Summer Workouts | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

Based off last year I don't see how he deserves more than 5 mpg. Handle, passing, shooting, scoring, defense, essentially everything important he does below average. While also being a 6'2 off ball guard. Maybe he needed a year to get his legs back after all the injuries but im certainly not expecting much out of him.
Last year, I expected Cuffe to have a virtual redshirt while he recovered from his injury.

The fact he played at all last year shows that Red really likes him. Cuffe might be entirely different this year... He physically looks different, and he was a superb athlete. If that all came back, watch out.

If not, we've got a lot of guys that might be good in our back court, along with a lot of questions. Carlos, Lucas Taylor, Westry, Cuffe and Moore are all question marks for one reason or another. Who's going to pair most often with Starling?

To be determined.

Last year, I expected Cuffe to have a virtual redshirt while he recovered from his injury.

The fact he played at all last year shows that Red really likes him. Cuffe might be entirely different this year... He physically looks different, and he was a superb athlete. If that all came back, watch out.

If not, we've got a lot of guys that might be good in our back court, along with a lot of questions. Carlos, Lucas Taylor, Westry, Cuffe and Moore are all question marks for one reason or another. Who's going to pair most often with Starling?

To be determined.
agreed. Lets not forget he was recruited to Kansas. They know guards. He definitely has ability.

To be determined.
Im not sure how you can expect him to be totally different when he played the whole year and got less and less minutes on a team that badly needed bodies. Even his high school ranking was a 3 star and tore his MCL and PCL since then.

Im not sure how you can expect him to be totally different when he played the whole year and got less and less minutes on a team that badly needed bodies. Even his high school ranking was a 3 star and tore his MCL and PCL since then.

I don’t think anyone is expecting it- just looking at the possibility that he could be a different player this year with a full healthy off season and experience to boot.

If he could just give us15-20 minutes of what Baye did every game we would be better. Rebound block a few shots and occasionally score some points.
The Highlander was our second best player last season according to both BPM and PER. Only Maliq Brown performed better in the minutes he was on the court.

Naheem McLeod can do far more than just "block a few shots and occasionally score."

He also had a very good 16% o rebounding, so I'm hoping he can finish from more than dunking range. McLeod's 13.8 block percentage would have been the 36th best bl% season ever since they started keeping track 15 seasons ago. It was easily the best in NCAA play last season. Too bad he was injured and didn't play enough to qualify.

Assuming health, I think Lampkin and McLeod are going to be a very good combination in the middle.

Also, McLeod looks more muscular, and getting rid of the goofy hair cut makes him look almost scary out there once he gets the scowl going.

I'm pretty excited for the season already.

Edit: for clarity

Last edited:
If he could just give us15-20 minutes of what Baye did every game we would be better. Rebound block a few shots and occasionally score some points.
I just want to see the second play on each possession from him. Maintain intensity throughout. Get the second block, and the third block, and then the rebound. That’s all I need from him. Offense is just gravy.

Funny you mention Cuffe in this light. It got me thinking about last year. I remember thinking to myself in many games last year how business like he looked. I don't recall any smiles at all. It appeared (and this coming from my couch down in Tampa watching on tv) that he might approach basketball much differently than some of the dudes no longer on the team who didn't want to listen or would goof off and not buy into team basketball. If there is any truth to that, imagine how refreshing it is to have new teammates who are working hard and taking things seriously. That would bring a smile to my face as well.

I think Cuffe has gotten so little mention by many here. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's a vital part of a handful of wins this coming year.
I think he’s a spark on defense. He seems to take defense seriously.

I just want to see the second play on each possession from him. Maintain intensity throughout. Get the second block, and the third block, and then the rebound. That’s all I need from him. Offense is just gravy.
I agree and was down on him last year when he wouldn't follow up a play. At the time, I was not aware he was injured which severely impacted his mobility. His first couple of games this year should tell us a lot.

The Highlander was our second best player last season according to both BPM and PER. Only Maliq Brown performed better in the minutes he was on the court.

Naheem McLeod can do far more than just "block a few shots and occasionally score."

He also had a very good 16% o rebounding, so I'm hoping he can finish from more than dunking range. McLeod's 13.8 block percentage would have been the 36th best bl% season ever since they started keeping track 15 seasons ago. It was easily the best in NCAA play last season. Too bad he was injured and didn't play enough to qualify.

Assuming health, I think Lampkin and McLeod are going to be a very good combination in the middle.

Also, McLeod looks more muscular, and getting rid of the goofy hair cut makes him look almost scary out there once he gets the scowl going.

I'm pretty excited for the season already.

Edit: for clarity
The omnipresent discounting of McLeod’s contributions is a narrative with no basis, other than preconceptions.
I’m excited to see him when he is fully healthy.

Bizarre commentary here.
What's bizarre about my comment? Shoym asked if he looks more intimidating this year, and I responded that IMO his short hair makes him look tougher. Do you not think different haircuts can make someone look more or less intimidating?

Bizarre commentary here.
I disagree. He's allowed to have his hair any way he likes, just like every other player.

I'm also allowed to think the Highlander's hair was goofy. Peter Carey and Benny Williams both took some ribbing here for their hair choices in recent seasons. McLeod's hair was like a mixture of the late 80s "box" style and something I don't have a name for.

The short hair looks much more business like.

I can't believe I've been drawn into a player's hair conversation.

I'd love to live in a world where we're talking about the athletes and their play rather than if you think their haircut is "weird" or "goofy".

It's no different than supporting the hair policies of the Yankees. Just let people be themselves.

Pretty much everything I was thinking in my previous posts on Kyle. I think due to injury and fitness levels he showed only a glimpse of what made him a strong 4 star prospect. The defense comments are what excite me the most but as do the return of being more explosive in transition and improving his shot.

Pretty much everything I was thinking in my previous posts on Kyle. I think due to injury and fitness levels he showed only a glimpse of what made him a strong 4 star prospect. The defense comments are what excite me the most but as do the return of being more explosive in transition and improving his shot.
Im curious what you think his role could be? I think its very limiting to be a 6'1 or 6'2 off ball guard thats not a very good shooter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom