordan, 6'6" Sir Diminic Pointer, 6'8" Christian Jones, 6'4" Felix Balamou, 6'9" Orlando Sanchez, 6'9" Chris Obekpa who are all fantastic athletes. That's not including Jamal Branch, Phil Greene, D'Angelo Harrison, God's Gift and others that are all excellent if athletes themselves, if not as good as the former group. SJU returns the top shotblocking team as well as the #1 shotblocking center in the country.
Cuse by 15

RutgersAl SJUBall is always very level headed when it comes to his team's roster. If he's this optimistic, they must be pretty good.

RutgersAl SJUBall is always very level headed when it comes to his team's roster. If he's this optimistic, they must be pretty good.

Syracuse loses almost 42 ppg of production from last season and only returns 1 double digit scorer. That is a massive amount. Who is going to replace that? Cuse has some talented young guys for sure, but for everybody to be soooo sure that they are the most dominating and athletic team around, there are plenty of question marks and several starters have to be replaced. To be clearthough, we were talking about "athleticism". I've seen all of SJU's and Cuse's players. SJU has as many or more pure athletes, but dunkers don't win games. SJU needs to show they are a better team. Cuse has repeatedly thrashed us. SJU needs to start stepping up to the plate in this matchup.

St. John's will likely be a top 25 team this year. Sampson is a sure 1st round draft pick. Obekpa is one of the best shot blockers in the country. Harrison is a very good 3 pt shooter (though he is turnover prone), Rysheed Jordan is a kid we wanted, and they have a supporting cast of very athletic players who have gained experience the past 2 years like Pointer, God's Gift, Branch, etc. It will be a tough game in MSG for us this season, it is not a walk like previous years. We will need to play really well.

Syracuse loses almost 42 ppg of production from last season and only returns 1 double digit scorer. That is a massive amount. Who is going to replace that? Cuse has some talented young guys for sure, but for everybody to be soooo sure that they are the most dominating and athletic team around, there are plenty of question marks and several starters have to be replaced. To be clearthough, we were talking about "athleticism". I've seen all of SJU's and Cuse's players. SJU has as many or more pure athletes, but dunkers don't win games. SJU needs to show they are a better team. Cuse has repeatedly thrashed us. SJU needs to start stepping up to the plate in this matchup.
Ennis should replace the MCW 12 ppg, Grant should see an increase in his production by about 3-4 ppg, Cooney/Gbinjie should get 12 ppg between them, Fair can probably go from 14ppg to about 16-18. Coleman/Chrismtas should go from 10ppg to 15-20 ppg between them. We will score the basketball and our freshman Johnson, Roberson, Patterson should throw in a little.

Ennis should replace the MCW 12 ppg, Grant should see an increase in his production by about 3-4 ppg, Cooney/Gbinjie should get 12 ppg between them, Fair can probably go from 14ppg to about 16-18. Coleman/Chrismtas should go from 10ppg to 15-20 ppg between them. We will score the basketball and our freshman Johnson, Roberson, Patterson should throw in a little.

There is a massive amount of inflation in those numbers to be realistic methinks. Ennis goes automatically to double figures, Grant near double figures, 6ppg for both Cooney and Gbinje, nearly 20/game for Fair, Coleman and Christmas to almost 10ppg a piece??? I just don't see it. I like a lot of Cuse's pieces, but that speculation is very generous I think. Ennis will have a very hard time replacing MCW's 12ppg, especially as a freshman, and I know the kid is good but that is a lot to ask.

Sampson can play. I think he was BEROY last year and put up 21 points on SU at the Dome. Obekpa's a good shot-blocker but he only had one against SU ... 'Cuse rolled by about 20. 25 the year before.

This year, SJU is bringing back lots of scoring pop and SU's trying to replace 40+ points per game we lost to graduation/NBA. 25 of those points were in the backcourt, where we now have a frosh PG and some questions at SG. Ennis is a talented player ... I have him at 10 ppg ... not out of whack because he'll be playing over 30 mpg. 10 ppg is a lot for a 1st year player, but it's about the same as MCW's first year adjusted for playing time. The 2 is where we're going to be scambling a little more. It looks like Trevor Cooney to start with a talented freshman behind him to push for minutes.

On the front line, we're loaded with depth and experience. Grant is ready to explode and will play more -- I have him going from 4 ppg to 10, and I don't think that's a pipedream. CJ Fair will be a headache to control. We'll see how our bigs play in the middle -- I have them going from about 10 ppg (collectively) to about 15 ppg (that's only a couple more points each per game).

Overall, I'd say SJU will be very good this year, inside and out. Harrison is deadly from outside, and with Sampson and Obekpa SJU has good balance. Overall, I'd say that SU has too much talent, depth and length for SJU = probably an 8-10 point win for the 'Cuse, but wild things can happen at the Garden. That's why they play.

It should be noted that SJU and SU go way back to the days of the 'sweater' and I wish the program well. It's one of the teams I'll miss playing (along with Nova).

Last edited:

Well we replaced 42.7ppg last year(Kris Joseph 13.4, Waiters 12.6, Fab 7.8, Scoop 8.9) and that ended up with a Final Four.

There is a massive amount of inflation in those numbers to be realistic methinks. Ennis goes automatically to double figures, Grant near double figures, 6ppg for both Cooney and Gbinje, nearly 20/game for Fair, almost 10ppg a piece??? I just don't see it. I like a lot of Cuse's pieces, but that speculation is very generous I think. Ennis will have a very hard time replacing MCW's 12ppg, especially as a freshman, and I know the kid is good but that is a lot to ask.
Let me break this down for you as I did already but you didn't compute it.
Fair averaged 14 ppg last year I could easily see him going up to 16-18ppg this year.
Ennis will get the 12ppg that MCW got last year.
Grant only averaged 4ppg last year I will only bump up to 10ppg on the cautious side.
Coleman/Christmas together averaged 10ppg last year I think they will combine for 15-20ppg next year.
Cooney averaged 3ppg last year in 11mpg I think he and Gbinje can each average 6ppg.
Keita, averaged 4 ppg last year keep him the same.
Roberson, Johnson, Patterson should chip in points there you go. It adds up Ennis 12, Fair 2-4, Grant-6, Christmas/Coleman 5-10, Cooney/Gbinjie 9 and Keita and the Freshman should chip in a little.

You think grant will only average 7 points this year? I got 50 bucks he goes for atleast 12 a game.

I'm throwing this out there right now. Jerami Grant will be ATLEAST 2nd team all acc this year. He may even be better than fair this year. And I think fair is (phenomenal.