Taurean Thompson | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

Many other college coaches handle their teams differently from JB. I'm not suggesting that all do, but many [most?] have their fingers on the pulse more than JB chooses to.

JB is a brilliant coach. I'm not knocking him or his style. BUT the tradeoff for being so hands off is that we have an inordinate amount of off-court issues, and many others that haven't gotten reported. The tradeoff is that we get hit by the NCAA twice, whereas many other coaches haven't had that happen once.

Again, not sure how this can be argued.

EDIT--I'm not clamoring for JB to be a Bobby Knight disciplinarian type, for the record. I've just accepted that this is what you occasionally get when you run a loose ship. It is what it is.
Nor was I. I was just saying that you can't cite discipline and our program as being a strength. It's not.

Many other college coaches handle their teams differently from JB. I'm not suggesting that all do, but many [most?] have their fingers on the pulse more than JB chooses to.

JB is a brilliant coach. I'm not knocking him or his style. BUT the tradeoff for being so hands off is that we have an inordinate amount of off-court issues, and many others that haven't gotten reported. The tradeoff is that we get hit by the NCAA twice, whereas many other coaches haven't had that happen once.

Again, not sure how this can be argued.

I totally agree on "not sure how this can be argued". I'm just not sure what "have their fingers on" means. Even if JB called up each player every night asking about drugs and proof read every paper before it was submitted, I not sure it would have made a difference.

There are trade-offs in every way of being. You could argue the opposite side that JB's laissez faire coaching attitude is a big reason why our program has been successful over the years because it creates an environment of personal responsibility. Just look at Brandon Triche for example. There is no doubt in my mind that Brandon Triche was fully responsible and in charge of every facet of his basketball life. He's was an amazing player of outstanding character from diet to weight lifting. I bet Brandon never drank any beverages with caffeine when he was in training.

The drug issue is a problem everywhere. I think drugs will always be a potential problem even for Seton Hall players living at home with their mothers.

Again, I think the AD department should be responsible for policing NCAA violations since they apply to all NCAA sports at the school. I really don't buy into the JB should have been God argument and somehow stepped in to prevent the violations from happening. He certainly did not step in and prevent it when it came to the University self-reporting.

Nor was I. I was just saying that you can't cite discipline and our program as being a strength. It's not.

If a player is that sorely needing of discipline there's always military school. At least that's what my father would threaten me with all through High School with something about "ship off to".

If a player is that sorely needing of discipline there's always military school. At least that's what my father would threaten me with all through High School with something about "ship off to".

TT is already away from home at a Prep school.
Not military school - but definitely not Fast Times at Ridgemont High either. :cool:

Getting this kinda/sorta back on track -
does anybody else get the feeling that we'll probably get a 2017 commit before TT finally decides where he's going?

I can't imagine it being June and not knowing where I'll be attending college yet. :noidea:

Agree with dasher here. Some parents are going to be scared off by some of this. The drug testing issues they were slapped with are a prime example.

Loose ship sinks 'ships.

As dasher and RF2044 said, JB has a very long leash. Indisputable. That doesn't mean he doesn't give his players guidance. Ultimately though, it's his belief that's he's their basketball coach, not their life coach and definitely not their warden.

TT is already away from home at a Prep school.
Not military school - but definitely not Fast Times at Ridgemont High either. :cool:

Getting this kinda/sorta back on track -
does anybody else get the feeling that we'll probably get a 2017 commit before TT finally decides where he's going?

I can't imagine it being June and not knowing where I'll be attending college yet. :noidea:
My unborn kid is likely to make a college decision before TT at this point.

No matter where this kid ends up, mom is going to be an issue...but she's going to be a huge issue if she can get to practice every day at Seton Hall.

I think if he came to SU, he'd probably play less than 20 minutes per game. And if that is the case, he'd be a transfer candidate due to this situation with the mother. May be best to not even bother at this point, even though I think he'd be a very good replacement for Roberson or Lydon in '17-18.

SUFan44 said:
I think if he came to SU, he'd probably play less than 20 minutes per game. And if that is the case, he'd be a transfer candidate due to this situation with the mother. May be best to not even bother at this point, even though I think he'd be a very good replacement for Roberson or Lydon in '17-18.

He's not playing more than that just about anywhere at this point.

I disagree. If he plays really well he will get more PT. That's the way JB rolls. He has to win the position to get PT. That's true at any school. Why play for Seton Hall when he can play in the ACC? The real hump is getting over the mother's desire for him to be close to home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom