Texas A&M officially leaving Big 12 | Syracusefan.com

Texas A&M officially leaving Big 12

wow. they did it, i figured they had till thursday around 5 to do something.

the SEC may just wait till next april to allow before announcing that they gave aTm and someone else the privilege of joining them.

Definitely going to be someone else as well as ATM. FSU, VT? They won't stay at 13 forever!

Megaconferences are back on. Time for the Big Ten and ACC speculation to be back on.

The Big East is effectively dead, all it's going to take is one ACC team to go to the SEC and I think we all can agree that SU is the first call from the ACC to get back to 12.

This could go either way.

If an ACC team goes to the SEC, then the BE is on alert.

If Mizzou goes (no idea how likely/unlikely), then the BE will likely add KU, and KSU.

This could be the one move that really shakes things up and leads to 4 16 team conferences, but if last summer taught us anything, it's that conferences really prefer to do less as opposed to more.

How does this effect the Big East? Anyone know?

SEC takes one or multiple of Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech -> ACC needs to raid the Big East to replace teams -> Big Ten decides whether it wants to add a school like SU for the NY market = death of the Big East when SU, Pitt, UConn, etc. go somewhere else like the ACC ir Big Ten.

Megaconferences are back on. Time for the Big Ten and ACC speculation to be back on.

The Big East is effectively dead, all it's going to take is one ACC team to go to the SEC and I think we all can agree that SU is the first call from the ACC to get back to 12.

Suppose the SEC took WV?

The BE basically replaced WV with TCU and continues on.

Suppose Va Tech joins the SEC, and the ACC grabs UConn?

The BE can survive without UConn.

The BE will survive the loss of any ONE team.

Now if every conference goes to 16, the BE is out of the football business. But we'll end up in either the B10 or the ACC in that scenario. :)

SEC takes one or multiple of Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech -> ACC needs to raid the Big East to replace teams -> Big Ten decides whether it wants to add a school like SU for the NY market = death of the Big East when SU, Pitt, UConn, etc. go somewhere else like the ACC ir Big Ten.

I would hope that BE teams would realize that a football league without FSU and VT is pretty much a basketball only league with nothing but a historic name.

How does this effect the Big East? Anyone know?

my guess is the bevo9 make a run at rutgers.

sombody is going to grab the state university of jersey. UT could fill Giants Stadium. hell, id go.

then adds 2 more, maybe even Syracuse gets a call.

austin already thinks its located in the dc, baltimore, philly, NYC, boston line.

OR the Big East picks up some peices from the former B12, gets a bigger TV deal than the ACC and takes a big step forward while the B12 is dead and the ACC falls apart. ACC football - Va Tech, Free Shoes, and Clemson (as well as Miami issues) is worse than the current Big East.

OR the Big East picks up some peices from the former B12, gets a bigger TV deal than the ACC and takes a big step forward while the B12 is dead and the ACC falls apart. ACC football - Va Tech, Free Shoes, and Clemson (as well as Miami issues) is worse than the current Big East.

Why would the ACC fall apart? UNC, Duke, Wake, UVa, and NC State will never leave each other, and Georgia Tech, Maryland, BC, and Miami are not likely to headed anywhere. That's nine teams, there will always be an ACC.

If the ACC comes calling, SU will either go there or the Big Ten. Not even a question. If the Big East joins with the Big 12 remnants, it will be the Big East remnants doing so. Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida, West Virginia, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, TCU, and some add-ons like maybe Houston, SMU, etc.

Pack your bags, abandon ship. Death to the Big East.

I believe when push comes to shove the SEC is going to get NC State as the 14th member as NC State because it is a less successful version of Texas A&M their inclusion would open up another Southeastern state for recruiting and wouldn't shift the power of the SEC East and would be another cannon fodder school for Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, etc, and would allow State to get out of the shadow of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. I believe the Bevo 9 will add BYU, Boise State and SMU, and ACC will have to replace NC State with an outside school. Maybe SU? Maybe WVU? Maybe Rutgers. Remember UConn is still called SueConn by Boston College and many members of the ACC I can tell you the entire conference will not forget now Sen. then AG Blumenthal's lawsuit against the ACC. I believe that will hurt UConn's chances of getting into the ACC.

I believe when push comes to shove the SEC is going to get NC State as the 14th member as NC State because it is a less successful version of Texas A&M their inclusion would open up another Southeastern state for recruiting and wouldn't shift the power of the SEC East and would be another cannon fodder school for Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, etc, and would allow State to get out of the shadow of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. I believe the Bevo 9 will add BYU, Boise State and SMU, and ACC will have to replace NC State with an outside school. Maybe SU? Maybe WVU? Maybe Rutgers. Remember UConn is still called SueConn by Boston College and many members of the ACC I can tell you the entire conference will not forget now Sen. then AG Blumenthal's lawsuit against the ACC. I believe that will hurt UConn's chances of getting into the ACC.

North Carolina legislature would never let that happen, and NC State would bring absolutely nothing to the SEC - no one cares about NC State even in North Carolina.

I would hope that BE teams would realize that a football league without FSU and VT is pretty much a basketball only league with nothing but a historic name.

Isn't that what the Big East is? Except much less stable.

I've gotten all hyped up over and over just to hear the big, fat thud that always follows all this conference realignment speculation...this time, i'm just gonna sit back and whatever happens happens...for the record, however, count me in as someone who hopes this explodes all the conferences and finally moves us toward the so-called mega-conferences.

Why would the ACC fall apart? UNC, Duke, Wake, UVa, and NC State will never leave each other, and Georgia Tech, Maryland, BC, and Miami are not likely to headed anywhere. That's nine teams, there will always be an ACC.

If the ACC comes calling, SU will either go there or the Big Ten. Not even a question. If the Big East joins with the Big 12 remnants, it will be the Big East remnants doing so. Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida, West Virginia, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, TCU, and some add-ons like maybe Houston, SMU, etc.

Pack your bags, abandon ship. Death to the Big East.

That ACC conference doesnt look any better than the BE. Only difference is BE is currently working on a big contract which could potentially end up making the BE much more profitable than the ACC deal.

North Carolina legislature would never let that happen, and NC State would bring absolutely nothing to the SEC - no one cares about NC State even in North Carolina.
I agree nobody cares about NC State except their fan-base within NC, but the legislature isn't going to prevent any school from leaving for another conference unless it would harm another State university. NC State leaving for the SEC wouldn't harm UNC stability and living in NC I know about the jealousy State has of UNC like A&M has with Texas. Why isn't the Texas legislature preventing A&M from leaving? The answer because of $$$$$$$$$ and I will give a little credit for the current Gov. of Texas Rick Perry being an Aggie alum giving his blessing. NC State in SEC would be a hell of a lot richer and while they would never win anything they would be able to recruit NC, SC kids to play in the SEC. The only viable candidates for SEC 14th are Missouri, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, or NC State and MAYBE Oklahoma. The SEC has a de facto agreement not to add new members from states they already have schools in to protect their recruiting advantages. That means no Florida St-Florida, no Georgia Tech-Georgia, no Lousiville-Kentucky, no Clemson-South Carolina. Virginia Tech would probably be the ideal choice, but after the stink Gov. now Sen. Warner pulled to get them into the ACC I believe they are too loyal to the conference. Missouri is holding out for the Big 10 whenever they decide to add 2 teams 1 of them will be Mizzou I believe unless they want a rivalry with Arkansas I don't see them going to the SEC. West Virginia is another school the SEC would look at, but I doubt the Eers fit the SEC's mind when they are expanding. They got great football and basketball support, but I don't see them as the pick before NC State because NC is closer to the other programs. This is just my 2 cents. My order 1. Missouri 2. Va Tech 3.NC State 4. West Virginia . I don't see 1 or 2 going and 3 is iffy at best.

I agree nobody cares about NC State except their fan-base within NC, but the legislature isn't going to prevent any school from leaving for another conference unless it would harm another State university. NC State leaving for the SEC wouldn't harm UNC stability and leaving in NC I know about the jealousy State has of UNC like A&M has with Texas. Why isn't the Texas legislature preventing A&M from leaving? The answer because of $$$$$$$$$ and I will give a little credit for the current Gov. of Texas Rick Perry being an Aggie alum giving his blessing. NC State in SEC would be a hell of a lot richer and while they would never win anything they would be able to recruit NC, SC kids to play in the SEC. The only viable candidates for SEC 14th are Missouri, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, or NC State and MAYBE Oklahoma. The SEC has a de facto agreement not to add new members from states they already have schools in to protect their recruiting advantages. That means no Florida St-Florida, no Georgia Tech-Georgia, no Lousiville-Kentucky, no Clemson-South Carolina. Virginia Tech would probably be the ideal choice, but after the stink Gov. now Sen. Warner pulled to get them into the ACC I believe they are too loyal to the conference. Missouri is holding out for the Big 10 whenever they decide to add 2 teams 1 of them will be Mizzou I believe unless they want a rivalry with Arkansas I don't see them going to the SEC. West Virginia is another school the SEC would look at, but I doubt the Eers fit the SEC's mind when they are expanding. They got great football and basketball support, but I don't see them as the pick before NC State because NC is closer to the other programs. This is just my 2 cents. My order 1. Missouri 2. Va Tech 3.NC State 4. West Virginia . I don't see 1 or 2 going and 3 is iffy at best.

Your assumption that the SEC would have any interest above zero-percent is inaccurate. They'd be somewhere down the list behind VT, FSU, Missouri, Oklahoma/OSU, WVU, Georgia Tech.

At this point the ACC is just as much on the brink as the BE and Big 12 are.

The ACC will have at least 9 teams under even the worst case scenario if the SEC goes to 16 and takes 3 ACC teams. So the ACC worst-case scenario is the same as the Big East is right now, if it doesn't lose a single team.

The Big East can lose SU, Pitt, UConn, Rutgers, WVU. And don't count out TCU going back to the Big 12 if that somehow survives.

The ACC will have at least 9 teams under even the worst case scenario if the SEC goes to 16 and takes 3 ACC teams. So the ACC worst-case scenario is the same as the Big East is right now, if it doesn't lose a single team.

The Big East can lose SU, Pitt, UConn, Rutgers, WVU. And don't count out TCU going back to the Big 12 if that somehow survives.

And which of those 9 teams is going to drive the economic bus called football? If FSU and VT left all of the schools left are medicore at best.

So the question is why would a team like WVU or Pitt want to move their football program from the BE to a league even worse off in regards to football? Especially if the BE TV deal comes through. As unbelievable as it seems the BE is in a better spot right now to ride out the next round of expansion than the ACC is imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom