Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Can we all just vote the SEC out? And no Hoops for you! I'm half joking, but screw them.

Let them play for the SEC championship. The rest of us? We'll play for the National Championship. Welcome aboard UCF, Cincy, Boise state. I dont care. Any non SEC school, because noone competes in any sport against SEC schools. Let their market dwindle nationally. They have $$. We have #'s.

Yes. Half joking, but I for one would love it, because it saves a TON of schools.
200.gif

Can we all just vote the SEC out? And no Hoops for you! I'm half joking, but screw them.

Let them play for the SEC championship. The rest of us? We'll play for the National Championship. Welcome aboard UCF, Cincy, Boise state. I dont care. Any non SEC school, because noone competes in any sport against SEC schools. Let their market dwindle nationally. They have $$. We have #'s.

Yes. Half joking, but I for one would love it, because it saves a TON of schools.
View attachment 203958
Problem is they would still probably have 6 of the preseason top 10 in the polls every year and everyone would just consider them the champ and then Ohio St can play Clemson for the Bronze essentially.

Problem is they would still probably have 6 of the preseason top 10 in the polls every year and everyone would just consider them the champ and then Ohio St can play Clemson for the Bronze essentially.
Nahh. They aren't in any national preseason top ten. Not in the league. They dont count. Non sec schools have won 1/2 the championshios recently, anyways. Have fun playing with yourself when less people care. Again. Screw them.

The ACC could add WVU and Cincy. That is a change in membership which would re-open the contract.

I am not sure that a new ACC deal that includes ND would be better than ND can do with Fighting Irish TV and a new TV deal in 2025.

That is not even including the trauma to ND of jettisoning independence for that new ACC deal.
Oh dear , please don’t traumatize poor ND

Yes but a lot of us just want to do away with the "good ole boy" system in the conference. I'm not sure if we can ever get to that with the seismic shift that is happening but most want to stay.

WoadBlue has obviously been on a continuous bender since this thread started but UNC has been the problem with the ACC.

Swofford (UNC) waited until all the other conferences had networks before finally displaying ours. He continuously negotiated bad tv contracts that were undervalued and for extended periods. Focused more on basketball when everyone in the world knew that football revenue generation was the future. Kept Raycom Sports, which seems like it still uses equipment from the 80s as a partner. I could go on but what's the point. What's done is done.

We are in this situation not because UNC is the "anti-Texas" but because they are the east coast version...
Wish I could like this many times, that is the problem with this conference in a nutshell. Spent to much time worrying about basketball, when the Big10, and SEC knew the Big money was in football.

Haven't read it yet but how did this thread get this far without him?
Frank the Tank is a Big Ten stooge and is not even close to fair or accurate it what he says.
Don’t have an interest in his pro-B1G takes.

Money is not the main thing about independence. ND has left tens of millions of dollars on the table by being independent. Right, that's why I was confused as to why they'd not rush into things unless it was a lot of money?

ND is allowed to maximize its revenues as an independent, whether you like or scoff at the idea or not. We're allowed to do this too, outside of our TV rights. Our TV rights allow us to make a lot more than we would on our own. ND was able to negotiate your own TV rights and it's been pretty amazing until recently. Now you make less.

But, you and other ACC fans are asking ND to jettison independence AND make tens of millions less than it can by doing so. No. We're asking you to join us and make more money together. What if you could join the ACC and make more money than you could on your own and run your FITV? Why is it less?

Hmmm...abandon 132 years of independence for $40 million a year or do so for $80 million a year ?? Yeah, you can throw your lot in with them for the money. That's why I was surprised you'd be for it given our prior conversations?

Tough choice.

Do you realize how dumb that would be for ND to do? (Syracuse wouldn't do it, either, if in ND's position) We jettisoned independence to create a conference that you wanted to play CBB in and was really, really successful until football blew it up. As I've posited before, it might still be here if not for ND's independence.

Do you realize what you are asking ND to do, all to "save" a conference that apparently cannot save itself?? Lol. This makes our position seem weaker than it is.

Abandon independence and lock itself into the lowest possible deal and possibly lock itself out of the top tier of football, all rolled into one...??? Independence means something to you guys but the arguments for it fall flat. It's just nostalgia. "We always did it this way" is weak sauce when there is no substance behind it. I used to get it when it was way more TV $. Did you guys win the conference last year? Have you done what Clemson has done? They managed to do it while in a conference. We're still in the top tier of football. The SEC and B1G have been making for money the whole time Clemson has been at their pinnacle.

That is the absolute worst of both worlds for ND, a dumbass combo deal for Jack Swarbrick to make. Trading a nostalgic mirage for money? Ok.

P.S. How has throwing in with like minded schools benefitted the ACC???? We've negotiated a TV deal that has made the conference and it's members a lot of money. We enjoy seeing the same teams year after year (like playing USC and Navy every year - it had it's charms lol). We have our own network. It's not without it's warts, but generally it beats being UCONN
Whew lot there.

Last edited:
That was your trauma, not ND's.

I am interested in ND avoiding that trauma.

A 2003 decision by the Big East has nothing at all to do with what you are asking ND to do today.
What do you actually lose by not being Independent?! You already play in 5 ACC games a season so it can't be playing against us yearly.

So weird.

Clemson has a lot of actual championships in a time where the SEC is perceived as the best and has had a money advantage, not even a hypothetical

Cmon man.
ESPN and Texas had deal for the LHN thru 2031 and Texas would get 15 million per year.

ESPN controlled Texas here in realignment.

They told them to go the SEC because espn owns the SEC and they wanted to destroy the Big XII and hurt Fox.
i fail to see any way Texas would be controlled in anything.

15 mill a year to them is like $150 to me and you.

Terry just showed us how ND plans to make 10MM more a year than that, Texas should be running from ESPN.

the B1G is about protecting M & OSU. if Wisconsin wins it...cool. Mich St? fine.

not Texas.

they dont need them anymore.

to think Texas put its tail between its legs and put its hand out for the SEC without 1st trying to maximize its winning potential and $$ otherwise is preposterous.

a blown up bevo is good for B1G business.

i dont know what happened, but i think texas is making a mistake.

Wish I could like this many times, that is the problem with this conference in a nutshell. Spent to much time worrying about basketball, when the Big10, and SEC knew the Big money was in football.
The ACC added Miami 18 years ago to address football. It's not the ACC's fault that Miami subsequently allowed their football program to curl up and die.

I keep hearing "the SEC will be ESPN's little NFL" and I think they are missing that the NFL is watchable because:

- It's got teams in almost every market
- It takes cheating seriously and is governed by an empowered entity
- It has a salary cap that evens the talent out, so your regionally relevant team has a reasonable chance to compete
- It has a salary system so players are a part of the money making equation and tend to be properly incentivized

The ACC added Miami 18 years ago to address football. It's not the ACC's fault that Miami subsequently allowed their football program to curl up and die.

It is amazing that over 16 seasons they won the Coastal Divisions ONE freaking time. That is the weaker division too. They have been 3rd place or worse 11 out of the 16 years! The U is dead. This is Miami.

Clemson has a lot of actual championships in a time where the SEC is perceived as the best and has had a money advantage, not even a hypothetical
Clemson has basically got to play 11 warm up games against no one in the top 10 because the conference has been ass since they got great. Doesn't take away from getting it done in the playoffs twice but it would be a whole different world if they had to deal with the non-stop, do or die of the SEC West. Then you manage your way through that and Florida or Georgia is sitting there in the SEC Championship game. Not Clemson's fault that FSU, Miami and VT went from great to barely top 25 in the blink of an eye but it is what it is.

The idea that Texas called the Big Ten and the Big Ten said go to the SEC we dare you is so wrong I can’t believe Kaiser would say that. If Texas would commit to the Big Ten they would’ve taken them in a cocaine heartbeat.
Big Ten wanted Texas any conference wanted Texas.
Texas aligned with the Disney network which is now the SEC. There’s a reason why the ACC thought they had a shot to get Texas with the Notre Dame offer because of ESPN.
I can.

What do you actually lose by not being Independent?! You already play in 5 ACC games a season so it can't be playing against us yearly.

So weird.
First and foremost, ND loses a national schedule that is set up every year by ND, not a conference. ND sees itself as a national Catholic institution, not a regional school. That's one of the reasons it takes one home game on the road in the Shamrock Series, like when ND played SU at Yankee Stadium a few years back. ND likes to play in CA every Thanksgiving Saturday against either Stanford or USC and plays Navy every year to fulfill a promise made to the school. A ten team conference schedule would all but eliminate all of those opportunities.

Clemson has basically got to play 11 warm up games against no one in the top 10 because the conference has been ass since they got great. Doesn't take away from getting it done in the playoffs twice but it would be a whole different world if they had to deal with the non-stop, do or die of the SEC West. Then you manage your way through that and Florida or Georgia is sitting there in the SEC Championship game. Not Clemson's fault that FSU, Miami and VT went from great to barely top 25 in the blink of an eye but it is what it is.
That's true the last couple of years, sure. And the SEC is tougher, generally. But they've gotten their due nationally. I don't see voters giving them the shaft due to a weaker schedule.

i fail to see any way Texas would be controlled in anything.

15 mill a year to them is like $150 to me and you.

Terry just showed us how ND plans to make 10MM more a year than that, Texas should be running from ESPN.

the B1G is about protecting M & OSU. if Wisconsin wins it...cool. Mich St? fine.

not Texas.

they dont need them anymore.

to think Texas put its tail between its legs and put its hand out for the SEC without 1st trying to maximize its winning potential and $$ otherwise is preposterous.

a blown up bevo is good for B1G business.

i dont know what happened, but i think texas is making a mistake.
You don’t get it ESPN told Texas what to do.
They owned them till 2031.
The Big XII folding doesn’t help the Big Ten.

First and foremost, ND loses a national schedule that is set up every year by ND, not a conference. ND sees itself as a national Catholic institution, not a regional school. That's one of the reasons it takes one home game on the road in the Shamrock Series, like when ND played SU at Yankee Stadium a few years back. ND likes to play in CA every Thanksgiving Saturday against either Stanford or USC and plays Navy every year to fulfill a promise made to the school. A ten team conference schedule would all but eliminate all of those opportunities.
A ten team conference schedule? Why'd you pick that number lol. No one is suggesting that.

The conference doesn't preclude you from organizing a game at Yankee Stadium or playing in CA. The ACC already works around and accommodates schedules that include annual SEC rivals for current members.

You guys played New Mexico and Bowling Green two years ago. I know those are long standing traditional rivals, but you could play us and BC instead lol.

That's true the last couple of years, sure. And the SEC is tougher, generally. But they've gotten their due nationally. I don't see voters giving them the shaft due to a weaker schedule.
Notre Dame last year was the 1st team they played in the regular season that was ranked in the top 15 since 2017. They are loaded but yeeeeeesh.

What would be funny is two mega conferences forming and both informally wouldn’t allow any of their teams to schedule ND and ND was left to schedule 2 games a year with UConn and whoever is free in the patriot league

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom