Taurean Thompson | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

Not my point.

I agree

But they got back a guard who was possibly a lottery pick, a good shooting guard, and another quality guard.

Just venting my frustration.
Ivan Rabb isn't a guard. Good for them, if I were a Cal fan I would be excited. It has been mentioned before, but it bares repeating, we got Lydon back, we are coming off a FF, the second in four years, we have very intelligent, respected and talented coaches who know this team better than any of us. We will get more than our share, and then some will still choose to focus on the negative. I just prefer to sit back and enjoy the successes.

Ivan Rabb isn't a guard. Good for them, if I were a Cal fan I would be excited. It has been mentioned before, but it bares repeating, we got Lydon back, we are coming off a FF, the second in four years, we have very intelligent, respected and talented coaches who know this team better than any of us. We will get more than our share, and then some will still choose to focus on the negative. I just prefer to sit back and enjoy the successes.

I agree, look at what we have and then look around at what other teams have. At this point there are maybe 10 teams that you could say are clearly in a better situation than us and then another handful that are arguable. It would be great to add a couple pieces, one in particular but we are in good shape and there is no reason for doom and gloom.

I agree, look at what we have and then look around at what other teams have. At this point there are maybe 10 teams that you could say are clearly in a better situation than us and then another handful that are arguable. It would be great to add a couple pieces, one in particular but we are in good shape and there is no reason for doom and gloom.
Yep, we have a nice three guard rotation. Another would be nice for depth, practice and insurance in case of injury, but three guards that we can use in any combination. A three forward rotation with starters that are as good as just about anybody. Think about having Roberson playing all year like he did in the NCAA tournament. I think the light went on for him and we are in for a huge senior year. He might not score 20 points per game or even 15, but few will have the impact on the game that he will. Lydon is ready to bust out, he is very patient and smart. He knew he didn't have to be the man last year. This year, he can be the man and he will continue to be a smart player and flow in the offense, but he will have more of an opportunity to shine. Luckily Moyer won't have to do too much, he can come in with little pressure and play hard for whatever minutes he gets. If they mystery man comes, then this is one hell of a forward rotation. Very versatile and pretty much they can be used in any combination. And then the two headed center. This is a solid team. I know you know all this Jordoo, I just don't get why everyone is so down. Mali would have made this team even better, but it is going to be a great year.

orangefog said:

Sorry, meant center.

I know it's not popular to express even the slightest bit of concern or frustration.

Enjoy the successes.

Sorry, meant center.

I know it's not popular to express even the slightest bit of concern or frustration.

Enjoy the successes.

Until the 2017 commits start rolling in I'd be more concerned about that season than the coming one (although its probably too early to be overly concerned). I feel like we are in good shape as is for next year right now. Yes it could be better but adding TT to me is more for the 2017/18 season than next. The other guy would be purely for next season and would likely make us a top10 team for the whole run next year.

Day 261 of TT watch...

It's really crazy. How can this kid not pick the Orange. ACC is one the best most high profile leagues. Seton Hall is in Newark NJ. The Dome is a sensational place to play. The kid has excellent facilities to get pumped up for the NBA. We've been getting a lot of players drafted. I just don't get it. Syracuse University is an amazing place. How can you not fall in love with that place the moment you see it? Maybe he thinks he will get more PT with Seton Hall. He hasn't visited Michigan State. I think he should have some faith in his own abilities and try to be the best PF or C in the ACC. Seton Hall is always a mess off the court. He's not going to be 1-and-done with Seton Hall. At least with us he has a chance for some big national exposure. Maybe he's afraid of our high profile team. Or maybe the kid is just slow to commit. I can see that for someone making this decision.

Whatever the reason is, I hope we get this guy.

jordoo said:
Until the 2017 commits start rolling in I'd be more concerned about that season than the coming one (although its probably too early to be overly concerned). I feel like we are in good shape as is for next year right now. Yes it could be better but adding TT to me is more for the 2017/18 season than next. The other guy would be purely for next season and would likely make us a top10 team for the whole run next year.
Both seasons are a concern. We have a nice 8-man rotation right now, but we're playing with fire in terms of possible injuries. Can't overstate that enough. As has been stated many times, TT solves a big depth problem for next year and would give us some experience for the following year when we'll be looking to fill 6-7 scholarships. And that still leaves us at 9-10 players. It is what it is. More drama.

Sorry, meant center.

Enjoy the successes.
I'm sorry, obviously you are entitled to feel any way you choose. I just choose to focus on the positive. I was really hoping Mali was coming back for purely selfish reasons, because I know how much he would mean to this team. But, it looks like he is going to be one more high draft pick for SU, and I see that as a positive.

orangefog said:
I'm sorry, obviously you are entitled to feel any way you choose. I just choose to focus on the positive. I was really hoping Mali was coming back for purely selfish reasons, because I know how much he would mean to this team. But, it looks like he is going to be one more high draft pick for SU, and I see that as a positive.

Sure, plenty of positives. They're not lost on me. I wouldn't be posting here if there weren't a lot of positives over the years. Few of us would.

We'll have a solid team next year. But to overlook some of the concerns is crazy.

Both seasons are a concern. We have a nice 8-man rotation right now, but we're playing with fire in terms of possible injuries. Can't overstate that enough. As has been stated many times, TT solves a big depth problem for next year and would give us some experience for the following year when we'll be looking to fill 6-7 scholarships. And that still leaves us at 9-10 players. It is what it is. More drama.

Very few top teams are going to be able to sustain a major injury and stay a top team. A back end of the rotation player, yes. A starter, possibly depending on which one and the depth at that position. One of their top players, very doubtful.

I do understand that having only 3g,3f,2c on ship does cut things very tight. That said Lydon can play 3 positions and Battle could play some 3 like Mal did last year if necessary so there is some flexibility. If we have a guard injury it will be tough sledding for sure.

How can anyone know this team? We have eight players on the roster, two of which are Seniors in high school, and two who's last collegiate action came in Providence and Colorado State uniforms.
Surely one, especially a HOF coach and his staff, can get a reasonable idea of what to expect from their 5th year transfer guard based on a body of work against D1 competition. These guys are not a complete mystery to our coaching staff. They aren't flying blind here. Do we have a finished product, obviously not, but we have some pretty damn good pieces and understanding their games, even to the limited extent that I do, I am excited at how the pieces will fit together. I think we need more bodies, for at least practices, but a contributor would be even more welcome.

Surely one, especially a HOF coach and his staff, can get a reasonable idea of what to expect from their 5th year transfer guard based on a body of work against D1 competition. These guys are not a complete mystery to our coaching staff. They aren't flying blind here. Do we have a finished product, obviously not, but we have some pretty damn good pieces and understanding their games, even to the limited extent that I do, I am excited at how the pieces will fit together. I think we need more bodies, for at least practices, but a contributor would be even more welcome.

I didn't say we didn't have talent, or that the players individually aren't complete unknowns. But no one's seen how the pieces for together.

Sure, plenty of positives. They're not lost on me. I wouldn't be posting here if there weren't a lot of positives over the years. Few of us would.

We'll have a solid team next year. But to overlook some of the concerns is crazy.
I have concerns. Depth, in my opinion, is the huge concern. Another is having enough D1 guys to provide healthy competition in practice. Some are worried about having another shooter, and I understand that, but I can see the offense flowing differently this year. Not so much four guys on the floor that can shoot the three. We will probably have two, but we will have good ball movement. Our guards can all put it on the floor and get the defense to react, creating opportunities for the other guys.

I didn't say we didn't have talent, or that the players individually aren't complete unknowns. But no one's seen how the pieces for together.
True, but that is the fun of college basketball. Also, the team we see in November won't be the team we see in March. And then we will all be back here in May analyzing the prospects of the 2017-2018 team, rinse, wash, repeat...

How is that different from every other season at Syracuse? A season ending injury to a starter equals fold up the tent and call it a season...

The lack of pure scorers scare me and I can't wrap my head around how Gillon/Chukwu/Battle will be a net gain over G/Cooney/Mal. G was great this year, even if Battle was great for a freshman, he's going to have a difficult time matching that production. We need Lydon to be a top 5 ACC player.

The lack of pure scorers scare me and I can't wrap my head around how Gillon/Chukwu/Battle will be a net gain over G/Cooney/Mal. G was great this year, even if Battle was great for a freshman, he's going to have a difficult time matching that production. We need Lydon to be a top 5 ACC player.
I think it is tough to match those guys, but Lydon's improvement, as well as the improvement of guys like Howard and even Roberson, will make the team pretty solid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom