Syracuse Must Correct Weaknesses To Make A Deep Run | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Must Correct Weaknesses To Make A Deep Run

If you believe this to be true, then we aren't going to make a deep run. You don't change who you are on March 13th. You may have a game or two where certain weaknesses (such as outside shooting) are not as glaring, but if you try to change things now, you will only make things worse because the guys will be thinking too much. When guys think too much, they play slower and make more mistakes.

You just have to trust that SU will continue to win how they've been winning - stout defense and points off of turnovers.

I think our rebounding could improve, There have been many games where we seem to be -10 in the first ten minutes & then turn it up & battle at least even the rest of the way. That is simply effort and desire. Why isn't the switch turned on at the jump ball ?

Outside shooting & half court O will not change. We are who we are in general, but that doesn't mean that we won't have games where somebody needs to gets hot from outside to prevail.

However, it will probably be our D & TO margin that that carries us in the end.

Our 3 point shooting is what it is. It would be nice if James returned to early season form and it would change things in a big way, but I'm assuming it isn't likely. It would be nice if both Scoop and Brandon were hitting from behind the arc every night but it is unlikely.

It would be nice if Fab muscled his defender, presented himself for the entry pass, and converted on those passes 60% of the time. It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

What I want to see is more basic and (hopefully) more achievable; everyone healthy (beyond everyone's control so how achievable it is will remain to be seen), at least two of the three main guards having good games (if we can get all three, so much the better...we can make due with 2 of them. We saw what happened against Cincy when 2 of the three were struggling), better blocks by Fab instead of goal tends, reasonable rebounding...stay at least even and don't get blown off the boards...get out on the shooters defensively, and play with fire for the full 40 minutes.

If we bring our A game every night for 6 games, we can win it all. It doesn't even have to involve major changes. Just do what we do best and do it every game.

You just have to trust that SU will continue to win how they've been winning - stout defense and points off of turnovers.

That is pretty much it.

If they can maintain the defensive intensity and generate transition scoring opportunities it will be hard for anyone to beat them. I believe they can get enough offense to win from somewhere, as they have done in almost every game all season. I just can't predict where that offense will come from, which isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO.

Defense is the key to this team, no doubt. It will be there every game. I'm not saying they have to fix all of those issues and make them strengths in order to make the final four. I'm saying those are the main glaring weaknesses on this team, and in order to prevent an early exit, improving them to some degree would help. The worst offender is the rebounding, more specifically allowing other teams to get 15-20 offensive boards per game. That's just too many. Cut that down to 8-12 and it helps dramatically.

Like some of you said, these issues are what they are. But that doesn't mean they can't be improved in some capacity. I'm simply pointing out the issues that would likely flare up should there be an early exit.

That said, I don't expect one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom