Symir Torrence Transferring from Marquette to Syracuse | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Symir Torrence Transferring from Marquette to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point you just want guys here, who want to be here. This kid bleeds Orange, and as the writer Langston Hughes once said: "A dream deferred, is a dream denied".
Sy had to wait a bit, but now his dream is coming true. You can bet he's gonna give 110% at SU.

I hope everyone listens to that entire interview. This young man is everything you want personality wise in a student athlete and a point guard. He is well spoken, focused on his teammates and making an opportunity for himself by creating chances for others. He mentions leadership and that comes out clearly in how he communicates. I know there are question marks and some folks aren't high on him and given his Marquette stats that is certainly fair. With that said I am really looking forward to what he can do. As a pass first guy and a guy who wants to be pushed and be a great teammate and leader - not to mention he was still a top 100 recruit- there is a lot to work with here. I love having a PG on the floor who is a good communicator and brings lots of positivity.

I hope everyone listens to that entire interview. This young man is everything you want personality wise in a student athlete and a point guard. He is well spoken, focused on his teammates and making an opportunity for himself by creating chances for others. He mentions leadership and that comes out clearly in how he communicates. I know there are question marks and some folks aren't high on him and given his Marquette stats that is certainly fair. With that said I am really looking forward to what he can do. As a pass first guy and a guy who wants to be pushed and be a great teammate and leader - not to mention he was still a top 100 recruit- there is a lot to work with here. I love having a PG on the floor who is a good communicator and brings lots of positivity.
James Thues was the same way in one of his interviews. We need a good pg on the court, that’s one of our glaring weaknesses.

James Thues was the same way in one of his interviews. We need a good pg on the court, that’s one of our glaring weaknesses.

Different players, different situations...that analogy isn't close

The kid hasn't played one minute for SU and he is already getting this crap. Richmond's ship sailed. Everybody is ready to replace Symir before even giving him a chance.

Last edited:
Different players, different situations...that analogy isn't close

The kid hasn't played one minute for SU and he is already getting this crap. Richmond's ship sailed. Everybody is ready to replace Symir before even giving him a chance.
Same scenario. It was an interview before James played a game at Syracuse. What crap did i give him exactly? I prefer actions over words.

Same scenario. It was an interview before James played a game at Syracuse. What crap did i give him exactly? I prefer actions over words.

James joined the team as a freshman. Symir is a transfer who has played with two guys on the team, he is also a local kid. James also joined a team with chemistry problems plus Meshaun. He was 5-10 and didn't do much very well. James was not a local kid. Leadership was most definitely not his thing either.

You have made it clear the team isn't going to be much without Kadary.. which is essentially the essence of every post even if you don't drop his name. Throwing the generic "need a good PG" when we are talking about the most recent PG we just added makes it pretty clear what you are saying. We don't have to add a 5 star PG to be good next year.

The obsession over the Kadary loss and doom and gloom is stale. If a kid isn't happy where he is you will never get his best.

James joined the team as a freshman. Symir is a transfer who has played with two guys on the team, he is also a local kid. James also joined a team with chemistry problems plus Meshaun. He was 5-10 and didn't do much very well. James was not a local kid. Leadership was most definitely not his thing either.

You have made it clear the team isn't going to be much without Kadary.. which is essentially the essence of every post even if you don't drop his name. Throwing the generic "need a good PG" when we are talking about the most recent PG we just added makes it pretty clear what you are saying. We don't have to add a 5 star PG to be good next year.

The obsession over the Kadary loss and doom and gloom is stale. If a kid isn't happy where he is you will never get his best.
Who even mentioned Kadary here besides you lol. And you talked about him probably as much as I have. I just want good pg play with the talent we have coming in or else its just a big waste of talent. Is symir the guy? Hopefully he’s better than what we have.

Who even mentioned Kadary here besides you lol. And you talked about him probably as much as I have. I just want good pg play with the talent we have coming in or else its just a big waste of talent. Is symir the guy? Hopefully he’s better than what we have.

Good PG play doesn't have to be a 5 star elite PG. Leadership, commitment and hard work paired with a top 100 kid is a nice combination on paper. Add pre existing chemistry to that. Most importantly he wants to be here. No one is crowning the kid yet. Just noting the positives which seems to get folks riled up. Go figure.

Good PG play doesn't have to be a 5 star elite PG. Leadership, commitment and hard work paired with a top 100 kid is a nice combination on paper. Add pre existing chemistry to that. No one is crowning the kid yet. Just noting the positives which seems to get folks riled up. Go figure.
I agree . Im a actions over words kinda guy. Saying the right things is nice but lets translate it to the court.

I am more optimistic because we have scoring at 3+1/2 positions around him. Some years we would be lucky to have 3 shooters instead of 2 with a pg that doesn't score. That is why a guy like Howard Washington and Kaleb didn't get much run. No offense to freshmen Guerrier and Dolezaj jumpshot. Assists are worthless without scoring. For what it's worth I preferred Howard's style of pg play over Richmonds because of the seniority, quickness and, numbers don't tell the true story all the time.

I agree we don't need a humble Symir, we need a hungry Symir imo. From what I read on the marquette boards, it sounds like Marquette wanted him to put up points last year, but we need him to keep the ball moving not to play scared cat or worry about numbers. Hard not to turn the ball over when your being asked to force shots. Hope him and Girard work together on both ends. Really hope we pick up Jimmy now!

Last edited:
Bwahaha

This one other dude was good at interviews and didn’t work out so

-

If this kid was a top 100 HS kid just coming to us, we’d all be amped. We know a bit more now and most are tempering their expectations accordingly.

The other guy was looking to leave pretty quick. Happy to have a guy who bleeds orange, knows his role. He’ll max out his time here and maybe that is better than we’re giving him credit for

He has a good handle and is pretty long. Top 75 out of HS shows he has game. He isnt Kadary but he is much better than Joe at the pg position. Team chemistry is improved which is a big plus. I think he is going to do well.

I’m mixed on Symir, but fans shouldn’t kid themselves. As a lifetime upstate resident I have followed both of their career tracks closely. Joe is the better player. He was better in AAU when they were together and better in college so far.

I agree with that. My biggest issue with Symir is he shows no ability to be an offensive threat at all. I wonder how that plays.

The biggest think is that Symir is joining an extremely good offensive/shooting team where his offense is not what is needed but instead his defense, ball handling and true PG play. Add being a vocal guy on the court and a potential ( until proven) glue guy and it fits. He doesn't fit where he needs to be a guy putting up 10-15 pts a game. Just 5-7 where he can hit a shot or get into the paint a few times for a runner/layup.

I'm not high on him being Kadary's replacement. More so as the guy mentioned above. I think that role is a great fit for a team that is going to be hard to guard 2-5.

In addition- we need to see development as a ball handler from Joe. And what I mean is he needs to be going north south not east west. We saw signs of it freshman year and then it dissappeared.

Something else that no one has mentioned is that Buddy has added elements to his game every year. Finishing in traffic, closely guarded and winning mismatches was this past year. Don't be surprised if he comes in with a better handle and as a better passer. Those two things are the next step for him to actually making himself a pro prospect. In 3 years he has surpassed all doubts and become a very good college player and big-time scorer.

Between Symir being the role player, Joe getting better, Buddy adding to his game, the likely growth of Jesse, Cole and Benny being deal compliments to Buddy- the pieces are there. The chemistry benefit of so many guys who are bought in and want to be here and then the hopeful return of Frank, adding Jimmy and more pie in the sky but possiblity of QG makes a really complete looking team to me. The last piece would be another guard either via Griffin surprising, the portal or a late 21 kid. Would love to see us find another overseas kid as a 4 year guy at guard.. maybe hunting Slovakia again??

We’re gonna need Benny to play point forward at times and hopefully Allen tightens up his handle as well if he’s still around next year. We still need to bring in another guard.

What was the reasoning for him going to Marquette out of HS instead of the cuse? Was he not offered or was it a choice between JG and him?

Last edited:
How do you miss on all those recruits?Washington had one decent year . And Joe still has two more years to show us something.

Despite the poor Marquette stats I'm sure he'll be better than those guys. I include Girard as the flaws in his game aren't going anywhere Id be surprised if people don't want Symir starting.

Long athletic guy with some skill who will know hes the 4th option offensively when hes on the floor. He should be a Duany/Pace type of contributor I'd expect and quickly a fan favorite (even though we'll all be wishing we had an NBA quality PG.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom