SU has a chance to stake a claim as the best team in the conference | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SU has a chance to stake a claim as the best team in the conference

I shuddered to post it. I'm more sympathetic to him all these years later.
I have very complicated feelings around the end of his tenure. I absolutely get why many feel he should have stayed, but I also cannot deny he seemed to be unwilling to adapt and was starting to fall behind. I don’t know what the answer was but I absolutely think we can all agree that regardless of whether he was kept or not, Robinson was a disaster

Can we not? Every time Coach P comes up we need to have the same back and forth from one side that thinks he was gods gift to coaching and the other side who thinks he was the worst coach ever.

In Coach P's last 6 seasons, he went 39-33.

Two bowl games, one 10 win season, and one clunker.

And it still wasn't good enough for the fanbase.

In the ensuing 17 years, we haven't had a coach come close to matching that.

I doubt we'll get any closer in the next 17 years either.

And off we go.

Yes you are correct. Counterpoint is he also regularly underperformed with the talent he had, and the team was absolutely trending downward.

And no one had a crystal ball to see that Gross would hire an absolute moron who would pour gasoline on the downward fire and just blow it up.

So yes. In hindsight it was all a disaster. But at the time, those who said it was time for a change were basing it on the trends of the past and not on the future that, again, no one knew.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to accept both perspectives as fact.

Yet I am sure many many many will disagree because when it comes to this topic a balanced perspective is rare.

And off we go.

Yes you are correct. Counterpoint is he also regularly underperformed with the talent he had, and the team was absolutely trending downward.

And no one had a crystal ball to see that Gross would hire an absolute moron who would pour gasoline on the downward fire and just blow it up.

So yes. In hindsight it was all a disaster. But at the time, those who said it was time for a change were basing it on the trends of the past and not on the future that, again, no one knew.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to accept both perspectives as fact.

My point is I think we'd all like to be 39-33 or better right now, instead of 29-41 (and counting).

Ironically, this is my 51st season of watching SU football. My dad and my uncle started taking me during the Coach Ben days.

In the previous 50 years, I've seen only 25 winning seasons.

Since 1971, my record is 295-297-6.

Here's hoping I can get back to .500 ;)

Can we not? Every time Coach P comes up we need to have the same back and forth from one side that thinks he was gods gift to coaching and the other side who thinks he was the worst coach ever.
P was a good coach for his time, but at the end, the University didn't spend money on the football program, and the facilities were bad. Jake not taking the lifeline offered by the ACC, and letting BC sneak there way in caused the program to decay.

My point is I think we'd all like to be 39-33 or better right now, instead of 29-41 (and counting).

Ironically, this is my 51st season of watching SU football. My dad and my uncle started taking me during the Coach Ben days.

In the previous 50 years, I've seen only 25 winning seasons.

Since 1971, my record is 295-297-6.

Here's hoping I can get back to .500 ;)
That's a great post.

We were bowl eligible in 2 of those seasons too with no bowl game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom