SU/Gtown series renewed ... now 4 years | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SU/Gtown series renewed ... now 4 years

I have a stronger hate for UConn than I do Georgetown (probably because I never saw those games in the 70s-early 90s). The G'Town game keeps us in the DC area for recruiting which is great. I'd rather play UConn for selfish reasons but in a perfect world I'd rather drop both completely and get a stronger team on our schedule that will help our resume (whether it's Nova or a Big 10/12, SEC, etc. opponent).

I have a stronger hate for UConn than I do Georgetown (probably because I never saw those games in the 70s-early 90s). The G'Town game keeps us in the DC area for recruiting which is great. I'd rather play UConn for selfish reasons but in a perfect world I'd rather drop both completely and get a stronger team on our schedule that will help our resume (whether it's Nova or a Big 10/12, SEC, etc. opponent).
I think we would have kept playing UConn but the hit on our strength of schedule playing a program like that makes it really hard. We only have a couple of chances to play good OOC games and their collapse as a program made them the clear choice to drop when compared to Georgetown.

I hope they can back to winning ways some day.

I hope they can get back to winning ways some day.
That's where we differ...
1556146350868.gif

If playing in DC were such a huge recruiting tool, wouldn"t Georgetown be better than they have been?

I think the whole idea of playing somewhere because it helps you recruit there is a myth.

That’s a fine take but Townie does it way better.

My take continues to be that it's a shameless money grab designed to take advantage of those who somehow are stuck in the 1980's. It ought to be titled "The Nostalgia Classic. As an alum, I'm mildly embarrassed by it.

Seriously, how much Orange hatred could be engendered by the ineffectual Craig Esherick or the mild-as-milquetoast John Thompson III???

Of course, we do now have arch villian Ewing on the sidelines. Except he doesn't really look anything like the old Patrick Ewing. He looks like Patrick Ewing after being trapped in a bakery for years, maybe.

If we want to play someone in the DMV area that actually has some fans, let's play Maryland.

Last edited:
My take continues to be that it's a shameless money grab designed to take advantage of those who somehow are stuck in the 1980's. It ought to be titled "The Nostalgia Classic. As an alum, I'm mildly embarrassed by it.

Seriously, how much Orange hatred could be engendered by the ineffectual Craig Esherick or the mild-as-milquetoast John Thompson III???

Of course, we do now have arch villian Ewing on the sidelines. Except he doesn't really look anything like the old Patrick Ewing. He looks like Patrick Ewing after being trapped in a bakery for years, maybe.

If we want to play someone in the DMV area that actually has some fans, let's play Maryland.

Kind of like this tbh.

Considering it’s DC more like Georgetown Cupcake. Don’t see Ewing at the Swiss Bakery.

I think the whole idea of playing somewhere because it helps you recruit there is a myth.

You are 100% correct about this. That idea is way more 1970 than 2019.

lived in DC area for 40+ years. Nobody hates Gtown more than me, beginning with the infamous "Rochester Classic" game from the early 70's. It's cool that we get more people in downtown DC than they do. Love re-watching Requiem for the Big East. But there is no upside to this!! What's done is done but we will regret this well before the fourth installment. Maryland, even George Mason better IMO if we want a game in the DMV.

lived in DC area for 40+ years. Nobody hates Gtown more than me, beginning with the infamous "Rochester Classic" game from the early 70's. It's cool that we get more people in downtown DC than they do. Love re-watching Requiem for the Big East. But there is no upside to this!! What's done is done but we will regret this well before the fourth installment. Maryland, even George Mason better IMO if we want a game in the DMV.

Why would we regret it? Also they will be a top 25 team next year.

With a young team next year, I’m already concerned SU might be over scheduling. They have two tough games in the NIT Classic, @ Georgetown, ACC/Big 10 challenge and the two extra ACC games. If they lose more than 2 preseason games they could be in trouble with 20 ACC games. We don’t even know the last two preseason games. We can’t afford 4 preseason losses.

With a young team next year, I’m already concerned SU might be over scheduling. They have two tough games in the NIT Classic, @ Georgetown, ACC/Big 10 challenge and the two extra ACC games. If they lose more than 2 preseason games they could be in trouble with 20 ACC games. We don’t even know the last two preseason games. We can’t afford 4 preseason losses.
When you play good teams the committee excuses losses.

We need as many good games on the schedule so if we lose some games we shouldn’t we have built in excuse of a hard schedule.

The games at Barclays aren’t big name teams.
Georgetown is tough because it’s on the road.
Big Ten home game will be tough.
Then we will 7 home tomato cans we should win.

When you play good teams the committee excuses losses.

We need as many good games on the schedule so if we lose some games we shouldn’t we have built in excuse of a hard schedule.

The games at Barclays aren’t big name teams.
Georgetown is tough because it’s on the road.
Big Ten home game will be tough.
Then we will 7 home tomato cans we should win.
Unfortunately, we lost two of those tomato games last year. We don’t even know who our last two games are yet. If we lose four early games and are lucky enough to go 10-10 in the ACC that’s 14 losses before the ACC tournament. Good luck making the tournament with 15 losses.

For some reason, the concept of this game puts me in mind of the Civil War Reenactors that play war at Gettysburg every year on July 3rd. The flags are the same. The uniforms are the same. But it ain't the same as it was. It just isn't.

It's a grab for cash on both sides. It'll be the biggest crowd any Georgetown home games draws and it's because half the tickets will be sold to SU fans.

I KNOW why Georgetown wants it. Selling tickets to a game against Creighton in DC isn't easy. But I really don't understand why SU does, except to sell a few more tickets to a pre-ACC Season OOC game. Playing in front of DC area alumni could be accomplished a number of ways.

We'll get a bigger than usual crowd to at the Dome, many of them wanting to soak up the "rivalry" although they just never experienced it themselves. But they have been told it's important by those who were around in the 1980's.

The only other reason I can see is that Boeheim wants to play the game to keep alive as long as he can rekindle the feelings associated with the Old Big East.

I can picture him now in his den, re-watching "Requiem for The Big East" after a few scotches, with tears welling up in his eyes saying "Damn it! I don't care how much or how little sense it makes, we just have to keep playing them."

Since you have been around since the 70's, you experienced the "white heat" of that rivalry in the early days. To suggest what we have today --- the tattered shreds of a one time rivalry --- is in anyway close to what existed before is a cheapening of it.

I hated them then. Now GU is just a Catholic school in DC we used to be in the same league with.

Unfortunately, we lost two of those tomato games last year. We don’t even know who our last two games are yet. If we lose four early games and are lucky enough to go 10-10 in the ACC that’s 14 losses before the ACC tournament. Good luck making the tournament with 15 losses.
Our bad losses were excused because we beat Georgetown and Ohio State last year.
Good wins > bad losses in basketball.

For some reason, the concept of this game puts me in mind of the Civil War Reenactors that play war at Gettysburg every year on July 3rd. The flags are the same. The uniforms are the same. But it ain't the same as it was. It just isn't.

It's a grab for cash on both sides. It'll be the biggest crowd any Georgetown home games draws and it's because half the tickets will be sold to SU fans.

I KNOW why Georgetown wants it. Selling tickets to a game against Creighton in DC isn't easy. But I really don't understand why SU does, except to sell a few more tickets to a pre-ACC Season OOC game. Playing in front of DC area alumni could be accomplished a number of ways.

We'll get a bigger than usual crowd to at the Dome, many of them wanting to soak up the "rivalry" although they just never experienced it themselves. But they have been told it's important by those who were around in the 1980's.

The only other reason I can see is that Boeheim wants to play the game to keep alive as long as he can rekindle the feelings associated with the Old Big East.

I can picture him now in his den, re-watching "Requiem for The Big East" after a few scotches, with tears welling up in his eyes saying "Damn it! I don't care how much or how little sense it makes, we just have to keep playing them."

Since you have been around since the 70's, you experienced the "white heat" of that rivalry in the early days. To suggest what we have today --- the tattered shreds of a one time rivalry --- is in anyway close to what existed before is a cheapening of it.

I hated them then. Now GU is just a Catholic school in DC we used to be in the same league with.

To your points:

-JB doesnt drink
-No better way to play in front of DC area alumni than to have our choice of seats in an NBA arena. Someone mentioned George Mason - no thank you - A10 and no bars or beers sales.
-Otherwise yeah, walking out of Verizon after the win last season was far different than walking outta there when beating them during the Big East day, and walking outta the old Cap Centre for that metter.

The game in DC will surely be a nooner once they schedule a Wizards or Caps game for 7:30

To your points:

-JB doesnt drink
-No better way to play in front of DC area alumni than to have our choice of seats in an NBA arena. Someone mentioned George Mason - no thank you - A10 and no bars or beers sales.
-Otherwise yeah, walking out of Verizon after the win last season was far different than walking outta there when beating them during the Big East day, and walking outta the old Cap Centre for that metter.

He was drunk on nostalgia then.

I actually believe that much of the reason this game is played is JB's preference and his emotional ties to the old Big East.

I'm certainly no tea-totaler. But I have never understood the required connection between alcohol consumption and watching a game. Post game? Absolutely.

But if it's any kind of game at all, I don't want my senses dulled.

There was a time --- in the Old US Air Arena --- when Georgetown actually had a fan base and it was fun to play them. Now the GU crowd consists of some their very high SAT score students that were bused in and some tweedy alumni, with nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon. The students all look to me like they would be happier at an Ultimate Frisbee contest. The crowd look like what I think the Brown U. or Columbia U. crowd looks like.

These are not the kids that make up the crowd at say, the Big Five games in Philly.

Maryland, on the other hand, has a real college basketball crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom