Status of Indoor Football Facility | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Status of Indoor Football Facility

No idea, just passing on what I've heard, but do know there was a donation of about $500K from one individual at least back in summer of 2011.

I thought I asked you to keep that quiet? ;)

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Any additional costs to support three feet of snow on the roof?
I'm sure there is.

However, since the Hartford Civic Center incident (1978) I would expect there to be several standard solutions to this challenge.

I thought I asked you to keep that quiet? ;)

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

I was referring to Tristan's. That is chump change to your contribution. Can't wait for the tour of the Kim Jong Bees Indoor Practice Facility

Bees looking at some plans for the facility
tumblr_lxnclq5O7s1qewv1lo1_500.jpg

if they were really thinking they would put the parking under neath the facility. didnt USC do something like that under theirs? you can recoop the cost and parking under an empty bldg makes it mess less a structural issue. the lot is wasted space.

if they were really thinking they would put the parking under neath the facility. didnt USC do something like that under theirs? you can recoop the cost and parking under an empty bldg makes it mess less a structural issue. the lot is wasted space.

They must think it's not cost-effective. Does seem the most efficient use of space, but it's expensive to build below grade. Those lots see event use maybe 30 times a year, for the other 330-odd days, they're making peanuts on those spaces.

If they were to do that, they'd probably need to move the building - Meadowbrook runs under the footprint.

Agreed. The same thing was done at Amsterdam ArenA. I actually made use of this facility in the days of the Amsterdam Admirals (NFL Europe).

<distraction>
Given the hunger for real football on TV and the teams' need to weed-out the free agents, I'm still surprised that the NFL killed NFL Europe.

Given an annual game in London and Toronto, how hard would it be to have an opening week match in the Tokyo Dome?
</distraction>

Ahem, getting back to the previous point... yes, it would make sense to place a parking garage under the IPF.

They must think it's not cost-effective. Does seem the most efficient use of space, but it's expensive to build below grade. Those lots see event use maybe 30 times a year, for the other 330-odd days, they're making peanuts on those spaces.

If they were to do that, they'd probably need to move the building - Meadowbrook runs under the footprint.
I think the manley south lot is used most of the year . the numbers I have seen that its cost effective because you get back over time the money not spent in repaving fees, plowin/maintenance etc..

Long term you get twice the footprint

A rep from the Orange Club tells me that the plans will be announced soon

I was told to spread the word because much help will be needed.
This is terrific news.

Syracuse BOT, you complete me.

Also, many props to Dr Gross, the donors, and even DM for helping to make this happen.

This is terrific news.

Also, many props to Dr Gross, the donors, and even DM for helping to make this happen.
Yes, McNabb deserves some credit. ;-)

This is terrific news.

You had me at "Hello"

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I think the manley south lot is used most of the year . the numbers I have seen that its cost effective because you get back over time the money not spent in repaving fees, plowin/maintenance etc..

Underground parking is expensive and would likely add 1/3 to the cost of the building, plus additional time because they can't start setting the building up there until the ground thaws a bit.

It would take a long time to recoup the cost without charging for parking, plus garages have their own risks. If designed appropriately, they could start charging fees for parking there for games with a shuttle, but I still can't see that working all too well.

To IBs point, if we've waited this long to build an IPF that is just basic, costing $15MM (using Union workers would drive the cost north of those in Fla, AZ), I'd actually be slightly peeved. They need to make a splash with this building.

Underground parking is expensive and would likely add 1/3 to the cost of the building, plus additional time because they can't start setting the building up there until the ground thaws a bit.

It would take a long time to recoup the cost without charging for parking, plus garages have their own risks. If designed appropriately, they could start charging fees for parking there for games with a shuttle, but I still can't see that working all too well.

To IBs point, if we've waited this long to build an IPF that is just basic, costing $15MM (using Union workers would drive the cost north of those in Fla, AZ), I'd actually be slightly peeved. They need to make a splash with this building.

Bottomline: If it slows it down 6-9 months to build parking...do it. I want the thing done right. With Stadium West parking getting eaten up...this might be a strategic move to add more parking to support Dome events. The school has two indoor practice facilities already...it can survive.

<distraction>
Agreed. The same thing was done at Amsterdam ArenA. I actually made use of this facility in the days of the Amsterdam Admirals (NFL Europe).

Given the hunger for real football on TV and the teams' need to weed-out the free agents, I'm still surprised that the NFL killed NFL Europe.

Given an annual game in London and Toronto, how hard would it be to have an opening week match in the Tokyo Dome?
</distraction>

Ahem, getting back to the previous point... yes, it would make sense to place a parking garage under th eIPF.

NFL Europe was apparently costing the NFL close to $30 million a year in subsidies at the end, almost a million bucks per team. You can run a lot of free agent camps at home for that money. Expanding the practice rosters, and now expanding training camp rosters, serves a similar purpose for a lot less money.

An underground parking garage is a terrible idea and complete waste of money... Why spend 10 million on structural concrete?, this is Syracuse there is still plenty of real estate... acreage in the back there as well.. Maximize the dollars

In addition the parking garage will double your time if not more

it really comes down to how much does SU value the land. if there are no needs to use that parking space then its much cheaper to just leave as is. if that land has value then the short term 10-20 million to an underground area . it will add to the cost but if they have no plans for more buildings in that area its probably not worth it.

it really comes down to how much does SU value the land. if there are no needs to use that parking space then its much cheaper to just leave as is. if that land has value then the short term 10-20 million to an underground area . it will add to the cost but if they have no plans for more buildings in that area its probably not worth it.

Not worth the delay or the cost. It is cheaper to buy more property in Syracuse than to build more densely. That's not changing any time soon. If the worry is what will happen to the track, well there's plenty of university owned land on Skytop.

I'm more concerned with impressing recruits. Big-time recruits will put more butts in seats than will parking convenience.

Build a Taj Mahal for the players. George and Martha will get to the dome if we're winning.

An underground parking garage is a terrible idea and complete waste of money... Why spend 10 million on structural concrete?, this is Syracuse there is still plenty of real estate... acreage in the back there as well.. Maximize the dollars

In addition the parking garage will double your time if not more

I don't doubt you as you are an expert in the field...my post was more about the decision needs to be the right one, not the quick one. When it gets built it better not be done on the cheap. We aren't comparing ourselves to BE teams anymore.

The land behind Manley is a hill...so it isn't cost effective to put parking there. I remember they removed a lot of dirt/rock on the hill behind the Melo Center during construction. An underground parking facility might be cheaper and more green...just saying...land is cheap in Cuse but is their enough cheap land close to Manley?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=13244...05078&hnear=Syracuse,+New+York+13244&t=h&z=16

I don't doubt you as you are an expert in the field...my post was more about the decision needs to be the right one, not the quick one. When it gets built it better not be done on the cheap. We aren't comparing ourselves to BE teams anymore.

The land behind Manley is a hill...so it isn't cost effective to put parking there. I remember they removed a lot of dirt/rock on the hill behind the Melo Center during construction. An underground parking facility might be cheaper and more green...just saying...land is cheap in Cuse but is their enough cheap land close to Manley?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=13244&hl=en&ll=43.023898,-76.119547&spn=0.007671,0.020192&sll=37.6,-95.665&sspn=33.830346,82.705078&hnear=Syracuse, New York 13244&t=h&z=16
If you look at the artist rendering of the one plan, I think it shows the facility next to Coyne (opposite the hill side).

Are those dorms south of Manley? I didn't go to the school so I have no clue, but it looks like the layout is an awful design. It seems you could fit much more dorms if they built them side by side.

Are those dorms south of Manley? I didn't go to the school so I have no clue, but it looks like the layout is an awful design. It seems you could fit much more dorms if they built them side by side.
what dorms?

Depends on financing and all, but in past work I've been a part of, subgrade parking runs at least $40,000 per space. Often quite a bit more than that. Both Manley lots are used year-round, but employees pay very little for a space (low hundreds for the year).

I can't imagine how SU would recoup an investment in structured parking on the property, especially when it's a three-minute shuttle ride from several thousand free spaces at Skytop (which aren't even paved - they just require an occasional plowing).

In the long-term, I'd favor structured parking (in the new football building and all West Campus buildings). They might regret these decisions 20 years down the line, when space is at more of a premium. If they ever got with the 21st century and developed a transportation management plan and stopped heavily subsidizing employee parking, they could probably justify the expense. For now, I can understand why they don't want to pay for it.