Taurean Thompson | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

I think it is tough to match those guys, but Lydon's improvement, as well as the improvement of guys like Howard and even Roberson, will make the team pretty solid.

Yeah you could be right. It's just scary when you lost a lot from a rather average Syracuse team and start the next season very inexpierienced.

I know everybody, including myself, is always concerned with how we will replace the production that we lost from the previous season, but these things always have a way of working themselves out. We lost more offensive production after '08-09 than we did this year, and we found a way to actually be even better. In this particular case, I would think improvement from Lydon, Howard, and yes, even Roberson and Coleman, combined with the addition of Battle, Gillon, and Moyer, will end up taking care of things. Add in Mystery Man, and we'd be set. But even without him, we still should have two talented guards with the ability to create, penetrate, shoot, and just find ways to score in Battle and Gillon. Howard's entertaining passing ability with a longer leash when it comes to shooting may very well round out the backcourt better than some people expect. Sure, Chukwu won't be relied upon to score much, if at all, but the expectation that he will provide a huge benefit on the defensive end with his shot-blocking may help impact our offense simply by providing some additional transition opportunities. We all know Lydon will be able to do a little of anything and everything, and hopefully Roberson will be more consistent and be the rebounding and put-back monster we all know he can be for his final year on the Hill. Tie in Moyer off the bench, who may end up providing a decent impact by being overlooked in scouting reports, a la sophomore Kris Joseph, and our forward rotation really doesn't look shabby at all.

As has been mentioned by a few others, I think a bigger concern should be the loss of the senior leadership we had from G and Cooney.

I know everybody, including myself, is always concerned with how we will replace the production that we lost from the previous season, but these things always have a way of working themselves out. We lost more offensive production after '08-09 than we did this year, and we found a way to actually be even better. In this particular case, I would think improvement from Lydon, Howard, and yes, even Roberson and Coleman, combined with the addition of Battle, Gillon, and Moyer, will end up taking care of things. Add in Mystery Man, and we'd be set. But even without him, we still should have two talented guards with the ability to create, penetrate, shoot, and just find ways to score in Battle and Gillon. Howard's entertaining passing ability with a longer leash when it comes to shooting may very well round out the backcourt better than some people expect. Sure, Chukwu won't be relied upon to score much, if at all, but the expectation that he will provide a huge benefit on the defensive end with his shot-blocking may help impact our offense simply by providing some additional transition opportunities. We all know Lydon will be able to do a little of anything and everything, and hopefully Roberson will be more consistent and be the rebounding and put-back monster we all know he can be for his final year on the Hill. Tie in Moyer off the bench, who may end up providing a decent impact by being overlooked in scouting reports, a la sophomore Kris Joseph, and our forward rotation really doesn't look shabby at all.

As has been mentioned by a few others, I think a bigger concern should be the loss of the senior leadership we had from G and Cooney.
Excellent post. And the last point, about losing that senior leadership - wasn't mentioned enough in the past few weeks due to Mali.
  • Without Richardson's contributions? Wouldn't have made it this far.
  • Without Coondawg's contributions and leadership? Wouldn't have made it this far.
  • Without G-Money's contributions and leadership? Wouldn't have made it this far.
Team.

Yeah you could be right. It's just scary when you lost a lot from a rather average Syracuse team and start the next season very inexpierienced.
I agree, there are a lot of unknowns. But, the way Howard finished the year impressed me. The kid just looks like a baller. We can debate his shooting percentage all day long, the fact is, it was low. But he looked good in the NCAA tournament, didn't he? He is good. And so is Lydon. The kid deferred a lot last year. He is smart enough to know that his role will increase this year, and he is talented enough to take it on and be ready. I could be all wrong, but I think we have some really special players and we are adding more, like Moyer. That kid is a winner and a team player. Battle is a freaking stud and he is another winner. Again, I may be wrong, but I have been wrong once this week, and that is my limit, so we should be good.

BTW, this is an great discussion, albeit misplaced on the Taurean Thompson thread, but this is great.

No doubt! So back to Thompson. I'm over him, we did what we could, he liked us, visited a lot and had good things to say. If he decides to go elsewhere good luck to him. If he comes to SU great! Totally not worth wasting brain energy on as its obviously a very strange and long drawn out recruitment.

No doubt! So back to Thompson. I'm over him, we did what we could, he liked us, visited a lot and had good things to say. If he decides to go elsewhere good luck to him. If he comes to SU great! Totally not worth wasting brain energy on as its obviously a very strange and long drawn out recruitment.
Agree 100%. He and his family have their reasons for choosing a school and handling the recruiting process as they have, and I respect that. But as a fan, I have invested all I can in following this kid.

We will have a 5th year PG and 5th year center.
We will have a senior PF.
Lydon played starters minutes last year.

Don't disagree, just wish we had some expierienced scoring outside of Lydon. I hope Robey and DC improve, I'm just not counting on it! Definately want the team to do well, I just have concerns about the offense. It needs to be better.

Don't disagree, just wish we had some expierienced scoring outside of Lydon. I hope Robey and DC improve, I'm just not counting on it! Definately want the team to do well, I just have concerns about the offense. It needs to be better.

I think Robey might average double figures but it would be barely IMO, although that doesn't mean he won't improve. I just don't see him as more than a 12pt a game guy max. But I expect double digit scoring from Battle, Lydon and Gillon. Either way I think we get 50+ points out of those 4 and then another 20 combined from Frank, Matt, DC2 and Chukwu.

It's really crazy. How can this kid not pick the Orange. ACC is one the best most high profile leagues. Seton Hall is in Newark NJ. The Dome is a sensational place to play. The kid has excellent facilities to get pumped up for the NBA. We've been getting a lot of players drafted. I just don't get it. Syracuse University is an amazing place. How can you not fall in love with that place the moment you see it? Maybe he thinks he will get more PT with Seton Hall. He hasn't visited Michigan State. I think he should have some faith in his own abilities and try to be the best PF or C in the ACC. Seton Hall is always a mess off the court. He's not going to be 1-and-done with Seton Hall. At least with us he has a chance for some big national exposure. Maybe he's afraid of our high profile team. Or maybe the kid is just slow to commit. I can see that for someone making this decision.

Whatever the reason is, I hope we get this guy.

Just a point of clarification, Seton Hall is in South Orange, not Newark. Also, while their league is overall not as good as SU's league, it did just produce the National Champion. If you mention that "Seton Hall is always a mess off the court", looking objectively, a recruit would have to see SU's foibles in that area as well.

TT's grades are fine, according to Francis. 3.0 This is all about his mother. And it's so beyond annoying.
Two things:
(1) If she's that opposed to him coming to SU, then good riddance...go somewhere else.
And,
(2) If he can't stand up and say unequivocally that the Cuse is where he wants to be, then what kind of "mama's boy", immature, unassertive personality are we dealing with here?
Yes, I'm generalizing and posting out of frustration, but at some point TT has to stand up for himself.
S*** or get off the pot, young man.
Sheesh.

Just a point of clarification, Seton Hall is in South Orange, not Newark. Also, while their league is overall not as good as SU's league, it did just produce the National Champion. If you mention that "Seton Hall is always a mess off the court", looking objectively, a recruit would have to see SU's foibles in that area as well.
South Orange isn't Millburn Short Hills in NJ. Newark is till in competition with East Orange and Irvington to be The worse urban areas in the state. Oh, and we can't forget Çamden. There are others to be sureSome kids find comfort in these surroundings They understand them and know how to survive easily. It seems obvious moments him there and that is where he will play,fine there are others that might enjoy the city and what it has to offer and a school that is at the very least a high visibility program. It reaches out here to California.A lot of conversations with young people here about the Orange about Jimmy and the Dome.Recruiting basketball players here isn't about telling kids that we exist. Its about selling the why they should go east to play in their career. Hopkins should be the lead recruiter having come from this state. He and Red should pair up for the road work.

I'll give you South Orange. But it's like when I lived in Lambertville I would tell outsiders I live in Trenton.

Two things:
(1) If she's that opposed to him coming to SU, then good riddance...go somewhere else.
And,
(2) If he can't stand up and say unequivocally that the Cuse is where he wants to be, then what kind of "mama's boy", immature, unassertive personality are we dealing with here?
Yes, I'm generalizing and posting out of frustration, but at some point TT has to stand up for himself.
S*** or get off the pot, young man.
Sheesh.

I'm just glad your mother allows to you come to this site.

I'm just glad your mother allows to you come to this site.
Huh?
upload_2016-5-19_13-36-41.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom