Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Yeah, if only there was a way to renegotiate

The ACC could add WVU and Cincy. That is a change in membership which would re-open the contract.

I am not sure that a new ACC deal that includes ND would be better than ND can do with Fighting Irish TV and a new TV deal in 2025.

That is not even including the trauma to ND of jettisoning independence for that new ACC deal.

More like

1627411956681.png

There is a contract look-in this year. Let's see what comes of it.
Not enough to make up for ESPN trying to destroy, 2 conference's. There is nothing to save the Big 12 or ACC. That ship has sailed.

Yes, UNC is the nation's biggest sleeping giant in football. It always has been. For most of UNC football history, the administration has acted to hold football down. That was especially true starting in 1950 (after UNC had been to 3 consecutive New Year's Day bowls) and running until 1967.

Yes, UNC is the most important school in the ACC. ND would be able to make that claim only if it becomes full member in football. The best thing for the ACC about UNC is that in most ways, UNC is the anti-Texas. Texas did little to nothing to save the SWC and cared nothing that half the members lost Major Conference status when the SWC died. Texas has done next to nothing to save the Big 12 and cares nada about the 8 left behind. UNC, in contrast, has always fought tooth and nail to advance the ACC and protect each of its members from being left behind. Both BT and SEC fans make fun of the ACC, and usually attack UNC, for keeping teeny tiny Wake.

The bad part about UNC is that its refusal to maximize its football has meant that ACC football has been held back, which has kept the league from maximizing its earning potential, which means it at times becomes shaky. I think the UNC administration finally has learned the lesson. Either UNC goes all in for Big Time football, or the ACC almost certainly gets gored.

UNC would require both UVA (The South's Oldest Rivalry) and Dook to go anywhere. UNC almost certainly also would demand another 3 or ACC schools, trying to save as many as possible. My advice would be to leave NCSU as far behind as possible. I respect UVA and Dook as hated rivals. I see NCSU as worthless trash, fans worse than even Maryland and SoCar fans.
This is without a doubt the funniest thing I have read in this thread...

This is without a doubt the funniest thing I have read in this thread...
I imagine Clemson fans want a seat in a bigger, more secure conference?

There is a contract look-in this year. Let's see what comes of it.
That's interesting...nice nugget of info right there. Since 2015 the SEC has been champion 4 times(runnerup 3 times), the ACC 2 times(runner up 2 times)and the BIG10 and Big12 0 times, theBIG10 runnerup 1 time. PAC 0 and 0. ND 0 and 0 during the same period.

Texas cares about Disney. They have the LHN with ESPN.
There is a reason the Longhorns went to the SEC because they are also aligned with ESPN.
LHN is dead.

Texas will always get the $$.

they dont need espn, espn needs them.

I imagine Clemson fans want a seat in a bigger, more secure conference?
Yes but a lot of us just want to do away with the "good ole boy" system in the conference. I'm not sure if we can ever get to that with the seismic shift that is happening but most want to stay.

WoadBlue has obviously been on a continuous bender since this thread started but UNC has been the problem with the ACC.

Swofford (UNC) waited until all the other conferences had networks before finally displaying ours. He continuously negotiated bad tv contracts that were undervalued and for extended periods. Focused more on basketball when everyone in the world knew that football revenue generation was the future. Kept Raycom Sports, which seems like it still uses equipment from the 80s as a partner. I could go on but what's the point. What's done is done.

We are in this situation not because UNC is the "anti-Texas" but because they are the east coast version...

I have this crazy feeling that the PAC-12 and ACC are going to do some sort of a bicoastal alliance to basically just try to take over the massive coastal markets. I don't know that it would work, or what it would look like, but I just have a feeling.
i already layed it out for you.

the key to independence is the B1G.

the PAC is protected, the ACC is protected as long as it has ND.

FOX has $$. CBS has $$. NBC has $$.

keep the alliance with ND, get a schedule and bowl agreement with the B1G and PAC.

ND can find 12 games with Navy, 5 mix of the B1G & PAC and 5 of ACC.

Easy. The SEC and Big Ten signed larger, shorter deals than the ACC, then signed even bigger deal after that.

The ACC signed a crappy deal, then locked itself into that crappy deal through 2036.
Does anyone know if Wildhack was at ESPN when the ACC signed that awful deal that has them bound until 2036. How ironic if Wildhack played a part if giving himself and his conference no leverage now that he has changed employers.

ND would change unless it’s forced.
The Big Ten wants the ACC to force the issue.
I want ACC to force the issue just because I am sick of it.
I feel ND at that point would just go to the Big Ten and this would be over.
As an ND fan, I really don't think that ND prefers the Big Ten to the ACC unless the money is crazy different, which it might end up being.

LHN is dead.

Texas will always get the $$.

they dont need espn, espn needs them.

Cmon man.
ESPN and Texas had deal for the LHN thru 2031 and Texas would get 15 million per year.

ESPN controlled Texas here in realignment.

They told them to go the SEC because espn owns the SEC and they wanted to destroy the Big XII and hurt Fox.

Yes but a lot of us just want to do away with the "good ole boy" system in the conference. I'm not sure if we can ever get to that with the seismic shift that is happening but most want to stay.

WoadBlue has obviously been on a continuous bender since this thread started but UNC has been the problem with the ACC.

Swofford (UNC) waited until all the other conferences had networks before finally displaying ours. He continuously negotiated bad tv contracts that were undervalued and for extended periods. Focused more on basketball when everyone in the world knew that football revenue generation was the future. Kept Raycom Sports, which seems like it still uses equipment from the 80s as a partner. I could go on but what's the point. What's done is done.

We are in this situation not because UNC is the "anti-Texas" but because they are the east coast version...

You guys would have to deal with the "good ole boy" system in the SEC as well. You wouldn't move in to that conference sitting at the head of the table. Money aside it's partially what surprises me with UT and OU as well.

ND has many more financial options than ACC teams do, with Fighting Irish TV going to subscriptions next year and its tv deal up in 2025, not 2036.

ND can afford to sit back and wait for the dust to settle.

The worst that can happen is that it joins the Big Ten years down the road, becomes a superconference member and makes $80 million a year in TV/conference money.

ND has zero reason to panic (it won't, it never does) and make any quick moves for less money.

Jack Swarbrick knows all of this. I don't think ND will budge at all.
Huh. Weird. Thought it wasn't about the money. In our many conversations you shared with me the need to be Independent to further the mission of the school.

I'm not confident "Fighting Irish TV" will be a game changer or that you've not maxed out your value to as a single school to a TV network. That's the value of throwing in your lot with other like-minded schools, stronger together. Good to see the other pillar of independence gets thrown out in the fact of $ too. The B1G! I was told never! They really offended you guys.

Money talks, as always. I always knew it to be true, but it's fun to see some ND faithful finally admit it.

Huh. Weird. Thought it wasn't about the money. In our many conversations you shared with me the need to be Independent to further the mission of the school.

I'm not confident "Fighting Irish TV" will be a game changer or that you've not maxed out your value to as a single school to a TV network. That's the value of throwing in your lot with other like-minded schools, stronger together. Good to see the other pillar of independence gets thrown out in the fact of $ too. The B1G! I was told never! They really offended you guys.

Money talks, as always. I always knew it to be true, but it's fun to see some ND faithful finally admit it.
Money is not the main thing about independence. ND has left tens of millions of dollars on the table by being independent.

ND is allowed to maximize its revenues as an independent, whether you like or scoff at the idea or not.

But, you and other ACC fans are asking ND to jettison independence AND make tens of millions less than it can by doing so.

Hmmm...abandon 132 years of independence for $40 million a year or do so for $80 million a year ??

Tough choice.

Do you realize how dumb that would be for ND to do? (Syracuse wouldn't do it, either, if in ND's position)

Do you realize what you are asking ND to do, all to "save" a conference that apparently cannot save itself??

Abandon independence and lock itself into the lowest possible deal and possibly lock itself out of the top tier of football, all rolled into one...???

That is the absolute worst of both worlds for ND, a dumbass combo deal for Jack Swarbrick to make.

P.S. How has throwing in with like minded schools benefitted the ACC????

Last edited:
The ACC could add WVU and Cincy. That is a change in membership which would re-open the contract.

I am not sure that a new ACC deal that includes ND would be better than ND can do with Fighting Irish TV and a new TV deal in 2025.

That is not even including the trauma to ND of jettisoning independence for that new ACC deal.
Um, yeah. I don't think FITV is a long term solution. People are already tired of paying for subs.

You know adding those schools wouldn't provide enough value on their own; we'd joy be diving up a slightly larger pie amongst more teams. I'm pretty confident the ACC + ND + ESPN would get you guys more money than FITV + NBC. They could throw in a FITV content package to run on the ACC Network every Sunday for some extra money.

(Adding WVU and ND would be sizable. My crazy thought of the day, I still think PSU isn't totally out of the question. They have had some misgivings about the B1G here or there.)

As for the trauma, spare me. Try having to play in the BE with USF

Money does matter. But up to this point our decision for independence was not tied to earning more TV money. But like Terry stated, if we are going to lose our independence any way, then go big. I would take the SEC over the Big 10 though. Might as well fight the best.

Um, yeah. I don't think FITV is a long term solution. People are already tired of paying for subs.

You know adding those schools wouldn't provide enough value on their own; we'd joy be diving up a slightly larger pie amongst more teams. I'm pretty confident the ACC + ND + ESPN would get you guys more money than FITV + NBC. They could throw in a FITV content package to run on the ACC Network every Sunday for some extra money.

(Adding WVU and ND would be sizable. My crazy thought of the day, I still think PSU isn't totally out of the question. They have had some misgivings about the B1G here or there.)

As for the trauma, spare me. Try having to play in the BE with USF
That was your trauma, not ND's.

I am interested in ND avoiding that trauma.

A 2003 decision by the Big East has nothing at all to do with what you are asking ND to do today.

College presidents need to keep the football playoff at four teams. That will help ND think about a conference affiliation. Playing additional games is too much to ask college athletes. Rosters aren’t big enough and players are thinking about combines and getting ready for the NFL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom