Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

I'm not arguing the fact that the ACC is third. My point is simply that the ACC is safe for the foreseeable future.
That doesn’t mean the conference is safe long term.
The Big Ten and SEC will always be patient.

How on gods green earth does it not??

a useless conf that snuck okie into 3 Final 4s playing an inferior schedule is over.

texas and Okie now have to go through Bama and Georgia and Florida and whatever SEC dujuor to get there and they don’t.

they didn’t play last year and managed to put a 6 win team in the F4.

that is power.

if espn is telling texas what to do, then they are in deep shlit.

we will all find out soon enough.

texas is too ‘hoity toity’ for the SEC, something is rotten in the state of austin.

the B1G won this round.
I mean I can’t believe I have to explain this to you.
Ohio State was given the benefit of the doubt by the committee.
That had nothing to do with the Big Ten. It had everything to do with the fact Ohio State was given the benefit no other Big Ten team would have been given.

Oklahoma will be fine in the SEC.

Texas did exactly what ESPN wanted.

The SEC will get the most playoff most seasons I bet.

Spitballing here. Never been a fan of big conferences but it feels like if we aren’t in a big conference in the future we’ll be out. If I’m the ACC I try to bring in the PAC12. The money would be big from ESPN and the ACC network (or the Atlantic/Pacific coast network) would be in Washington Oregon Utah Colorado Arizona and of course California. 26 teams is challenging for scheduling but how about every team gets one permanent rival and then rotates the other 24 teams by 8 teams a year. 9 game schedule. Then you play the whole conference every 3 years. Here’s the fun part. ND has to play 5 conference games a year. USC and Stanford won’t be freebies. They could count them as part of the 5/year but they wouldn’t play every year any more. Maybe every 5 or 6 years? Then how how about we add Navy. Tougher to rotate through all three when you’re playing only 5 ACC teams a year. But if they join the conference with Navy that’s 28 teams. They can have 3 permanent rivals (USC, Stanford and Navy) and rotate through the other 24 teams- 6/year. So, now everyone sees the whole conference every 4 years. Tough choice for ND.

What is the geographic range of Stewart’s? None in Syracuse but obviously common north. Wonder what official territory is they cover. Great store.

I keep hearing "the SEC will be ESPN's little NFL" and I think they are missing that the NFL is watchable because:

- It's got teams in almost every market
- It takes cheating seriously and is governed by an empowered entity
- It has a salary cap that evens the talent out, so your regionally relevant team has a reasonable chance to compete
- It has a salary system so players are a part of the money making equation and tend to be properly incentivized

Interesting point on markets. The reason SEC can be so big is the schools in lessor markets where the NFL does not and therefore, along with local alumni based, college can rule supreme.

Very few college teams in NFL cities flourish otherwise Temple, Pitt, GA Tech, UCLA, etc would be contenders.

What is the geographic range of Stewart’s? None in Syracuse but obviously common north. Wonder what official territory is they cover. Great store.
Forget Stewarts, it's all about Buc-ee's.

Their HQ is in Saratoga, but have bled into the Syracuse region the past 5 years.

That was in response to anti-ND bile and the statement that he would rather have WVU and Villanova in the conference than ND.

The Irish did not cause this latest bullshit, ESPN, the SEC, Texas and Oklahoma did.
I really don’t know why there is so much ND hate going on. I’m no fan of ND by any means but they played their hand and have done what’s best for them. They have no obligation to Join full time in the ACC unless they choose too. Just like Cuse had no obligation to stick around the old big east football conference or try to save it or whatever. Maybe that day will come, maybe it won’t. I really don’t care, bottom line is the ACC needs to look over their shoulder, we are not safe by any means for the long term. As for Cuse football, we need to get consistently average to good or we are sitting at the kids table on thanksgiving.

Spitballing here. Never been a fan of big conferences but it feels like if we aren’t in a big conference in the future we’ll be out. If I’m the ACC I try to bring in the PAC12. The money would be big from ESPN and the ACC network (or the Atlantic/Pacific coast network) would be in Washington Oregon Utah Colorado Arizona and of course California. 26 teams is challenging for scheduling but how about every team gets one permanent rival and then rotates the other 24 teams by 8 teams a year. 9 game schedule. Then you play the whole conference every 3 years. Here’s the fun part. ND has to play 5 conference games a year. USC and Stanford won’t be freebies. They could count them as part of the 5/year but they wouldn’t play every year any more. Maybe every 5 or 6 years? Then how how about we add Navy. Tougher to rotate through all three when you’re playing only 5 ACC teams a year. But if they join the conference with Navy that’s 28 teams. They can have 3 permanent rivals (USC, Stanford and Navy) and rotate through the other 24 teams- 6/year. So, now everyone sees the whole conference every 4 years. Tough choice for ND.
I want to like the Coastal Conference idea. I don't know how the money would be positively impacted though. That conference would certainly have a huge population base, albeit not (college) football junkies.

You are a visitor to this board. Don’t forget that. Go back to the ND board if that is your message.
I’m actually starting to enjoy our ND visitors’ increasingly smug posts.

“It’s never been about the money, it’s about keeping our tradition of being independent!”

“And if we’re forced to join a conference we’re going to maximize our value by ditching the second conference that helped us maintain our sacred independence.”

I’m impressed by how quickly ND fans shed their magnanimity when responding to other fans’ frustrations.

At this point ND is best described using one of Ben Affleck’s memorable lines from Good Will Hunting.

“You’re sitting on a winning lottery ticket but you’re too much of a p***y to cash it in.”

I’m actually starting to enjoy our ND visitors’ increasingly smug posts.

“It’s never been about the money, it’s about keeping our tradition of being independent!”

“And if we’re forced to join a conference we’re going to maximize our value by ditching the second conference that helped us maintain our sacred independence.”

I’m impressed by how quickly ND fans shed their magnanimity when responding to other fans’ frustrations.

At this point ND is best described using one of Ben Affleck’s memorable lines from Good Will Hunting.

“You’re sitting on a winning lottery ticket but you’re too much of a p***y to cash it in.”
The Notre Dame fans arrogance of independence is why at this point I don’t even care about the fact it could be our undoing as a major program.

It’s such sanctimonious bullchit. The fact they played last year in the ACC rather sit out the season showed that.
When given the choice of no season or conference football they chose the later.

It’s just annoying because I don’t want the team in the conference if I were honest. I am sick of the attitude and I deal with it because my godfather and cousins are ND alums. It’s really annoying.

You want to be independent fine be independent in everything.

OK that's fair. ESPN owns the ACC 100% at a very good price through 2035. The ACC owns ND sports other than football through 2035. The ACC owns the contractual rights to 5 games with ND through 2035. ND is contractual obligated to join the ACC if it joins a conference through 2035.
So with that as a foundation what would be the business reason for ESPN to allow the disminishment of a content rich, eyeball rich geographic region that's population base is projected to grow exponentially between now and 2035.
Simply put why would ESPN allow an asset which they control 100% to be picked apart.
Is it now clear for you.
Does this population growth take climate and weather events into its calculation?

The Notre Dame fans arrogance of independence is why at this point I don’t even care about the fact it could be our undoing as a major program.

It’s such sanctimonious bullchit. The fact they played last year in the ACC rather sit out the season showed that.
When given the choice of no season or conference football they chose the later.

It’s just annoying because I don’t want the team in the conference if I were honest. I am sick of the attitude and I deal with it because my godfather and cousins are ND alums. It’s really annoying.

You want to be independent fine be independent in everything.
Syracuse isn’t a ‘major’ program.

I really don’t know why there is so much ND hate going on. I’m no fan of ND by any means but they played their hand and have done what’s best for them. They have no obligation to Join full time in the ACC unless they choose too. Just like Cuse had no obligation to stick around the old big east football conference or try to save it or whatever. Maybe that day will come, maybe it won’t. I really don’t care, bottom line is the ACC needs to look over their shoulder, we are not safe by any means for the long term. As for Cuse football, we need to get consistently average to good or we are sitting at the kids table on thanksgiving.
I don’t hate ND for doing what’s best for them.

I do hate the ACC for being in this position with ND during, yet another, round of conference realignment.

If I’m the ACC - I’m done with placating Notre Dame at this point… if the conference folds because ND won’t join full member, then so be it, but this whole half in/half out garbage does nothing but prolong the inevitable and keep the ACC in a precarious situation.

Join the ACC. Join the B1G. Stay independent.

Pick one. My goodness.

I don’t hate ND for doing what’s best for them.

I do hate the ACC for being in this position with ND during, yet another, round of conference realignment.

If I’m the ACC - I’m done with placating Notre Dame at this point… if the conference folds because ND won’t join full member, then so be it, but this whole half in/half out garbage does nothing but prolong the inevitable and keep the ACC in a precarious situation.

Join the ACC. Join the B1G. Stay independent.

Pick one. My goodness.
I would let them out of their deal with the ACC and let them decide what to do.
If they want to join the Big Ten go ahead. No need to protect the status quo anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom