Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Based on what?

I mean if you’re talking strictly dollars that’s not how it’s going to go. UNC is way down in the pecking order. Louisville hasn’t even been mentioned and I could totally see them in the SEC.
Capital One Cup placement, merchandise sales, fanbase size, brand.

Stuff like that.

Even if FSU was poached (where are they going?), I think the ACC would just add UCF and wait it out until the $ gap became too big. So if FSU announces in 2030 that they are leaving end of GOR, you wouldn't see any other movement until the $ gap was too big.

We don't have to worry about any of this for ten years. A lot can change by then. The only way change happens before then is if the conference dissolves. if that happens, it means we have a home.
FSU brand >>> UCF brand.
I think UCF could replace FSU on the field but FSU history makes them more valuable for TV.

If Tulsa had a lot of successful seasons like UCF has had it wouldn’t have more value to TV over Oklahoma or Oklahoma State.

Big Ten or SEC would take UNC first.
I think the SEC would probably prefer VPI to UVA but if they could get UNC would take UVA if they had too.
Big Ten would probably prefer UVA after UNC.
After the ACC expansion when VaTech beat out SU because of Virginia political pressure, I don't think that the state politicos will let Virginia go anywhere without VaTech being attached at the hip.

Just talked about this in my office today.

Anecdotal, but strangely enough..

Florida, UGA x2 and an LSU fan… all, vehemently, want VPI over UVA.

You need to ask them would they rather have UNC/UVA or VA Tech/NC State

1627394796917.png

55 pages and none of you get it.

the SEC is attempting to keep up with the B1G and likely...the B1G is behind all this.

Texas doesnt go to the SEC without 1st asking the B1G.

and despite the fact that theyve basically sucked for a decade (just rename the Alamo Bowl the Longhorn Consolation Bowl already) they are clearly leading lil' bro Okie along on this.

the B1G likely got the call from Austin with the threat that theyd go to the SEC if they didnt take them...and after 1 night of whiskey and cigars, the B1G likely called them back and said...go for it.

a blown up bevo is good for B1G business.

nobody in their right mind would ever leave the B1G out of anything football or sports wise in the future and they know it. they also know that the PAC doesnt take a shlit without 1st calling them and asking permission...(see covid 2020 for those who already forgot).

ive screamed from the mountain tops here, to no avail mind you, that the bevo was useless and would soon be gone...and now it is.

since the BCS in 1998 texas has been to 2 NC games going 1-1 and 0...thats ZERO, Final 4s in the current system. oklahoma has been to 4 BCS title games going 1-3 and when allowed to make the F4, theyve basically been destroyed 4x (the Rose Bowl was a great game). if this is what these schools have done in the last 20+ years, then Syracuse's failures are right in line...

the B1G doesnt need texas, texas needs the B1G. and if they were only coming with oklahoma this made the New World Order easily accomplished. the B1G says no and lets the domino's fall.

after telling texas they needed a night to think about it, that 1st call before a whiskey and halfway through the cigar was to the PAC to say...youre still with us, right? and after confirming that they were now 26 schools strong, they likely called the Rose Bowl on a 3 way and said have we got a deal for you...how about we go back to the old ways and its just the 2 of us playing on Jan 1?? The Rose Bowl then likely invited everyone to a month at Cabo just to celebrate and watch all this shlit show play out.

whats next?...well IMO the B1G likely tells the PAC to take Okie St & the Texas team of their choice...and this is where it gets fun.

IMO: the smart move is for the PAC to grab UNLV and BYU. if BYU says no again, then to hell with them, theyre done, enjoy the new FCS.

some of you maroons are probably saying UNLV?? i am saying...of course UNLV. this all about $$ right and there is nothing more $$ than VEGA$ BABY, VEGA$!! the NHL is there, the NFL is there and goddamnit big time college sports needs to be there. what alumni doesnt want their conference football championship in Vegas? what alumni doesnt want their basketball tournament in Vegas?? sure, theres likely some old assfluck saying i want mine in greensboro blah blah blah. personally, im never going there, im never going to DC, hell...im never going the 15 miles to Brooklyn, put it in Vegas and im booking a flight now. same with the conference football title game, im never going to Charlotte, but put in Vegas and thats a game changer. ive already been to Vegas in December, its lovely. the B1G and the PAC could take turns playing either sport's Championship there if they want. if BYU still says no, after laughing hard, im sure the B1G would tell the PAC to just take another texas school or see if one of the New Mexico's was ready to get their asses kicked for an eternal paycheck, likely at a discount.

the B1G then takes Kansas. it checks a couple of boxes...AAU, great hoop, and a tomato can to get pounded in football. with no bevo conf, the $$ is going up anyway and adding only 1 school like that wont hurt the new paycheck.

if im the ACC, im not calling the SEC, im calling the B1G and telling them we are with them for scheduling and bowls... we got 14 schools the East Coast and ND. throw that in with the West Coast 16 and most of North & Central USA's 15 and then the 3 of them can call the shots in the NWO.

the SEC will get a seat at the table, but it wont be their table.

Capital One Cup placement, merchandise sales, fanbase size, brand.

Stuff like that.

You would think their athletic revenue would be a lot higher then.

I don’t think the brand means as much as it did 20-25 years ago. From a basketball perspective they have been passed nationally. It’s North Carolina’s flagship school sure, but all of those things are not showing up in the numbers.

Someone smart has to explain to me how ACC, if no one gets poached, isn't at least 55mm per year closer to the SEC/Big10 with the dynamic basketball content they have?

I feel like either the SEC/Big numbers are stupidly inflated or whomever that buys the ACC will be getting a screaming deal. I also think if ESPN has the ACC and the SEC then the colleges will start investigating why Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Maryland and South Carolina are getting 90mm per and Clemson is getting 35mm. This will not work long term.

Something is going to shake out here if the numbers are sooo out of whack purely because you were anointed to join a television network (that's what these are, not conferences anymore)
The ACC has no leverage. They are partners with Disney for their network so they can’t just sell their tier 1 to another network like the SEC was with CBS.
The SEC got paid an insane money because Disney didn’t own their tier 1 so they had to overpay to get that from CBS.
Now when the SEC goes back on the market whenever their deal expires they will have history with CBS where they might want to overspend next cycle.
No network is going to do that for the ACC.
Thus the ACC won’t have leverage.

FSU brand >>> UCF brand.
I think UCF could replace FSU on the field but FSU history makes them more valuable for TV.

If Tulsa had a lot of successful seasons like UCF has had it wouldn’t have more value to TV over Oklahoma or Oklahoma State.

Would ESPN reduce the TV contract before it is over? If so, by how much? The future contract will be how much less? It will be less but until that number is significant, no movement happens. UNC/UVA will wait for that moment. They won't jump the minute FSU announces.

Also ESPN might overpay slightly to keep the ACC together for fear of losing UNC/Duke/UAV to FOX.

FSU leaving would not be in a vacuum. And again where are they going?

View attachment 203943

the SEC is attempting to keep up with the B1G and likely...the B1G is behind all this.

and despite the fact that theyve basically sucked for a decade (just rename the Alamo Bowl the Longhorn Consolation Bowl already) they are clearly leading lil' bro Okie along on this.

the B1G likely got the call from Austin with the threat that theyd go to the SEC if they didnt take them...and after 1 night of whiskey and cigars, the B1G likely called them back and said...go for it.

nobody in their right mind would ever leave the B1G out of anything football or sports wise in the future and they know it. they also know that the PAC doesnt take a shlit without 1st calling them and asking permission...(see covid 2020 for those who already forgot).

ive screamed from the mountain tops here, to no avail mind you, that the bevo was useless and would soon be gone...and now it is.

since the BCS in 1998 texas has been to 2 NC games going 1-1 and 0...thats ZERO, Final 4s in the current system. oklahoma has been to 4 BCS title games going 1-3 and when allowed to make the F4, theyve basically been destroyed 4x (the Rose Bowl was a great game). if this is what these schools have done in the last 20+ years, then Syracuse's failures are right in line...

the B1G doesnt need texas, texas needs the B1G. and if they were only coming with oklahoma this made the New World Order easily accomplished. the B1G says no and lets the domino's fall.

after telling texas they needed a night to think about it, that 1st call before a whiskey and halfway through the cigar was to the PAC to say...youre still with us, right? and after confirming that they were now 26 schools strong, they likely called the Rose Bowl on a 3 way and said have we got a deal for you...how about we go back to the old ways and its just the 2 of us playing on Jan 1?? The Rose Bowl then likely invited everyone to a month at Cabo just to celebrate and watch all this shlit show play out.

whats next?...well IMO the B1G likely tells the PAC to take Okie St & the Texas team of their choice...and this is where it gets fun.

IMO: the smart move is for the PAC to grab UNLV and BYU. if BYU says no again, then to hell with them, theyre done, enjoy the new FCS.

some of you maroons are probably saying UNLV?? i am saying...of course UNLV. this all about $$ right and there is nothing more $$ than VEGA$ BABY, VEGA$!! the NHL is there, the NFL is there and goddamnit big time college sports needs to be there. what alumni doesnt want their conference football championship in Vegas? what alumni doesnt want their basketball tournament in Vegas?? sure, theres likely some old assfluck saying i want mine in greensboro blah blah blah. personally, im never going there, im never going to DC, hell...im never going the 15 miles to Brooklyn, put it in Vegas and im booking a flight now. same with the conference football title game, im never going to Charlotte, but put in Vegas and thats a game changer. ive already been to Vegas in December, its lovely. the B1G and the PAC could take turns playing either sport's Championship there if they want. if BYU still says no, after laughing hard, im sure the B1G would tell the PAC to just take another texas school or see if one of the New Mexico's was ready to get their asses kicked for an eternal paycheck, likely at a discount.

the B1G then takes Kansas. it checks a couple of boxes...AAU, great hoop, and a tomato can to get pounded in football. with no bevo conf, the $$ is going up anyway and adding only 1 school like that wont hurt the new paycheck.

if im the ACC, im not calling the SEC, im calling the B1G and telling them we are with them for scheduling and bowls... we got 14 schools the East Coast and ND. throw that in with the West Coast 16 and most of North & Central USA's 15 and then the 3 of them can call the shots in the NWO.

Kaiser you don’t get it. I am sorry but this had everything to do with ESPN.

ESPN now owns the SEC and they wanted to destroy the Big XII because they didn’t want Fox to get Oklahoma and Texas. So it was cheaper for them to do this.
The Big Ten is controlled by Fox.

This stuff is about TV networks now and who controls each conference content.

Would ESPN reduce the TV contract before it is over? If so, by how much? The future contract will be how much less? It will be less but until that number is significant, no movement happens. UNC/UVA will wait for that moment. They won't jump the minute FSU announces.

Also ESPN might overpay slightly to keep the ACC together for fear of losing UNC/Duke/UAV to FOX.

FSU leaving would not be in a vacuum. And again where are they going?
ESPN protected the ACC last time from the Big Ten.
They won’t protect the ACC from the SEC.

We talking product on the court or revenue? Would agree on the first but on the revenue side it's a big gap and the ACC is king followed by the Big 10.

College Basketball Revenue Rankings For Top 55 Programs

Aside from Kentucky, SEC hoops teams are down with the mid majors. Also don't see a ton of potential growth for basketball revenue in SEC country as folks down there simply don't really care. East coast and Midwest by contrast basketball is a big time interest. Bit opposite of recruiting talent wise as well where South has majority of the top prospects vs basketball which is East and North. Makes sense too given kids in the south can play outdoor sports year round vs colder areas where lot of kids play basketball year round.

I was talking product on the court and that eventually bleeding through to revenue. I admittedly didn’t realize the gap was as big as you showed but ultimately the revenues don’t need to surpass or come close to be a hit to the basketball reliant AD’s. A material move in closing the gap is plenty potent to the athletic departments with the massive advantage from football.

My concern if I’m the ACC, and hoping our basketball programs keep us in the race like your initial example, is the much bigger annual payouts to SEC schools that we already know will occur from football lift up their other programs and mean frequent bumps in facilities, recruiting budgets, coaching budgets, school resources to set up NIL opportunities and more that all place an immense amount of pressure on ACC programs to keep up. If they can’t, it will show in their revenue figures as casual cbb fans start to peel off and go elsewhere.

Of course if that happens though the ACC is probably already on life support anyways so it may not be relevant.

They're going to have the lawyers start negotiating an earlier exit now.
Yeah, but that’s an attempt to bypass the GOR not directly defeat it. We had armchair experts espousing that getting rid of a GOR would be fast and forward say, yet everything that’s happened has been aimed and circumventing it.
Again, conferences have GORs & they are there for a reason, because they have teeth. Would it prevent a school from leaving if it wanted to? Probably not. But it’d sure as hell serve as a deterrent and make them think twice.
If things remain as they are & i highly doubt it, in 5 years the ACC will face a similar scenario. They’re on borrowed time so let’s hope this new commissioner has the vision and foresight to save the conference.

View attachment 203943

The Las Vegas market is ripe for the taking and the Pac 12 should be all over it.

If the ACC falls then ESPN loses UNC/UVA/Duke/GA Tech. They could very well lose ND, SU, BC, Pitt, Miami as well. They will be ok with keeping FSU, Clemson, VA Tech, NC State and maybe Louisville in return?

An ACC breakup is bad for the SEC and ESPN.

Honestly, if ND isn’t going to commit to the ACC full member, the conference is likely on borrowed time - Unless the GOR buys enough time for the landscape to calm/shift in our favor.

If that’s the case, and we don’t have any forward thinking chess moves to make, or are able to make, cut them loose. Let them join the B1G or flounder.

I don’t fault ND for doing what they think is right for their school, but if they have no intentions of joining the ACC full member - given the new landscape - why are we helping them?

It’s about preservation and/or pro-active vision now, and into the future. ND giving our conference just the tip does nothing to preserve the conference, or move us forward.

What am I missing? Force their hand.

Kaiser you don’t get it. I am sorry but this had everything to do with ESPN.

ESPN now owns the SEC and they wanted to destroy the Big XII because they didn’t want Fox to get Oklahoma and Texas. So it was cheaper for them to do this.
The Big Ten is controlled by Fox.

This stuff is about TV networks now and who controls each conference content.
if you think texas gives a crap about espn, you are wrong.

they care about texas.

look, i get the House of Mouse is strong and who wouldnt want T & OU, but with NIL, the likely official death of the NCAA, this is all about jockeying for seats at the new table.

the tv $$ will be at the door.

If the ACC falls then ESPN loses UNC/UVA/Duke/GA Tech. They could very well lose ND, SU, BC, Pitt, Miami as well. They will be ok with keeping FSU, Clemson, VA Tech, NC State and maybe Louisville in return?

An ACC breakup is bad for the SEC and ESPN.
which is precisely why the ACC should call the B1G now.

Yes, UNC is the nation's biggest sleeping giant in football. It always has been. For most of UNC football history, the administration has acted to hold football down. That was especially true starting in 1950 (after UNC had been to 3 consecutive New Year's Day bowls) and running until 1967.

Yes, UNC is the most important school in the ACC. ND would be able to make that claim only if it becomes full member in football. The best thing for the ACC about UNC is that in most ways, UNC is the anti-Texas. Texas did little to nothing to save the SWC and cared nothing that half the members lost Major Conference status when the SWC died. Texas has done next to nothing to save the Big 12 and cares nada about the 8 left behind. UNC, in contrast, has always fought tooth and nail to advance the ACC and protect each of its members from being left behind. Both BT and SEC fans make fun of the ACC, and usually attack UNC, for keeping teeny tiny Wake.

The bad part about UNC is that its refusal to maximize its football has meant that ACC football has been held back, which has kept the league from maximizing its earning potential, which means it at times becomes shaky. I think the UNC administration finally has learned the lesson. Either UNC goes all in for Big Time football, or the ACC almost certainly gets gored.

UNC would require both UVA (The South's Oldest Rivalry) and Dook to go anywhere. UNC almost certainly also would demand another 3 or ACC schools, trying to save as many as possible. My advice would be to leave NCSU as far behind as possible. I respect UVA and Dook as hated rivals. I see NCSU as worthless trash, fans worse than even Maryland and SoCar fans.
I live in Charlotte and see hardly any UNC paraphernalia. Mostly see Clemson then NC State.

Reactions: gbo
Yes, UNC is the nation's biggest sleeping giant in football. It always has been. For most of UNC football history, the administration has acted to hold football down. That was especially true starting in 1950 (after UNC had been to 3 consecutive New Year's Day bowls) and running until 1967.

Yes, UNC is the most important school in the ACC. ND would be able to make that claim only if it becomes full member in football. The best thing for the ACC about UNC is that in most ways, UNC is the anti-Texas. Texas did little to nothing to save the SWC and cared nothing that half the members lost Major Conference status when the SWC died. Texas has done next to nothing to save the Big 12 and cares nada about the 8 left behind. UNC, in contrast, has always fought tooth and nail to advance the ACC and protect each of its members from being left behind. Both BT and SEC fans make fun of the ACC, and usually attack UNC, for keeping teeny tiny Wake.

The bad part about UNC is that its refusal to maximize its football has meant that ACC football has been held back, which has kept the league from maximizing its earning potential, which means it at times becomes shaky. I think the UNC administration finally has learned the lesson. Either UNC goes all in for Big Time football, or the ACC almost certainly gets gored.

UNC would require both UVA (The South's Oldest Rivalry) and Dook to go anywhere. UNC almost certainly also would demand another 3 or ACC schools, trying to save as many as possible. My advice would be to leave NCSU as far behind as possible. I respect UVA and Dook as hated rivals. I see NCSU as worthless trash, fans worse than even Maryland and SoCar fans.
Thank you that has always been my problem with the past Commissioner. When he was adding teams, they needed to convince everyone including UNC to go all in on football. When they made the first raid on the Big East they should have taken, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, and West Virginia, along with Miami, Virginia Tech, and BC.
This would have cut off the Big 10 from NJ. and NY, probably would have kept Maryland, and forced ESPN to pay the right amount of money to keep the ACC.

After the ACC expansion when VaTech beat out SU because of Virginia political pressure, I don't think that the state politicos will let Virginia go anywhere without VaTech being attached at the hip.

Nope. Different times, and a way different legislature.

That being said I'm with Scooch this is way overdone.

Was in Charlottesville recently, that is beltbuckle ACC land. Tell those people their closest road game is in Columbus, OH and a conference tournament in Indy.

Just talked about this in my office today.

Anecdotal, but strangely enough..

Florida, UGA x2 and an LSU fan… all, vehemently, want VPI over UVA.

This is why UVA and UNC to the B1G makes too much sense and VT and (NCSU/FSU/Clemson) make too much sense for the SEC.

I expect we'll be back in the Big East in the next 5 years.

Also if FSU left, UNC/UVA would wait out ND, who isn't going to join a conference until forced to. If they have to take a $5M loss per year with FSU leaving, they will hold out hope that ND one day joining the ACC will fix it and then some.

Neither UNC nor UVA are in the FB arms race. They will wait things out until they cannot. The biggest threat would be FSU leaving, Dabo or Clemson leaving, and NIL not helping Miami turn back into the U. FSU alone isn't going to change things.

Honestly, if ND isn’t going to commit to the ACC full member, the conference is likely on borrowed time - Unless the GOR buys enough time for the landscape to calm/shift in our favor.

If that’s the case, and we don’t have any forward thinking chess moves to make, or are able to make, cut them loose. Let them join the B1G or flounder.

I don’t fault ND for doing what they think is right for their school, but if they have no intentions of joining the ACC full member - given the new landscape - why are we helping them?

It’s about preservation and/or pro-active vision now, and into the future. ND giving our conference just the tip does nothing to preserve the conference, or move us forward.

What am I missing? Force their hand.
Because of the signed ND/ACC contracts and because without ND, the ACC is dead man walking..

ND has complied with every word of every contract with the ACC.

If the ACC unilaterally violates those contracts without legal cause (and there is none), ND will file easily winnable breach of contract lawsuits against the ACC.

After the ACC gets done paying ND damages, then what?

It will be without ND and DOA. It will not be in a better situation, instead much worse.

The ACC has no good options right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom