SU Students planning a "White Out" for Liberty | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

SU Students planning a "White Out" for Liberty

Student attendance has been great this year. Who cares what they decide to do as long as they do it and show up. We haven’t been relevant forever, these college kids have no personal attachment to any of the history. It’s also not their fault. So who cares, I’m glad they’re doing something and showing up after having to watch the Rutgers game.
I generally agree with your statement...but the white out isn't our fanbase. We do Orange.

the only reason people even know PSU has one is they pretty much do it anytime they get a big night game on TV.

Well, yeah.

You guys know Penn State copied the white out thing, right?

I mean, SU’s only fan tradition — hoops standing and clapping — was copied.

Penn State may not be the pioneer, but it's who everyone in college football thinks about. Because when you have 100,000 people doing it on ABC primetime, it's hard to do it wrong.

Trying to do it 6 days after it being the most talked about event in the college football world, with a half full stadium, just seems like something that will be mocked more than appreciated. That Twitter account has over 12,000 followers, and only 22 re-tweets of the idea.

At one point, Otto's Army was collaborating with the SUAD on ways to improve fan engagement. Do they still do that? There are enough smart minds up there to come up with something new. Something where we can leverage our new roof, lighting, scoreboard. That might be a way to break into something AND have the normally uninterested fans start participating.

Teams are having success with catchy songs (Jump Around, I Won't Back Down, Washington Nats do it with Take on Me). Just spitballing, end of 1st quarter, take a song like Dancing in the Dark, turn down the lights in the place. Get the place going, singing. Someone make it happen.

I had a boss who once told me don't do something for the sake of doing it (that was my move, always made me look busy). He would say to think about it and do it the right way. I'm ALL for increased fan engagement, getting the most grumpy among the group to be excited and participate. I wish we were an easier crowd for such things.

I've run around the 300s...gotta explore the 100s this Friday for interesting items.
Wandered around both during Rutgers game and found 300s had better beer selection. The little beer stands were also quicker vs lines downstairs.

they still need to work on an actual queue line in the corners. And actually have all the lines open.

Penn State may not be the pioneer, but it's who everyone in college football thinks about. Because when you have 100,000 people doing it on ABC primetime, it's hard to do it wrong.

Trying to do it 6 days after it being the most talked about event in the college football world, with a half full stadium, just seems like something that will be mocked more than appreciated. That Twitter account has over 12,000 followers, and only 22 re-tweets of the idea.

At one point, Otto's Army was collaborating with the SUAD on ways to improve fan engagement. Do they still do that? There are enough smart minds up there to come up with something new. Something where we can leverage our new roof, lighting, scoreboard. That might be a way to break into something AND have the normally uninterested fans start participating.

Teams are having success with catchy songs (Jump Around, I Won't Back Down, Washington Nats do it with Take on Me). Just spitballing, end of 1st quarter, take a song like Dancing in the Dark, turn down the lights in the place. Get the place going, singing. Someone make it happen.

I had a boss who once told me don't do something for the sake of doing it (that was my move, always made me look busy). He would say to think about it and do it the right way. I'm ALL for increased fan engagement, getting the most grumpy among the group to be excited and participate. I wish we were an easier crowd for such things.
I get it. We’ve covered this ground before, our crowd stinks for doing anything cool. I’m just happy they students are trying. Waiting to engage non-students with something “right” is a waste of time, they won’t do anything.

I get it. We’ve covered this ground before, our crowd stinks for doing anything cool. I’m just happy they students are trying. Waiting to engage non-students with something “right” is a waste of time, they won’t do anything.

I am curious though if Otto's Army still meets with SUAD. Just having student engagement would be enough for now.

Rutgers game had as many students as I've ever seen at a game. And it made such a difference. They were low like normal, and filled 2 upper end zone corners. They can create the atmosphere themselves with those numbers.

I love just about ANYTHING that can get the fanbase and students excited. Therefore, I'll stop at that (but not before I say a "white" out is about the stupidest idea anyone could have come up with when our name is THE ORANGE).
and when a school just did it with over 100,000 and it looked awesome. We are going to look rinky dink. Glad the students are excited, and I'll wear white, but the effort is exhibit A as to how our fan base doesn't really follow the college football world.

Dancing in the Dark...boss? Hmmm...

Seriously, happy the kids are doing something. They were into it with Rutgers and this should be a good one Friday. Like Scooch says, anything of interest will come from them.

I don't get why they aren't on the TV side of the field, but that's a different gripe.

Last edited:
None of this matters with a half empty stadium and those godforsaken aluminum bench seating. Could we please get theme painted orange or blue.

Fake it (full stadium) until you make it.

Surprised that there isn’t anyone protesting that it will be a “white” out game. Should always go Orange or Navy until you start winning on a regular basis.

None of this matters with a half empty stadium and those godforsaken aluminum bench seating. Could we please get theme painted orange or blue.

Since we’re talking about faking, awhile back I suggested using the leftover JCPenney and Lord&Taylor mannequins and dressing them up orange in those aluminum bleachers. That would turn some heads.

Dancing in the Dark...boss? Hmmm...

Seriously, happy the kids are doing something. They were into it with Rutgers and this should be a good one Friday. Like @sccoch says, anything of interest will come from them.

I don't get why they aren't on the TV side of the field, but that's a different gripe.

I did that for you. But we can do Darkness on the Edge of Town if you prefer.

I don't care. But find something that involves all the new technology we've installed if you want people to maybe start participating.

It took the Yankees 3 different tries to land on Enter Sandman. If they hadn't, then Virginia Tech might just run out on the field to their boring fight song.

Since we’re talking about faking, awhile back I suggested using the leftover JCPenney and Lord&Taylor mannequins and dressing them up orange in those aluminum bleachers. That would turn some heads.
If everyone would bring a mannequin we would nearly sell out. They make good dates after the game too. You’ll never hear them complain that your still drinking.

I believe the Superdome used to have different colored seats so it would look full from a distance and on television.

At least that color will match with students' ridiculous-looking sneakers.

I believe the Superdome used to have different colored seats so it would look full from a distance and on television.
Anything is better than the metallic color that makes every empty seat in the building stick out like a sore peepee.

I am curious though if Otto's Army still meets with SUAD. Just having student engagement would be enough for now.

Rutgers game had as many students as I've ever seen at a game. And it made such a difference. They were low like normal, and filled 2 upper end zone corners. They can create the atmosphere themselves with those numbers.
I can confirm members of Otto’s Army meet regularly with the SUAD.

John Wildhack has, IMHO, consistently prioritized the needs of the students for football and basketball and really wants students at the games, having fun, supporting their athletes. I believe he and the chancellor are strongly aligned on this.

I did that for you. But we can do Darkness on the Edge of Town if you prefer.

I don't care. But find something that involves all the new technology we've installed if you want people to maybe start participating.

It took the Yankees 3 different tries to land on Enter Sandman. If they hadn't, then Virginia Tech might just run out on the field to their boring fight song.

They all stole it from Billy Wagner.

It seems that something is going to happen with the lights, into, etc on Friday. It would be nice if 40K people were there for it. A win goes a long way to getting to the good stuff as the season progresses. After being locked in and etc last year looks like the kids are appreciating basic college rah rah a lot more.

Out in the Street would be a great 7th inning stretch song...

I can confirm members of Otto’s Army meet regularly with the SUAD.

John Wildhack has, IMHO, consistently prioritized the needs of the students for football and basketball and really wants students at the games, having fun, supporting their athletes. I believe he and the chancellor are strongly aligned on this.
all right so here's the question.....do we ALL show up in white? All meaning the fine messers at least.

all right so here's the question...do we ALL show up in white? All meaning the fine messers at least.

Im showing up in my white/grey bleached Syracuse shirt

I know we all prefer orange and I do to….but if we can help with the students and getting people to wear white Friday…..maybe we should give it a shot.

Maybe the students will get even more involved. Who knows

This is true, they showed up for Ru and were loud.

I’ve always thought they should move the band and visitor fans and give the students that entire end zone. That would be wild.

Im showing up in my white/grey bleached Syracuse shirt

I know we all prefer orange and I do to….but if we can help with the students and getting people to wear white Friday…..maybe we should give it a shot.

Maybe the students will get even more involved. Who knows
I don’t own any white shirts other than dress shirts. I can wear a white shirt about three times before I have to throw it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom