Summer Workouts | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

Al Horford was 0-4 on three pointers in college. 0-6 for his first two years in the NBA. Last year he was 108-258 (41.9%) for the Celtics. Nothing wrong to think Eddie might shoot 35% in his fifth season of college ball. If he can pull the opposing center away from the basket with the threat of a three, it is a big win for the rest of the offense.

Summertime is for dreaming. 10+ wins in football, final four in hoops. Reality will get here when it gets here.
Right... That's why I referenced Horford in my earlier posts. :)

He is the poster child for players that made dramatic improvements to their game over their career.

Hes never taken a three and has no indicators that he can make them over his whole career.

People showcasing NBA talent-level guys like Horford or J Dub don't do anything for me as it pertains to Lampkin. Horford might end up in the HoF. J Dub was an all american and a first round draft pick. Lampkin isn't close to them.

Again, zero threes taken. No stats that would give an indication that he can do it. And he's a fifth year senior.

Want to hope for it? Sure. I do stuff like this all the time because I'm a big fan. But there is a reason JB (who I was hard on in his later years) used to shut this stuff down and it's because he knew the value of each possession.

And, I don't look at our roster right now and think we have the luxury of having Lampkin try to audition for the NBA (which is what this is) when he will not make the NBA and screw us in the process.

The guy should be working on his switchability on defense (because he's going to be put into a blender) and his ability to set and re-set picks and handle the short roll on offense. I get he can make buckets close to the basket. Great.
Horford is a nice player. Borderline Hall of Fame player? Not a chance...

Maybe if Horford gets substantially better in his 38-40 year old seasons than his 33-37 seasons he'll get in the Robert Parish Hall of Longevity, but even then the Hall of Fame seems highly unlikely.

Maybe if Horford gets substantially better in his 38-40 year old seasons than his 33-37 seasons he'll get in the Robert Parish Hall of Longevity, but even then the Hall of Fame seems highly unlikely.
Back to back ncaa and nba titles is a pretty good argument though.

1 - I know you are trying to avoid bashing Red outright but is it fair to say right now you are more than skeptical and thinking he’s not the guy ? To me the negative opinions baked into your response are plentiful around his ability to do the job. That’s where I’m going with my points more than it being about Eddie. My reference to Jdub was generic but figured familiarity was a better example.

2 - The game has changed along with society- the things we want emphasized and that coaches could get away with in terms of limiting players has taken close to a 180 degree turn. I’m as old school in the basics too but trying to be real with how things have to be managed now. It’s not unique to sports it’s everywhere including managing staff. So im done hanging on to something that isn’t returning anytime soon. Honestly if I hang onto it I just wouldn’t have any desire to watch the sport at all.

3- I do think its feasible he is working on his defense- given it was much better at TCU than in Boulder.

Re 1.
I love Red and have forever since he was a recruit and I was young. On my life, I still remember his Scholastic Sports America on ESPN.

I wanted a full coaching search that included external candidates. Whatever happened, happened.

I think Red was a good choice. He was an awesome player. Cut his teeth a few places coaching. Has connections. And I think he's clearly his own man in terms of respecting what JB built against where he wants to go for the future.

Last year he inherited the team and, depending on how you look at it, was successful. There is no doubt a case can be made that 20 wins was amazing. I think that is fair to say.

So, do I think he's the right guy? I want him to be, I'm not convinced of it yet in totality, but it's still early in his tenure.

Re 2.
Lampkin isnt making the NBA shooting threes. If Red cant convince him of that, thats a failure on Red's ability to effectively communicate and Lampkin's ability to absorb advice. If Lampkin cant be a plus defender, hes toast. If he cant switch at all, hes toast. If he doesnt understand how to defend the high pick and roll, hes toast. He will never, ever be a three point shooting big in the NBA. Point being, even if we are balancing what is good for Syracuse the bball team and Lampkin for his prospects (to be fair to Lampkin, the dude isnt a stiff), neither include him trying to shoot threes.

Re 3.
If he has any sense, he'd be committed to his defense like it was his saving grace.

JJ is going to get first crack at being the man. And he's going to have to work off a lot of screens. Who is setting that for him? Who can he depend on to screen and re-screen? Who can handle the short roll? I know the upside to JJ if he has confidence and his shot is fixed and he is healthy. I know the bare minimum I got with Chris Bell in terms of being a lights out shooter (btw, I'm coming around on Bell being awesome and making a huge jump even if he's limited). I know some other guys that came in will be aware of their role because of their limitations. I think Chase and Donnie are the two wild cards. But Donnie is on the radar for being a first round pick and he isn't going to stand in a corner.

I dunno, I don't dislike Lampkin. But for the resources we've committed to him, we need him being excellent at what we need him to be, not at what won't help him or us.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong and dude becomes a 270 pound Klay Thompson.

I don’t expect Eddie Lampkin to jack 5 3’s a game, but it seems like the idea is for him to shoot it respectably enough to not have the opposing defender sag in the paint and clog all of his passing lanes.

Back to back ncaa and nba titles is a pretty good argument though.
Horford is a good player. He was probably the fifth best player on the Celtics this year... You could say the same thing about each of his titles, college or pro. He was never the best player, but a great complementary piece.

Look at his stats, he's a very good player, but nowhere near the best player at his position.

I don't know what your criteria for the HoF is, but mine includes more than hanging around a long time.

Horford is a good player. He was probably the fifth best player on the Celtics this year... You could say the same thing about each of his titles, college or pro. He was never the best player, but a great complementary piece.

Look at his stats, he's a very good player, but nowhere near the best player at his position.

I don't know what your criteria for the HoF is, but mine includes more than hanging around a long time.
It definitely is a great debate.

Re 1.
I love Red and have forever since he was a recruit and I was young. On my life, I still remember his Scholastic Sports America on ESPN.

I wanted a full coaching search that included external candidates. Whatever happened, happened.

I think Red was a good choice. He was an awesome player. Cut his teeth a few places coaching. Has connections. And I think he's clearly his own man in terms of respecting what JB built against where he wants to go for the future.

Last year he inherited the team and, depending on how you look at it, was successful. There is no doubt a case can be made that 20 wins was amazing. I think that is fair to say.

So, do I think he's the right guy? I want him to be, I'm not convinced of it yet in totality, but it's still early in his tenure.

Re 2.
Lampkin isnt making the NBA shooting threes. If Red cant convince him of that, thats a failure on Red's ability to effectively communicate and Lampkin's ability to absorb advice. If Lampkin cant be a plus defender, hes toast. If he cant switch at all, hes toast. If he doesnt understand how to defend the high pick and roll, hes toast. He will never, ever be a three point shooting big in the NBA. Point being, even if we are balancing what is good for Syracuse the bball team and Lampkin for his prospects (to be fair to Lampkin, the dude isnt a stiff), neither include him trying to shoot threes.

Re 3.
If he has any sense, he'd be committed to his defense like it was his saving grace.

JJ is going to get first crack at being the man. And he's going to have to work off a lot of screens. Who is setting that for him? Who can he depend on to screen and re-screen? Who can handle the short roll? I know the upside to JJ if he has confidence and his shot is fixed and he is healthy. I know the bare minimum I got with Chris Bell in terms of being a lights out shooter (btw, I'm coming around on Bell being awesome and making a huge jump even if he's limited). I know some other guys that came in will be aware of their role because of their limitations. I think Chase and Donnie are the two wild cards. But Donnie is on the radar for being a first round pick and he isn't going to stand in a corner.

I dunno, I don't dislike Lampkin. But for the resources we've committed to him, we need him being excellent at what we need him to be, not at what won't help him or us.

I think offensively we’re going to look a lot different this year than in the past with the roster we have. A lot more passing and movement. Less dribbling and pick and roll game. Reading through the tea leaves it sounds like there will be very specific spots on the perimeter that if the defense decides to not guard Eddie, he will shoot the ball if the defense is blocking the passing lanes. Early in the season if he makes enough of a good percentage of these shots, it will make our future opponents scouting reports that much more difficult. The idea is that he can make those shots at a meaningful clip and force the defense out leaving space to make passes on the inside for layups or kick out for 3s by others.

If Eddie can make approximately 1/3 of his 3 point attempts at the top of the key, taking at most 3 per game, thereby requiring his man to come out and guard him and opening the driving lines for the slashers, then I am all in. If I recall, Maliq started doing this in the second half of the season (ducking as the rotten vegetables are thrown at me for referencing MB). Hell, I would be super thrilled if Eddie hit jumper-like bank shots from the free throw line.
3 per game? Did we all read the same article? It sounds like if he gets one or two looks for a game that would be surprising.

I bet he doesn't even take 50 3's over the full season.

If Eddie takes and makes one three all season, I hope it’s the one to beat Duke at the buzzer…and it’s over someone from that vaunted front court of theirs.
;)

Now, how can we get someone planted at the Melo Center to watch practices in real time? Surely someone here has that pull. I miss the days of going to an open Manley and knowing we had board scouts there pretty much all the time.

5× NBA All-Star (2010, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2018)

All-NBA Third Team (2011)

NBA All-Defensive Second Team (2018)

NBA All-Rookie First Team (2008)

2× NCAA champion (2006, 2007)

Third-team All-American – AP (2007)

It's closer than you think.

If he takes 5 that aren't at the shot clock or end of half I'd be beyond shocked.

Why are people ok with this and crapped on Kadary and Quincy for leaving to shoot threes? I'd rather either of them take 10 to Lampkin's 1.
My only concern with Guerrier worrying about threes was that he was so good and active on the offensive glass. His rebounding numbers plummeted at Oregon and his 3-pt shooting was meh.

I’m not against players expanding their games but I think sometimes the focus is on doing everything instead of doing a few things really well and then adding a bit here and there around the edges.

As for Lampkin shooting threes? Eh, we’ll see. I am much more concerned about Brown and Q being Basketball Players (not perfect but guys who do a lot of things to help you win games) and replacing them with Freeman (clearly oozing talent but a freshman) and Lampkin (he brings size and basketball skill, which is good, but can he defend, stay out of foul trouble, be in good enough shape to log big mins, does he fit from a team perspective). To be clear, I’m not saying it won’t work. But I’m always wary to trade out kids you’d love to play with, kids who do little things to help you win and replacing them with a super young kid and a guy who will put up numbers but we’re not sure of his overall impact.

Re 1.

Re 2.

Re 3.

A lot to discuss here. To pick one thing, I think Bell is a very interesting player this year. When it comes to putting the ball in the basket, he’s outstanding. It’s not just threes. He can pull up and shoot and he’s solid in transition. I think he can find ways to score in the lane.

The big thing for him, though, is that he’s going to have to find a way to go from a guy who can put the ball in the basket, to being a scorer who can do enough on the other end to not kill your defense.

For example, offensively he needs to go from the guy everyone gets annoyed with in old man pickup games (the guy who just spots up and shoots and doesn’t care about anything else) and become a guy who’s constantly moving off ball like a reddick or Steph. He obviously won’t be those guys but can he try to pattern his movement off some of what they do?

Defensively, I think he worked harder last season. Hopefully that continues. But he’s also got to really want it. There were several times he was attempting to box out for a rebound and just got discarded by the opponent. Some of defense and rebounding is talent and technique and strength… some of it is simply working your tail off and wanting it more than the other guy. Won’t make you a great defender or rebounder, but you’ll be competitive that way.

The interesting thing is both of those things are possible to genuinely improve in an off-season. Not sure he’ll become a truly instinctive two-way player, but I do believe he could genuinely improve on both ends.

5× NBA All-Star (2010, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2018)

All-NBA Third Team (2011)

NBA All-Defensive Second Team (2018)

NBA All-Rookie First Team (2008)

2× NCAA champion (2006, 2007)

Third-team All-American – AP (2007)

It's closer than you think.
We'll talk again after the Celtics three-peat, ok?

What are reports from the Melo Center? Coaches think we're better than last year? Anyone better or worse than expected?

JJ will be fine at PG - whether or not fine is good enough for this team remains to be seen and may be the defining question of their success

JJ will be fine at PG - whether or not fine is good enough for this team remains to be seen and may be the defining question of their success

With Carlos here I doubt JJ spends extensive time at the 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom