"Swing offense" | Syracusefan.com

"Swing offense"

armory

All American
I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable hoops guy, but I'm not familiar with this term. A few people I've talked to have said that this is one aspect of our matchup with Wisconsin that people aren't talking about for some reason, saying that the 'swing offense' is horrible against a zone.Could someone please explain this a bit for me?

Basically because there's constant ball and player movement; they rarely stay in 1 spot for too long.

I would imagine that the swing offense would entail swinging the ball from corner, to top, to corner. It could also use the free throw line as a passing position. I would imagine it is one of those two offensive philosophies. With the way our zone rotates and glides, it would take away some of those passing lanes and prevent the open look as long as the weak side defender isn't caught napping. When our zone is active it essentially nullifies that type of ball movement.

Wisconsin is considered one of the best swing offenses in the nation. This offensive tactic allows for ball and player movement on the perimeter including passing to wings down low and then out to the top of the key. It is very good against man-man as it provides movement, picks, and usually culminates against an open shot. It also requires many passes to find the open person..or the best shot; thus time comes off the shot clock and the pace of the game is slowed. Also a reason why Wisconsin does not turn the ball over a lot...no rush.
Fortunately for 'Cuse our zone plays areas not players...so all that movement while time consuming, doesnt affect defending players as much...a player is taking care of an area not moving all around the court...this should be a definitive advantage for 'Cuse.

A perfect "Swing Offense" needs Benny Goodman at the point.

3676_1026980993.jpg

One of the Cuse blogs interviewed a Wiscy blogger and he said they've barely run it with this year's team.

The blogger is correct in that they haven't run the "Swing" as they have in the past. The descriptions above are accurate, but a big part of the offense as Bo teaches it is the interchangeability of guards and forwards. That means that when the offense is running in its ideal fashion you'll see guards posting up and bigs playing on the perimeter and vice versa. It calls for bigs who can pass and shoot from outside (which they have) and guards comfortable playing inside (which they don't really, outside of Jordan).

But because Jordan Taylor is so vital to the running of this particular team, I think they are hesitant to run the offense through others while he cycles through the post with everyone else. Hope this is helpful.

Even in years where UW has run the swing often, they don't run it against zone - in short, don't worry about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom