Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Notre Dame last year was the 1st team they played in the regular season that was ranked in the top 15 since 2017. They are loaded but yeeeeeesh.
Miami was 7th and ND was 4th when they played them in 2020

Texas A&M was 12th in 2019

2018 was rough

Miami was 7th and ND was 4th when they played them in 2020

Texas A&M was 12th in 2019

2018 was rough
Ah, the schedule that comes up on google must update it to where those teams finished and not where they were at the time. Guess it's nearly as bad that no team finished top 15.

Ah, the schedule that comes up on google must update it to where those teams finished and not where they were at the time. Guess it's nearly as bad that no team finished top 15.
The Miami team Clemson played in the 2017 ACC title game was top 10 as well and was a good team.

Clemson kinda doesn’t need tough schedules anymore because of their perception.
I also think that Alabama’s schedules have been a little SEC overrated. They play LSU every year which is their really tough game but the Mississippi schools, Tennessee, Arkansas make up half of their conference schedule every year.
They don’t have to play Georgia or Florida every year in the regular season.
The SEC is legit no doubt but they get a reputation that all the schools are tough I think Auburn and Texas A&M have been overrated for years now. Obviously they were good last year in A&M and 2018 Auburn but those teams get ranked high every year and don’t really show they are elite contenders.

The SEC is the best conference because of Alabama, LSU, Florida and Georgia.

It is amazing that over 16 seasons they won the Coastal Divisions ONE freaking time. That is the weaker division too. They have been 3rd place or worse 11 out of the 16 years! The U is dead. This is Miami.
Yep. And the notion that the ACC hasn’t been focused on football during expansion is false.

While they didn’t necessarily set our to add VaTech in 2003, that pivot certainly helped football far more than hoops.

I’ve told this tale here before, but the addition of Pitt in 2011 was entirely a football driven move. The ACC would have added UConn if they solely prioritized hoops, but the football-dominant schools did not want UConn. They preferred adding Pitt for their football history and access to recruit-rich western PA.

And the conference made a similar choice two years later when they took Louisville. Since hoops was largely a wash, they chose the upside of UL football over the dead-end UConn football program.

The ACC added Miami 18 years ago to address football. It's not the ACC's fault that Miami subsequently allowed their football program to curl up and die.

Them and Virginia Tech. And believe it or not VPI has actually been worse. VPI hasn't cracked the AP top 10 since 2011. 99-05 they were in the top 10 at least one week in each year and multiple weeks in most.

ACC bought Miami and VPI high.

Yep. And the notion that the ACC hasn’t been focused on football during expansion is false.

While they didn’t necessarily set our to add VaTech in 2003, that pivot certainly helped football far more than hoops.

I’ve told this tale here before, but the addition of Pitt in 2011 was entirely a football driven move. The ACC would have added UConn if they solely prioritized hoops, but the football-dominant schools did not want UConn. They preferred adding Pitt for their football history and access to recruit-rich western PA.

And the conference made a similar choice two years later when they took Louisville. Since hoops was largely a wash, they chose the upside of UL football over the dead-end UConn football program.

Agreed - The ACC has by far primarily been focused on football during expansion.

Even though the Pitt and Syracuse football programs were down when they were invited, it definitely was done with football in mind. And Louisville absolutely was with football in mind.

Agreed - The ACC has by far primarily been focused on football during expansion.

Even though the Pitt and Syracuse football programs were down when they were invited, it definitely was done with football in mind. And Louisville absolutely was with football in mind.
We’ll always have that one Lamar vs Deshaun game.

Them and Virginia Tech. And believe it or not VPI has actually been worse. VPI hasn't cracked the AP top 10 since 2011. 99-05 they were in the top 10 at least one week in each year and multiple weeks in most.

ACC bought Miami and VPI high.
VA Tech started off really well:

ACC Champs in 2004
1st in Coastal 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011
2nd in Coastal 2006, 2009

Then starting the year before SU was to join the ACC (coincidence?):

1st in Coastal 2016
2nd in Coastal 2017, 2019
3rd in Coastal 2013
4th in Coastal 2012
5th in Coastal 2015, 2018
6th in Coastal 2014

I think they just got scared of us.

Problem for the ACC is if it loses just one important school…. FSU or Clemson (or ND commits to b10) the conference then becomes the old BE. That’s why all of this is concerning. The b10 or SEC could lose their best school and still be a powerful conference. The ACC can’t and it means the conference is treading on thin ice. Nobody is going to care about the ACC without Clemson in it especially.
ND will never go to the Big 10. Not in your l Iifetime. Never.

There is a contract look-in this year. Let's see what comes of it.
Surprised Supps note here did not spur more discussion. To me this seems pretty relevant. Certainly it depends on what the "mechanics " of the "look in" entail but there could be an opportunity to calibrate numbers more favorably to the ACC.

Yes they will
You make these statements and don’t give any substance to your opinions.

If you are going to give an opinion atleast give something to
Support it.
Or I will just say you are wrong like you say yes they will.

I was starting to forget about ND. Really was. All this realignment crap coming back brings back all the bile I used to feel about them.

Starting with the Tim Brown Heisman steal.

They are Baylor but with a greater degree of hypocrisy.

I’d rather have WVU or frankly Nova move up to D1 than have to listen to their horses***. Bunch of holier than thou s.

Let them rot in their insular, flat earth independence.

OK that's fair. ESPN owns the ACC 100% at a very good price through 2035. The ACC owns ND sports other than football through 2035. The ACC owns the contractual rights to 5 games with ND through 2035. ND is contractual obligated to join the ACC if it joins a conference through 2035.
So with that as a foundation what would be the business reason for ESPN to allow the disminishment of a content rich, eyeball rich geographic region that's population base is projected to grow exponentially between now and 2035.
Simply put why would ESPN allow an asset which they control 100% to be picked apart.
Is it now clear for you.

I was starting to forget about ND. Really was. All this realignment crap coming back brings back all the bile I used to feel about them.

I’d rather have WVU or frankly Nova move up to D1 than have to listen to their horses***. Bunch of holier than thou s.

The real steal was Paul Hornung winning the Heisman on a terrible team.

The ACC added Miami 18 years ago to address football. It's not the ACC's fault that Miami subsequently allowed their football program to curl up and die.
It seems like deemphasizing football was Donna Shalala’s plan to help improve the academic perception of Miami. It seems to have worked, but Miami has never lost fewer than 3 games since joining the ACC.

My only hope would be that legislation could save a P5 type arrangement(with parity), but I find it highly unlikely that a Michigan, Texas, Alabama, would want any portion of their revenue going to a private school like SU, BC, etc... I would absolutely bet against that. A P2 with the $$ schools (and $$ only), seems the eventual outcome. "Maybe" the SEC and B10 agree on having a few tomato cans in each division for geographical coverage, but I'm not sure they'll be up for that kind of charity.
And what happens to their brands when they go through a stretch of 4-8 seasons? The reason why these schools are powers is because they beat up on lesser brands. How happy will alumni be for a team that drop offs a cliff? And then they become dead weight.

Cool story. Go ahead and give WVU and Villanova a call and good luck to you.

OK that's fair. ESPN owns the ACC 100% at a very good price through 2035. The ACC owns ND sports other than football through 2035. The ACC owns the contractual rights to 5 games with ND through 2035. ND is contractual obligated to join the ACC if it joins a conference through 2035.
So with that as a foundation what would be the business reason for ESPN to allow the disminishment of a content rich, eyeball rich geographic region that's population base is projected to grow exponentially between now and 2035.
Simply put why would ESPN allow an asset which they control 100% to be picked apart.
Is it now clear for you.
The ACC doesn’t control 5 ND games.
They schedule 5 games for ND with ACC opponents.
NBC controls the ND home games either 2 or 3 per season.
The Clemson-Notre Dame game which was the highest rated regular season game last year was on NBC last year not ESPN or ABC.

ESPN would allow an asset they control 100% to be picked apart by another asset they control 100% because in the end they would not have pay asset market rate if the other asset becomes less valuable.

ESPN isn’t going to tell the SEC to back off the ACC if the ACC schools could be poached.
The benefit the ACC has is that none of their members are appealing to the SEC except UNC/UVA/VPI.

The SEC isn’t interested in the ACC teams already in an SEC state.
ESPN isn’t going to save the ACC from the SEC it’s just the SEC isn’t going to be interested in ACC teams.

The ACC has some security for now but the conference is clearly 3rd by a long distance from either the SEC or Big Ten.

Is it now clear for you.
I believe you are wrong about the Notre Dame/ACC football games. Notre Dame is contractually required to play 5 ACC schools per year, BUT, the media rights to those games are controlled by the home team. Thus, in some years, ND has 3 ACC home games or 2 ACC home games in a given year which are part of ND’s NBC contract.

As for why ESPN would pick apart an asset they controlled 100%, they would do it if it made business sense. If they could cut half of the ACC schools and pay the remainder 50% more and they provide enough content, that is a huge cost savings.

The ACC doesn’t control 5 ND games.
They schedule 5 games for ND with ACC opponents.
NBC controls the ND home games either 2 or 3 per season.
The Clemson-Notre Dame game which was the highest rated regular season game last year was on NBC last year not ESPN or ABC.

ESPN would allow an asset they control 100% to be picked apart by another asset they control 100% because in the end they would not have pay asset market rate if the other asset becomes less valuable.

ESPN isn’t going to tell the SEC to back off the ACC if the ACC schools could be poached.
The benefit the ACC has is that none of their members are appealing to the SEC except UNC/UVA/VPI.

The SEC isn’t interested in the ACC teams already in an SEC state.
ESPN isn’t going to save the ACC from the SEC it’s just the SEC isn’t going to be interested in ACC teams.

The ACC has some security for now but the conference is clearly 3rd by a long distance from either the SEC or Big Ten.
I'm not arguing the fact that the ACC is third. My point is simply that the ACC is safe for the foreseeable future.

You don’t get it ESPN told Texas what to do.
They owned them till 2031.
The Big XII folding doesn’t help the Big Ten.
How on gods green earth does it not??

a useless conf that snuck okie into 3 Final 4s playing an inferior schedule is over.

texas and Okie now have to go through Bama and Georgia and Florida and whatever SEC dujuor to get there and they don’t.

they didn’t play last year and managed to put a 6 win team in the F4.

that is power.

if espn is telling texas what to do, then they are in deep shlit.

we will all find out soon enough.

texas is too ‘hoity toity’ for the SEC, something is rotten in the state of austin.

the B1G won this round.

I believe you are wrong about the Notre Dame/ACC football games. Notre Dame is contractually required to play 5 ACC schools per year, BUT, the media rights to those games are controlled by the home team. Thus, in some years, ND has 3 ACC home games or 2 ACC home games in a given year which are part of ND’s NBC contract.

As for why ESPN would pick apart an asset they controlled 100%, they would do it if it made business sense. If they could cut half of the ACC schools and pay the remainder 50% more and they provide enough content, that is a huge cost savings.
They can't and I shouldn't have to explain why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom