Tell me again why Patterson hasn't played this year | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Tell me again why Patterson hasn't played this year

Cooney hasnt played so well that he's a lock for the next two years. If Patterson wants to play he needs to be defensive ball hawk and hit more 3s than Cooney. But it starts with defense. Jb will favor defense first. Then smarts, don't be careless, don't make silly mistakes, don't turn the ball over.

However when Cooney hits 14-17 in practice what is a coach to do ? Play the kid who makes a 1/3 of that in practice?

Fwiw, I'm told Cooney is Marius Janulisesque in practice, or lights out for those who don't know who I speak of. But, I agree, defense and mistake free (or less mistakes) are more important from what I understand.

Todd Burgan once said he'd never seen somebody shoot like Janulis... I believe for his career he shot 5-percentage points better than GMac from behind the arc, in far less attempts I'm sure, but, still.

If only Mookie was here ;)

Cooney should transfer to LeMoyne.

Makes two three pointers in four minutes and plays defense. If he transfers its all Boeheims fault. Ridiculous that he hasn't played.
Because we haven't played against a lot of mid major walk ons.

More relevant is the playing time that Roberson got. I thought we would never see him again after his poor showing against GT. Was pretty decent but still lacking strength to finish in traffic. I'm sure the strength and conditioning coach will address that in the off season.

Looking the box score you see the minutes for the forwards were Fair 32, Grant 29, Roberson 9. That's what the play Roberson more crowd was looking for all year. Grant and CJ still get most of the minutes, but they're not playing 40 every night.

He was on track for a 60 Point game - yes, I have wanted to see him get some run, but this is a LOL post !!!

Looking the box score you see the minutes for the forwards were Fair 32, Grant 29, Roberson 9. That's what the play Roberson more crowd was looking for all year. Grant and CJ still get most of the minutes, but they're not playing 40 every night.
Yes, but Roberson did not get any minutes until the game was in hand & Jimmy had prior to that gone w G up front. G will not get it done up front against better foes.

I want to see in a closer game if Jimmy can actually keep CJ to 35 minutes or less & Jerami to 32 minutes or less.

I have my doubts.

I think the quick turnaround combined with the lead had something to do with Roberson getting in the game around the 10 min mark of the 2nd half. Since SU would have 4 days off if they win on Saturday I'm sure CJ and Grant will get 38 each.

Fwiw, I'm told Cooney is Marius Janulisesque in practice, or lights out for those who don't know who I speak of. But, I agree, defense and mistake free (or less mistakes) are more important from what I understand.

Todd Burgan once said he'd never seen somebody shoot like Janulis... I believe for his career he shot 5-percentage points better than GMac from behind the arc, in far less attempts I'm sure, but, still.

If only Mookie was here ;)

I actually compared Cooney to Janulis before the season. I think that's the perfect comparison for Trevor

Yes, but Roberson did not get any minutes until the game was in hand & Jimmy had prior to that gone w G up front. G will not get it done up front against better foes.

I want to see in a closer game if Jimmy can actually keep CJ to 35 minutes or less & Jerami to 32 minutes or less.

I have my doubts.

They have, at the most, 5 games left in the season. Those games will be played over 18 days. Why the need to keep them to 35 and 32, other than you wanting to see it?
If they both happen to be playing in the NBA after that they could be looking at more minutes per game than that.

Last edited:
There is a good argument that both Roberson and Patterson should have played more this year. The opportunity was there for them to get some minutes but it didnt happen. Lets see how next year plays out. Patterson can score that is evident. R is very talented but has a way to go when it comes to playing the back side of the zone. I believe both get some run next year

Clearly he's amazing. But even the best at what they do can be questioned for mistakes. Warren buffet underperformed his five year numbers and he gets questioned and admits mistakes. That's part if being great
Warren Buffet is using his bought political influence to block the Keystone pipeline and increase his railroad fortune.

Warren Buffet is using his bought political influence to block the Keystone pipeline and increase his railroad fortune.
There you go that's the spirit ! And JB should develop his bench more to a. Deal with injuries, b. give his starters fresher legs down the stretch, c. Not scare off top recruits who justifiably think they are good enough to at least see the floor as freshman.

I love Buffet and JB, neither are perfect.

There you go that's the spirit ! And JB should develop his bench more to a. Deal with injuries, b. give his starters fresher legs down the stretch, c. Not scare off top recruits who justifiably think they are good enough to at least see the floor as freshman.

I love Buffet and JB, neither are perfect.
Very few freshman are able to even grasp the fundamentals of Beowolf's zone , let alone be a cog in it's higher level "enigma" manifestation . When it's run at full strength, like yesterday, it can best be compared to a hall of mirrors. That's what be called , " The Hall Of Mirrors Zone".

I think the quick turnaround combined with the lead had something to do with Roberson getting in the game around the 10 min mark of the 2nd half. Since SU would have 4 days off if they win on Saturday I'm sure CJ and Grant will get 38 each.
Agreed that we probably will not see Roberson in a tight game unless of injuries. I'm glad he got a decent taste of the experience.

i think i could have made a couple 3s against the western michigan walkons, think boeheim will give me some run against dayton??

True. But we haven't had many 20+ wins this year, where JB is comfortable substituting liberally.

Unlike GT, Roberson made the most of his minutes yesterday. Hope that is something that inspires JB to use him a bit more moving forward.

They have, at the most, 5 games left in the season. Those games will be played over 18 days. Why the need to keep them to 35 and 32, other than you wanting to see it?
If they both happen to be playing in the NBA after that they could be looking at more minutes per game than that.
Haven't you seen enough to know that when CJ plays 40 MPG he is dog tired by the middle of the 2nd half & not at his best. I have said before & I say again, back injuries are funny. If you overdue it the injury/pain risk increases substantially. I have back issues myself, and I know you can be fine up to a point & then the pain can come on fast if I overdo something. I am no doc, but my instincts say around 30 MPG would be right to keep Jerami healthy and rested. One strain & we are done.

I haven't seen any practices, but if yesterday was a glimpse behind the curtain, Roberson is struggling to understand the slides along the back. He come out high and doesn't dive back when the ball goes the high post for example. The kid got some man sized rebounds though yesterday. He will take a big leap forward this offseason. It can't be said often enough that the NCAA eligibility crew really set him back by not clearing him earlier. The Canada trip would have really helped Roberson. All in all I thought he should have gotten 5 to 8 minutes in most games.

I haven't seen any practices, but if yesterday was a glimpse behind the curtain, Roberson is struggling to understand the slides along the back. He come out high and doesn't dive back when the ball goes the high post for example. The kid got some man sized rebounds though yesterday. He will take a big leap forward this offseason. It can't be said often enough that the NCAA eligibility crew really set him back by not clearing him earlier. The Canada trip would have really helped Roberson. All in all I thought he should have gotten 5 to 8 minutes in most games.

Those were huge setbacks--I agree.

Because Grant has a bad back. Anyone with a back issue knows it could flare up at any minute so being cautious with him is a good thing.

True. But we haven't had many 20+ wins this year, where JB is comfortable substituting liberally.

Unlike GT, Roberson made the most of his minutes yesterday. Hope that is something that inspires JB to use him a bit more moving forward.

I look at this thread and see so many different opinions of Roberson. I thought he did fairly well on D yesterday. Seems like you did as well. But others are saying he doesn't get back quickly enough (completely disagree with that as he is actually quicker than CJ most times). I'd love to all sit in a room and compare notes while watching the games.

I wonder if he will be the next controversial player (like Cooney this year before we even got started).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom