Texas at Kentucky | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Texas at Kentucky

I wouldn't give up on Wisconsin. While the youngsters on Duke and UK don't play like freshman, it helps to have 4 seniors in your lineup to avoid being rattled.

Good call. I still really like them as well.

I'm pretty sure they want to.

Have you seen Stanley Johnson yet for Arizona? Holy smokes. For a freshman he already looks like a better version of a St. John's Ron Artest. Physical dude. That should be a great game vs Gonzaga.

I swear Bilas, Schulman, everyone have been given strict orders from the mothership to do nothing but sing bigblue praises while on the air. That was a horrendously ugly first half and all you hear is how many amazing platoons there are and how proud of his platoons the squid is.
OMG yes ... the media love for Kentucky is truly disturbing. And not a mention of payroll.

Agreed. Texas was missing their excellent PG. I don't see another team (maybe Arizona) who could hold those guys down to such a low score the way Texas did.

I bet Providence can.

OMG yes ... the media love for Kentucky is truly disturbing. And not a mention of payroll.

Does Kentucky really need to pay players to join them? The second somebody signs with them they're all but guaranteed to have a pro contract waiting for them in a year or two. Their coach does nothing but praise them up and down and the program has many years of success of turning out excellent pro players. I have no beef with how Syracuse does things and am extremely happy and excited about our program, but if you look at our situation then over at Kentucky's, it would actually make more sense for our guys to be on a payroll rather than Kentucky's guys.

Does Kentucky really need to pay players to join them? The second somebody signs with them they're all but guaranteed to have a pro contract waiting for them in a year or two. Their coach does nothing but praise them up and down and the program has many years of success of turning out excellent pro players. I have no beef with how Syracuse does things and am extremely happy and excited about our program, but if you look at our situation then over at Kentucky's, it would actually make more sense for our guys to be on a payroll rather than Kentucky's guys.
I think your questions should be: how did Ky get in this position in the first place (Pay Pal Cal)? Why, the second Pay Pal gets hired, is Ky suddenly getting the best at every position every year (and it's not even close)? What the program's connection to all those rappers and money people? Why is there all this mystery and throngs of "handlers" when Ky comes calling for a recruit? Why would Ky hire a coach ... who is competent, but (lets be honest) not elite in coaching talent, with such a history of NCAA recruiting and program violations (games voided at two most recent coaching stints at Memphis and UMass)?

Those are the questions you should be asking, rather than praising Pay Pal as a great guy.

There's no use comparing Ky to any other legitimate collegiate program .. because the players are obviously not "student athletes". It's an NBA prep school. The kids go to basketweaving 1, 2 and 3 for a couple of months and then they're out playing for money.

Last edited:
I think the question is ... why is Ky in this position? Why do they get the best at every position every year (and it's not even close)? Why are they hooked into the rappers? Why is there all this mystery from handlers when Ky comes calling for a recruit? Why does Ky's coach ... who is competent but (lets be honest) not elite in coaching talent ... have such a history of NCAA recruiting and program violations (games voided at UMass; games voided at Memphis)?

There's no use comparing Ky to any other legitimate collegiate program .. because the players are obviously not "student athletes". It's an NBA prep school. The kids go to basketweaving 1, 2 and 3 for a couple of months and then they're out playing for money.

I really don't want to defend Cal because while I respect him, I don't paticularly like him.

What recruiting violations? Camby took money from agents and Derek Rose's SAT was taken by somebody else. Whether he actually is clean or not, according to the NCAA he is.

Why are they hooked into rappers? Let's see, african american kids love rap music, get Drake to parade around during your Midnight Madness seems like a pretty smart idea.

They get the best of every position because of the reasons you quoted, when you sign a LOI to Kentucky you're pretty much writing a ticket to get a pro contract in the next year or two.

Maybe the players aren't "student athletes", but be fair across the board, which D1 basketball school or football school employs "student athletes".

I get that their are "mysteries" going on at Kentucky, but there are "mysteries" here as well, there are "mysteries" at every school, rumors at every school. But right now until there is actual evidence of wrong doing I don't know what else to say, you can call me wrong, you can call the NCAA wrong, but until there is evidence the only thing that can be done is speculate while they eat up every top 10 recruit in the nation and win games.

I really don't want to defend Cal because while I respect him, I don't paticularly like him.

What recruiting violations? Camby took money from agents and Derek Rose's SAT was taken by somebody else. Whether he actually is clean or not, according to the NCAA he is.

Why are they hooked into rappers? Let's see, african american kids love rap music, get Drake to parade around during your Midnight Madness seems like a pretty smart idea.

They get the best of every position because of the reasons you quoted, when you sign a LOI to Kentucky you're pretty much writing a ticket to get a pro contract in the next year or two.

Maybe the players aren't "student athletes", but be fair across the board, which D1 basketball school or football school employs "student athletes".

I get that their are "mysteries" going on at Kentucky, but there are "mysteries" here as well, there are "mysteries" at every school, rumors at every school. But right now until there is actual evidence of wrong doing I don't know what else to say, you can call me wrong, you can call the NCAA wrong, but until there is evidence the only thing that can be done is speculate while they eat up every top 10 recruit in the nation and win games.
I think you're kidding yourself if you rationalize what's going on at Ky as just a miraculous recruiting phenomenon or Cal's winning personality. No other college program is comparable in any respect.

No there aren't any investigations or sanctions on Ky right now, like there were at Memphis or UMass.

But give it time.

I think you're kidding yourself if you rationalize what's going on at Ky as just a miraculous recruiting phenomenon or Cal's winning personality. No other college program is comparable in any respect.

No there aren't any investigations or sanctions on Ky right now, like there were at Memphis or UMass.

But give it time.

Listen, why wouldn't a recruit NOT want to play for Kentucky? It's not a phenomenon nor miraculous. Every playing signing a LOI wants to end up playing pro ball, what college is the best at getting their players ready to make top dollar going into the league?

As bad as this sounds, but if I'm Dejuan Coleman a few years ago I'm running to Kentucky not even looking at Syracuse for many reasons.

1. Proven track record on getting players to the league after a year or two.
2. Coach who sings my praises, does whatever he can to have me ready to go to the next level.
3. Whether I'm playing 20 minutes or 40, scouts are watching me knowing that I might only play 20 minutes because there is somebody just as good getting the other 20.
4. A championship contender year in and year out.

At Syracuse

1. Outside of Melo, how many superstars has the Cuse brought to the NBA within the past 20 years? Jury is still out on MCW and Waiters.
2. Coach who tells the media over and over how I'm not ready and that it's absurd I'd be on a draft board when I suck as bad as I do.
3. Outside of McCullough and Ennis last year, some freshman are given the back seat to older but less talented players.
4. In the tournament every year, but I wouldn't say a major major contender every year.

I think it's simple that if I was a top 10-20 recruit where I would go and play if I had offers from at least these two schools.

I think your questions should be: how did Ky get in this position in the first place (Pay Pal Cal)? Why, the second Pay Pal gets hired, is Ky suddenly getting the best at every position every year (and it's not even close)? What the program's connection to all those rappers and money people? Why is there all this mystery and throngs of "handlers" when Ky comes calling for a recruit? Why would Ky hire a coach ... who is competent, but (lets be honest) not elite in coaching talent, with such a history of NCAA recruiting and program violations (games voided at two most recent coaching stints at Memphis and UMass)?

Those are the questions you should be asking, rather than praising Pay Pal as a great guy.

Who is elite in your book, if Cal doesn't make the cut? K only? Maybe, maybe Pitino?

Listen, why wouldn't a recruit NOT want to play for Kentucky? It's not a phenomenon nor miraculous. Every playing signing a LOI wants to end up playing pro ball, what college is the best at getting their players ready to make top dollar going into the league?

As bad as this sounds, but if I'm Dejuan Coleman a few years ago I'm running to Kentucky not even looking at Syracuse for many reasons.

2. Coach who sings my praises, does whatever he can to have me ready to go to the next level.
3. Whether I'm playing 20 minutes or 40, scouts are watching me knowing that I might only play 20 minutes because there is somebody just as good getting the other 20.

At Syracuse

1. Outside of Melo, how many superstars has the Cuse brought to the NBA within the past 20 years? Jury is still out on MCW and Waiters.
2. Coach who tells the media over and over how I'm not ready and that it's absurd I'd be on a draft board when I suck as bad as I do.
3. Outside of McCullough and Ennis last year, some freshman are given the back seat to older but less talented players.
4. In the tournament every year, but I wouldn't say a major major contender every year.

I think it's simple that if I was a top 10-20 recruit where I would go and play if I had offers from at least these two schools.

Don't bother trying to convince anybody that Kentucky is an acceptable place to play or Cal is a great coach to play for. Too many people are too far gone to realize this. Don't waste your time. Kentucky is always under the microscope and Fraschilla once said that Cal has the most eyes on him by far in terms of the NCAA.

SoBeCuse said:
Don't bother trying to convince anybody that Kentucky is an acceptable place to play or Cal is a great coach to play for. Too many people are too far gone to realize this. Don't waste your time. Kentucky is always under the microscope and Fraschilla once said that Cal has the most eyes on him by far in terms of the NCAA.

It's strange it even needs to be said, figured it was in black and white.

At Syracuse

You sound like a Ky homer. Since this is an SU forum, I'm not going to waste time pretending that Ky is comparable to any other legitimate D-1 intercollegiate program with actual academic requirements. You have your head in the sand and must be drinking the same blue koolaid they feed to recruits.

When's the last time you heard of any Ky player being on "academic probation". lol. There are no academics because it's D-League.

You sound like a Ky homer. Since this is an SU forum, I'm not going to waste time pretending that Ky is legit in order to make nonsensical comparisons beteen it any other legitimate D-1 intercollegiate program. You have your head in the sand and must be drinking the same blue koolaid they feed to recruits.

Sorry facts cloud your judgement.

Sorry facts cloud your judgement.
I think that's what were trying to tell you. Wake up. Behind all the rappers, bright lights and handlers is a pile of cash and no classes --- did you ever consider that THOSE might be some of the reasons why Cal is so popular? Ky makes UNC look like Harvard.

I think that's what were trying to tell you. Wake up. Behind all the rappers, bright lights and handlers is a pile of cash and no classes --- did you ever consider that THOSE might be some of the reasons why Cal is so popular? Ky makes UNC look like Harvard.

Ok, do you have any evidence? Please post away.

Ok, do you have any evidence? Please post away.
I'll pass, blue. Spent enough time on this. Best of luck to your home team (Ky) this year.

reedny said:
I'll pass, blue. Spent enough time on this. Best of luck to your home team (Ky) this year.

Lol. Didn't think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom