Summer Workouts | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

If Girard is struggling with the ball, we can put Mintz and Torrence out there together to shore up the weakness. Taylor might be the best forward ball handler, since he's billed as a guard/forward, but don't sleep on Williams. He is one of those guys who outgrew being a guard only a few years ago. He should be much better than he demonstrated last year. For me he's more of a tall SF than a combo forward at this point.

Benny's game needs to start being better off the ball and a two or three dribble mid range guy. While bigger, he has the Alan Griffin tendency of over showing the ball going into traffic. Also he has to go up much much stronger in the paint.

With Mintz on the floor I don't see Joe struggling on the ball. Open looks will be his challenge. It's all a paper analysis battle right now anyways.

If Girard is struggling with the ball, we can put Mintz and Torrence out there together to shore up the weakness. Taylor might be the best forward ball handler, since he's billed as a guard/forward, but don't sleep on Williams. He is one of those guys who outgrew being a guard only a few years ago. He should be much better than he demonstrated last year. For me he's more of a tall SF than a combo forward at this point.
Benny showed flashes as a ball handler last year and very good court vision. There were a couple of break out plays last year (long rebound or steal) where he pushed the ball up the court and dished. Looked like a guard.

If his shooting confidence grows, he could be very effective facing the basket. He can make that 3-4 dribble move from the wing, get inside the foul line and hit the J or dish.

The end result of the forwards battle is going to define the season, for sure.

One thing that intrigues me it's the video in the Brown recruiting thread where he hits a bunch of threes from the corner. Even if he can't do anything but hit wide open corner threes, Brown will be more viable as a starter at for because of that ability.

We have so much uncertainty, but also so much depth of possibly with this group!

Brown or Bunch?

Symir is our best point guard. 3 guards has worked for many teams, not just Nova and S Carolina. I expect to see it at least as an experiment. Our success will depend on our fowards.

I was referencing this tweet by Donna Ditota... But in my memory it was more than two made threes. Brown's form doesn't look like a guy who never shoots.

It would be interesting to see him get fed the ball in game situations. It wouldn't be often he gets fed from that angle. We need to see how he squares up. At least that stroke looks decent. It would be awesome if he has that capability. I think this whole class has a lot of potential.

I was referencing this tweet by Donna Ditota... But in my memory it was more than two made threes. Brown's form doesn't look like a guy who never shoots.

Ok. When you said hit a bunch of 3s I thought you meant the bunch video.

Ok. When you said hit a bunch of 3s I thought you meant the bunch video.
Honestly, bees, you had me doubting myself for a minute. I'm not senile yet, I guess.

Agree 100%.

More intrigued by:

Symir
Mintz
Benny
Taylor
Jessie

THAT'S an ACC caliber lineup, with appropriate athleticism.
We'll probably see that lineup a few minutes a half, at least. :)

I'm resigned that Girard will likely play 34mpg again this year, but I'd like it to be 29, with Torrence and Mintz getting some significant time.

At least give Girard a breather when he gets a little excited and takes a guarded heat check three from mid court...

Btw, did you flip flop Taylor and Williams because you see Williams as the SF in this lineup, or just consider the forwards interchangeable?

I don’t believe Mintz comes here without a starting spot. We’ll see
I agree with this. With that said he better bring the heat because Copeland is grown man looking for the same thing

Benny's game needs to start being better off the ball and a two or three dribble mid range guy. While bigger, he has the Alan Griffin tendency of over showing the ball going into traffic. Also he has to go up much much stronger in the paint.

With Mintz on the floor I don't see Joe struggling on the ball. Open looks will be his challenge. It's all a paper analysis battle right now anyways.
Well said. It's def all on paper right now. Copeland gets no love which is mind blowing I think he will surprise a lot of people as a freshman. looks really mature for his age.

Well said. It's def all on paper right now. Copeland gets no love which is mind blowing I think he will surprise a lot of people as a freshman. looks really mature for his age.

If Copeland will defend and rebound while his game settles in he absolutely can have a role. He will have to make a near complete 180 on commitment to D for that to happen.

I'm resigned that Girard will likely play 34mpg again this year, but I'd like it to be 29, with Torrence and Mintz getting some significant time.

At least give Girard a breather when he gets a little excited and takes a guarded heat check three from mid court...

Btw, did you flip flop Taylor and Williams because you see Williams as the SF in this lineup, or just consider the forwards interchangeable?

Agree with what you say about minutes distribution.

There was no significance to the order -- I was just listing the forwards, but I see why that would be confusing [if you were interpreting it as 1 through 5].

Genuinely unsure about whether Benny is a big 3, a small 4, or a 'tweener at this point.

You should mentally prepare yourself for Girard to be at 36 minutes a game, likely more.

He's our only proven shooter and we haven't had a minutes leader average less than 36 minutes a game since MCW in the 2012-2013 season. It sounds nuts, but the numbers don't lie.

Joe's our most experienced guy. He's never checking out.

I like Symir but I think the last few games should not override almost 2 years of tape. I think he is a change of pace guy at best who's flaws get exposed with more minutes. Definitely a role on the team, and possibly an impactful one at that but I think we need to step on the brakes regarding him starting and playing major minutes, unless Mintz is hype.

You should mentally prepare yourself for Girard to be at 36 minutes a game, likely more.

He's our only proven shooter and we haven't had a minutes leader average less than 36 minutes a game since MCW in the 2012-2013 season. It sounds nuts, but the numbers don't lie.

As long as he is 35-36 and not 40 can live with that. Plus the appropriate help around him at guard that preserves him staying at the 2 on offense.

The summer photos he looks a tinge leaner and in good shape. Given we won't be looking to him to be finishing like scoop at the rim this is a good thing. No need for unnecessary mass in his role.

The mental gymnastics people play with themselves thinking he’s going to play less every off-season is comical.

I don't think JB promises a starting position to anyone. I think Mintz was given an opportunity to start and he is confident and good enough to think that is all he needs.

"Players know when they're getting conned," says Rautins (Leo). I think they read Jim pretty well. He doesn't give them a line of junk. I had coaches telling me everything -- 'You're gonna do this -- you're gonna be a starter.' Jim would say, 'Hey, you have as much of a chance as anybody I've ever recruited, but I can't tell you you're going to start. It's not fair to the guys I have and it's not fair to you. If you do what I think you're capable of doing, most likely that will be your spot, but I can't just give it to you.'

From the winter 1995/96 Syracuse Alumni Magazine which I just happened to read yesterday while clearing out a bunch of old SU related stuff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom