Super Bowl LVII Thread... | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Super Bowl LVII Thread...

1:45 is plenty of time. You don't need to go deep. So Philly wouldn't have played with urgency with 1:45 left? If anything KC would try to stop the deep ball cuz they likely lose if they give up a TD, making them vulnerable underneath. But Nostradamus thinks a drive to move 35-40 yards is absolutely out of the question. smh
Just giving my rank amateur opinion. No idea why you’re letting it get under your skin.

You have to make a football move after the catch. He never did. We may or may not like the rule but that's clearly been the rule for some time now. They overturned that call in about 10 seconds. You could tell an overturn was coming cuz KC's celebration was very muted. They knew it wasn't going to count.

The football move itself is a bailout for the refs. Possession and two feet down should be enough like there.

Still think you got jobbed at end of game.

The Bengals had the same call go against them last year, but they did get the ball back.

Let’s be honest, they should’ve gone for it on 4th and twos
It shouldn’t have even gotten to 4th and 2. They were gaining multiple yards every time they ran the push play. At minimum they could have run it twice and picked up the first down if they didn’t convert on the first one. I don’t get why they deviated from it in the biggest moment of the game.

You have to make a football move after the catch. He never did. We may or may not like the rule but that's clearly been the rule for some time now. They overturned that call in about 10 seconds. You could tell an overturn was coming cuz KC's celebration was very muted. They knew it wasn't going to count.

IMO he did make a move. He turned and took a step forward as he was hit.

My take as a Giants fan / and lessening NFL fan:

1) Refs being THE storyline. I hate it. The call at the end of the game that was maybe correct by the letter of the law, but the game hadn't been officiated that way and now that's the story. (IMO, you can't make that call after officiating it differently the whole game; and it looks really bad that they didn't throw the flag until Mahomes started complaining from what I saw). Also, the "what is a catch" question just keeps hanging over football games like a rain cloud.

2) The field was a mess. You have all world athletes slipping all over the place. How can this happen in 2023? NFL teams having to swap cleats during the SB in 2023 without a change in weather? Come on.

3) Why is Bradshaw still handling the mic after the game? Why is he making fat jokes? Embarrassing.

4) I really enjoy KB and Olsen as an announcing team. I hate the thought of having to listen to Tom Brady as Fox's #1 team instead of Olsen.

Ya, talking heads about Mahomes place in history and where he'll end up is fine. But unlike the NBA, NFL focuses on team success and validity. And while I don't think games are fixed, it's sure easy to see how games can be viewed as influenced by refs that appear to be unable to handle the evolving game crossed with the rules changes crossed with instant replay.

I dunno, those two teams were awesome. And now the remnants of the game are the call, the field, Mahomes place in history if you care about it and Rihanna doing the greatest pregnancy announcement in the history of the world.

I normally think Olsen is ok but last night I thought he was really bad. Almost like he was out all week partying. Not looking forward to Brady.

I think Olsen is the best ex-player color guy but I'm not a big fan of ex-players as color commentators.

I think old coaches are better but they don't seem to want to move to the booth (most prefer the studio).

Today's coaches also probably make so much money at a later stage in life (than a 20-30 something player) that they don't need the extra $10-20M.

I expect Brady to stink because he's got a fine line to walk between the GOAT criticizing on-field play/decision making ("easy for him to say") and pollyanna saying how wonderful something banal is.

Wouldn't surprise me if Brady pulls it off because he's not a dummy.

Dude must have lost a large chunk of change on crypto if he needs to go into broadcasting. I'd be gone in a NY minute if I played a pro sport for 20 plus years and made ~$300M

It’s the worst call I’ve ever seen in any sport

Hot take city. It wasn't a good call- that said when the player who committed it agrees with the call... I mean it's not the worst call ever. The timing was bad for sure and I think it killed what should have been a great ending.

One thing I will say is that Philly saved a timeout on a delay of game then burned it on the same scenario later. Needed to stick with that strategy and keep that TO.

I don't like to using the officials as the reason a team lost. But I will say this...

They seemed to let them play for most of the game, but then make that final one on an uncatchable ball. Was it a penalty? Yes. Were they called like that all game? No. Point it... let them play, so the Super Bowl doesn't end as it did. It was a good game too.

I haven't gone back and watched, but did anyone else see some block in the backs on the Toney return?

Still can't get over the catch or no catch rulings.. and the NFL or their refs still don't either.

I pointed the blocks in the back out actually last night in the thread. Both were not egregious and unnecessary but absolutely have seen those called.

I meant to add in that I think the lack of sacks from two aggressive DLs is another example of how bad the field was. You could point to that and the Butker first FG miss among many other things. The NFL should be apologizing for the field for the next 5 months. It was a disgrace.

Apologies to any chiefs fans but I expect participation trophies will be your takeaway today.
Eagles secondary wont even get a trophy for participating in pass coverage.

I meant to add in that I think the lack of sacks from two aggressive DLs is another example of how bad the field was. You could point to that and the Butker first FG miss among many other things. The NFL should be apologizing for the field for the next 5 months. It was a disgrace.
i mean, look at this nonsense...The eagles pressure comes from their outside d end speed and it was completely negated by the field.

Just giving my rank amateur opinion. No idea why you’re letting it get under your skin.
Just confused why you stubbornly stick to a whacky take. That somehow the crucial holding call had zero to do with the outcome. I'm not even arguing whether it was the right or wrong call but nobody in their right mind would say it was inconsequential.

The football move itself is a bailout for the refs. Possession and two feet down should be enough like there.

I agree with you. It used to be that way not all that long ago.

Between the field conditions and the superhuman like recovery from Mahomes there were a lot of things that went against the grain of expectations last night.
Mahomes getting ready for the second half

kevin spacey spoilers GIF

Then KC would have had another TD on the overturned defensive TD.
One stop by Philly was all it needed. That is where the “blame” goes.

The only legit argument that should be made that is not being made, is defensive holding shouldn’t be an automatic first down.

Should’ve been 3rd and 3 after that penalty. There is zero good reason I can think of to make it an automatic first down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom