Team Just Looks Better w Long... | Syracusefan.com

Team Just Looks Better w Long...

TBCuse11

Starter
I know there are tons and tons of Hunt supporters here, due to loyalty or some other reason... but you just cant watch the team with Long and not realize that we are better with him. My issue with Hunt from day 1 is that he simply can not throw a football. This has never changed, and it never will. Long gives us a vertical game, and thats with our best weapons (although Ishmael is proving to be our first potential stud in a decade) out while has has been at the helm.

I really hope we dont ever put Hunt back in. I fear we will waste another season next year and put him back in the starting role. With our defense, RB core, and with Ishmael/Estime/Broyld, i think we can be an 8 or 9 win team with Long at qb in 2015. I hope he gets his chance.

He's a gamer. Not a kid that you're going to see throw for 450 yards at this point in his career and not as elusive as Hunt, but, he is the type of guy that makes things happen.. Some guys have an ability to freelance, AJ is one of them, I don't know after 18 or so games if Terrell was.

I'm of the opinion that at this point we need to build for the future with this core of young guys. They all seem more than capable of playing this game at a high level. I just wish AJ had a touch more arm strength. This will come with time though. He's got a really good opportunity in front of him. The next 4 or so games are his "job interview" and if he continues to develop I don't know how you can't make the change as a coaching staff.

Loyalty has a place, I don't know that it comes at the detrament of the team.

that being said, i dont see how Hunt gets another snap at QB. Nor have I seen anyone on the board saying anything like that.

We seem to go through this every year and I'm not sure why the expectation is that the back-ups are always better than the current starters. Why is it all about Long over Hunt and not Ishmael/West getting the ball over Broyld/Estime? I've got nothing against Long and no specific loyalty to Hunt, but I find it amusing how some people can make absolute statements after 6 quarters of football.

Also, before we pencil in 8-9 wins for next year, remember SU loses Crume/Welsh/Robinson/Davis/Lynch/Kelly/Reddish and most likely Eskridge on defense. That's a lot to replace in one year.

He's a gamer. Not a kid that you're going to see throw for 450 yards at this point in his career and not as elusive as Hunt, but, he is the type of guy that makes things happen.. Some guys have an ability to freelance, AJ is one of them, I don't know after 18 or so games if Terrell was.

I'm of the opinion that at this point we need to build for the future with this core of young guys. They all seem more than capable of playing this game at a high level. I just wish AJ had a touch more arm strength. This will come with time though. He's got a really good opportunity in front of him. The next 4 or so games are his "job interview" and if he continues to develop I don't know how you can't make the change as a coaching staff.

Yep...let's see where these two or more games takes us to get a bigger sample size. I like what I see so far but as you said the arm strength and can he sit in the pocket and make his throws with tall guys in his vision. That said, he has had less throws batted down than a much taller Allen did last year.

One of the main issues under McDonald/Hunt was it was obvious we were running 3rd down routes right to the sticks every single time. For whatever reason under Lester/Long this is not the case, we're unafraid to take medium to deep shots on 3rd down without regard to where the sticks are -- this has been a big help. Whether this is on Hunt or on McDonald I'm not quite sure.

I actually think that Hunt was an exceptional freelancer too - just with his feet. But once teams took away his running ability, we we're dead in the water with his accuracy problems and the one or two bad calls a drive between him and McDonald. Long's accuracy is what's setting him apart.

move Hunt to defense or TE. Broyld should have been moved to D too. He's got a LB body.

(same thing was said last year when the backup qb came in)

(literally the exact same thing)
hunt was an improvement over allen

long is an improvement over hunt.

you act like people were wrong last year

i hope the guy after long is better than long, keep it going

the most popular guy is the backup stuff gets a little old. sometimes the backup is better

We seem to go through this every year and I'm not sure why the expectation is that the back-ups are always better than the current starters. Why is it all about Long over Hunt and not Ishmael/West getting the ball over Broyld/Estime? I've got nothing against Long and no specific loyalty to Hunt, but I find it amusing how some people can make absolute statements after 6 quarters of football.

Also, before we pencil in 8-9 wins for next year, remember SU loses Crume/Welsh/Robinson/Davis/Lynch/Kelly/Reddish and most likely Eskridge on defense. That's a lot to replace in one year.

Ive seen Hunt do nothing for long enough. He is a good runner, but a very very poor thrower. The reason he doesnt get sacked alot or have balls batted down is because all our OC can do with him at QB is either a bubble screen or have Hunt make one read and take off. I am confident that Lester can see what needs to be done and will stick with AJ going forward.

Hunt's story is much more compelling than his play on the field ever was. And pushing for Long is not the same as pushing for Allen last year. He was 1 and done. Long has 3 more years ahead of him and can be the real deal.

And as for Estime/Broyld... they are my two favorite players, but if other guys perform better than by all means replace them. They both play the slot though, so one of them will always be on the field and the other WR will all be battling for a spot opposite Ishmael. That guy catches everything.

hunt was an improvement over allen

long is an improvement over hunt.

you act like people were wrong last year

i hope the guy after long is better than long, keep it going

the most popular guy is the backup stuff gets a little old. sometimes the backup is better

i certainly didnt act like anyone was wrong. did you read my 2 posts on this?

I think that there was a multitude of reasons for the lack of success with hunt as a quarterback this year. I think the OC and the play calling did have a big impact on how hunt performed. Maybe the offense was designed around a prostyle quarterback in Allen last year, then when hunt came in he did well because it was more suited for him vs this years. I think Long is very talented and might just have that IT factor that some people just have.

the real difference is the quality of the young players. very often when u go to the bench, there's a drop off in talent. not so now. we're deep and talented

I just checked the posts on this forum from around Sept 16th - Sept 18th of last year. Your point is disturbingly accurate.

And it was true last year.

This year, it is true that AJ brings certain qualities that this team really needs - quickness at the position, accuracy in the short passing game and pass catchability - AJ throws a ball that is simply easier to catch.

He does not have the size or the strength that T. Hunt has and he does not have the experience either, but he does have qualities that appear to add a lot to the offense - at least it seems that way based on a small sample size.

So, yes, it seems that Long is the better choice for this year.

Great start for Long, no doubt, and a lot to like, especially the chemistry with Ishmael, and his ability to roll out and make plays.

When he actually beats teams of the caliber of BC, gets us to a bowl, beats a favored opponent (like Minnesota last season), I will be even more impressed. Not going to the hall of fame based on one running TD and some FGs against Wake.

Was that Long who scored 2 Defensive TD's last game? We scored 16 points on offense. I think he's played well for a True Freshman, but think it's too early to say if he's an upgrade to Hunt IMO. He does throw a better screen pass than Hunt. I believe Hunt has a stronger arm and has been more accurate this year than given credit. He does really struggle with the sideline screen pass, though.

I think Hunt's performance can't be extricated from his ties with GMC as the OC. Will Hunt be better with a different OC? Who knows? We'll have to wait and see if he gets a chance at the offense with Lester calling the plays.

My feeling is the staff was attempting to not burn Longs redshirt year if possible, hence why he was actually our second backup quarterback. After watching each I don't see how Wilson could have been ahead of Long on the depth chart, if for no other reason than to try and protect his redshirt.

way too early to say he is better. There certain things Hunt can do that AJ cant and vice versa. Lester is giving AJ a short play book right now. Easy reads and easy decisions. I will like to see him play with a full playbook. Reason why the coaches are rolling him out on pass plays so he doesnt have to read the whole field, just half. AJ's biggest strengths is his confidence, ability to throw on the run (better than hunt), especially on roll outs. AJ's accuracy is slightly better than Hunt's. But his arms strength is not great and his size will hurt him at times. Teams are gonna start game planning on him to take away his strengths. Teams have already done that vs Hunt and he has still performed. I love Hunt's power running ability and toughness. But Im excited about AJ but I am not ready to say Hunt is done. That kid is a fighter. We shall see folks

Last edited:
Was that Long who scored 2 Defensive TD's last game? We scored 16 points on offense. I think he's played well for a True Freshman, but think it's too early to say if he's an upgrade to Hunt IMO. He does throw a better screen pass than Hunt. I believe Hunt has a stronger arm and has been more accurate this year than given credit. He does really struggle with the sideline screen pass, though.

To me Hunt has been far less accurate than he was last season.

And, he throws a ball that appears to be hard to catch - especially when he throws long passes on a clothesline.

Long is certainly quicker - by a mile - and that makes a difference in my opinion.

AJ is definitely more quicker and more elusive while scrambling. His ability to make a play down the field while scrambling is what I liked when I watched his HS film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom