Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Interesting point on markets. The reason SEC can be so big is the schools in lessor markets where the NFL does not and therefore, along with local alumni based, college can rule supreme.

Very few college teams in NFL cities flourish otherwise Temple, Pitt, GA Tech, UCLA, etc would be contenders.
Yep. A regional minor league system can work under those conditions. Just not sure it’s worth my time unlike the NFL. Enough of us see it that way and subs go down and they are kings of a small kingdom. Classic “flew too close to the sun” stuff.

That was my point. The NFL is big most everywhere due to the points I outlined. The charm of CFB was that it was everywhere. CFB had a parity problem and a players not getting compensated properly problem. The SEC is trying to solve it by consolidating it and chasing $. It might work for them and their fans.

Yep. A regional minor league system can work under those conditions. Just not sure it’s worth my time unlike the NFL. Enough of us see it that way and subs go down and they are kings of a small kingdom. Classic “flew too close to the sun” stuff.

That was my point. The NFL is big most everywhere due to the points I outlined. The charm of CFB was that it was everywhere. CFB had a parity problem and a players not getting compensated properly problem. The SEC is trying to solve it by consolidating it and chasing $. It might work for them and their fans.

Could be a fair amount of fans simply pick a secondary SEC team to route for behind but in addition to their primary team. I'm wearing a Georgia shirt today (BIL is an alum) and got caught out by a cashier asking my thoughts on Texas and OU to the SEC today. I'm in Pennsylvania and pretty sure if I was wearing one of my dozen+ Syracuse shirts that conversation never happens.

It's an odd dynamic but SEC football is something bigger than traditional college football at this point. In the part of the country where those schools exist Sunday football is FAR less important than Saturdays. Anywhere else in the Country NFL is as big or greater. We may as well officially accept the SEC for the (barely) minor league NFL entity that it is at this point and figure out the rest of college athletics with that truth in mind.

Good to know, didn't realize that.

Stewies > Byrne ice cream
Stewart’s ice cream is indeed better but I’ll eat Byrne Dairy cookiewiches ‘til the day I die. Also, BD’s sandwich punch card & “dollar off” Wednesdays is one of the best deals going. They also sell Saranac Ginger Beer & single limes, which is so clutch for mules.

That was in response to anti-ND bile and the statement that he would rather have WVU and Villanova in the conference than ND.

The Irish did not cause this latest bullshit, ESPN, the SEC, Texas and Oklahoma did.
Doesn't matter. ignore it. Don't post crap about us on our own board. If you want to do that, go to your own board.

Could be a fair amount of fans simply pick a secondary SEC team to route for behind but in addition to their primary team. I'm wearing a Georgia shirt today (BIL is an alum) and got caught out by a cashier asking my thoughts on Texas and OU to the SEC today. I'm in Pennsylvania and pretty sure if I was wearing one of my dozen+ Syracuse shirts that conversation never happens.

It's an odd dynamic but SEC football is something bigger than traditional college football at this point. In the part of the country where those schools exist Sunday football is FAR less important than Saturdays. Anywhere else in the Country NFL is as big or greater. We may as well officially accept the SEC for the (barely) minor league NFL entity that it is at this point and figure out the rest of college athletics with that truth in mind.
I remember watching the 3:30 SEC game every Saturday when I lived in New York. I remember most of my friends being interested as well.

I don’t buy that people outside of the Southeast don’t generally care about the SEC. The SEC is College Football.

Now… I do, however, wonder if that interest would remain if/when everyone’s favorite school in the NE/West don’t matter anymore. Some of the allure is knowing Syracuse is part of the same thing LSU vs Florida is… even if we really aren’t.. but you get the picture.

If everyone outside of the Southeast and Midwest is in some janky G-League, would I be as invested in what would basically now be an entirely different sport?… If I lived in New York still… maybe not.

So I hear. They are building the 2nd one in Georgia not too far from me.
I went to the one in Daytona last week. It was WAAAYYYYYYY too busy for my taste. But, we bought all kinds of crap.

I went to the one in Daytona last week. It was WAAAYYYYYYY too busy for my taste. But, we bought all kinds of crap.
On our way back from NY, I drove by the new one being built off of i75 and couldn't get over the 120 fueling positions. Place looks like it'll be huge...

For me, CFB is Syracuse and the world it lives in. Very much in that order. I don’t have the time or energy for an SEC only CFB.

I honestly think the idea that the SEC is bigger than traditional CFB is the blind spot that will end up hurting it in the end.

I‘ve been bored by the CFB playoff because it cycles the same elite teams. We need a more even playing field not a smaller pool.

On our way back from NY, I drove by the new one being built off of i75 and couldn't get over the 120 fueling positions. Place looks like it'll be huge...
Yeah, but as big as they are, you are still shoulder to shoulder with the hundreds of people in there. At least that is the way the one in Daytona was. 102 pumps and I didn't even want to get gas there because it was so crowded.

Yeah, but as big as they are, you are still shoulder to shoulder with the hundreds of people in there. At least that is the way the one in Daytona was. 102 pumps and I didn't even want to get gas there because it was so crowded.
Yeah.. that's a pass for me (after we check it out once to see what a the hype for them is about). :cool:

Stewart’s ice cream is indeed better but I’ll eat Byrne Dairy cookiewiches ‘til the day I die. Also, BD’s sandwich punch card & “dollar off” Wednesdays is one of the best deals going. They also sell Saranac Ginger Beer & single limes, which is so clutch for mules.
Breakfast croissantwichs are damn good too

Yeah.. that's a pass for me (after we check it out once to see what a the hype for them is about). :cool:
yeah, we were going to hit the one in St. Augustine, but decided against it, because it was so crazy in Daytona.

Spitballing here. Never been a fan of big conferences but it feels like if we aren’t in a big conference in the future we’ll be out. If I’m the ACC I try to bring in the PAC12. The money would be big from ESPN and the ACC network (or the Atlantic/Pacific coast network) would be in Washington Oregon Utah Colorado Arizona and of course California. 26 teams is challenging for scheduling but how about every team gets one permanent rival and then rotates the other 24 teams by 8 teams a year. 9 game schedule. Then you play the whole conference every 3 years. Here’s the fun part. ND has to play 5 conference games a year. USC and Stanford won’t be freebies. They could count them as part of the 5/year but they wouldn’t play every year any more. Maybe every 5 or 6 years? Then how how about we add Navy. Tougher to rotate through all three when you’re playing only 5 ACC teams a year. But if they join the conference with Navy that’s 28 teams. They can have 3 permanent rivals (USC, Stanford and Navy) and rotate through the other 24 teams- 6/year. So, now everyone sees the whole conference every 4 years. Tough choice for ND.

The bigger a conference is the smaller it feels. A 14 team conference stinks because it is too big. But a 32 team conference is smaller because it is more like a bunch of small conferences under one umbrella.

With 4 divisions of 8 teams an ACC - B12 - P12 merger could work. The problem is the P12 would need to dissolve because Stanford and Cal won't vote for it otherwise. And they aren't breaking away from B1G brother. Of course convincing ND to join is an issue as well.

Pac 8 - Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State

Big 8 / SWC / WAC - Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Houston, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Utah

ACC - Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, NC State, UNC, Virginia, Wake

Big East - Boston College, Louisville, Miami, Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

For football this would really be 4 separate conferences under one umbrella as you would rarely play the teams in the other divisions. But the good thing is you play your regional rivals every year!

Also this setup is better for keeping fans engaged. In a 14 team conference fans can feel like they have no chance. In an 8 team conference there is more hope. In a four game playoff the 5th best conference gets left out. So an entire region has no chance at playing for the title. Conference expansion has taken good programs and made them mediocre. Mediocre programs have become bad. That is what happens when you have too many good teams fighting it out. Under the above split the best team in the Northeast is in the conference playoff. The best team in the West is in. The best team in the South is in, as is the best team in the Southwest. Keeping fans in each region engaged is good for TV $.

As to the schedule, we would play each team in division one time (7 games) and 2 games against the other divisions however you want. This keeps inter division games like FSU vs Miami. it also allows for made for TV matchups like Clemson vs Oregon ($$$$).

For SU we would have 3-4 road Big East games and then 1 road game vs a team from another division. Travel would be easy. OOC we would play 1 team from either the B1G or SEC to get to 5 home and 5 road P5 games total. Add in two G5 home cupcakes and that is our schedule (7 home games!).

Each division winner makes the conference semi final. Conference champ makes the Final Four along with the B1G champ, the SEC champ, and 1 at large.

Currently we play 20 conference games in BBall, and if you add 2 more conference games it works out nicely (22 games). If we play every team in our division twice (14 games), 2 teams from the other divisions once on a rotating basis (6 games), and 2 teams that you can schedule however you want.

Over 4 seasons you play everyone once and over 8 seasons you play everyone both home and away (Kansas in the Dome once every 8 years!). For SU we would have 7 road Big East games, 1 road ACC game, 1 road Big 8 / SWC / WAC game, 1 road Pac 8 game, and 1 TBD (most likely ACC) road game each year. That isn't bad for travel.

The 2 "however you want" games allow for inter divisions rivalries to remain. For example UVA and VA Tech will still play every year. It also allows for made for TV matchups ($$$) to happen more often than 1 in 4 years, like Duke vs UCLA or UNC vs KU.

The conference would cover the entire country, provide a ton of inventory, and has plenty of big time programs in both sports. TV $ should be higher than Beet can count. Of course this will never happen.

Most of the ND takes on this board remind me of the takes of 15 year old boys when a girl won’t date them.

“You’re so hot, I love you, please date me!… Why won’t you date me?! I hate you!... But you're still so hot, call me?”.

For me, CFB is Syracuse and the world it lives in. Very much in that order. I don’t have the time or energy for an SEC only CFB.

I honestly think the idea that the SEC is bigger than traditional CFB is the blind spot that will end up hurting it in the end.

I‘ve been bored by the CFB playoff because it cycles the same elite teams. We need a more even playing field not a smaller pool.

Agree but think a paradigm shift brought on by UT and OU to the SEC could potentially bring that. SEC can have their playoff and college football can go back to bowl tie ins and AP/Coaches poll.

I'm watching Cuse first always football wise but I'd be watching any marquee SEC matchup second ahead of any other conference offering and don't believe I'm alone in that.

Unless the SEC does the most epic flex and adds Cuse to prove they can make anyone relevant, I'm perfectly content with them being separate entities.

It's like watching the Olympics and SEC is the USA, China, Russia, Japan, etc. and we're Canada or Brasil.

Most of the ND takes on this board remind me of the takes of 15 year old boys when a girl won’t date them.

“You’re so hot, I love you, please date me!… Why won’t you date me?! I hate you!... But you're still so hot, call me?”.
Fair, lol

Yeah but the longer you look at Notre Dame the more they look like that person that everyone pined after in high school... But now at the 20 year reunion. Still nice if you look through a 2 decades old lens but can see the rough years wearing, 2 kids out of wedlock but never married, lives in section 8 housing, still wears their high school varsity jacket out in public... and has that murder charge dismissed because rich parents but everyone knows they did it

Attachments

• tpVr93_.jpg
    tpVr93_.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 79
I probably wouldn't turn off college football completely if it became just the SEC/Big Ten, but my interest would definitely go down a lot. There is a gambling factor like Alsacs said.

I think one other factor though is that fans in NFL markets that don't have a college team might still tune in to college football to watch the next top QB prospects every year when their NFL team is out of playoff contention by week 5 or 6.

Pac-12 Leaders Suggest Realignment Response as SEC Growth May Compromise CFB
Expansion

CFP Expansion

HOLLYWOOD — The College Football Playoff seemed destined to expand and expand quickly.

For two years, a group of CFP executives worked to create a model that they presented to decision makers and have disseminated across college football. Their 12-team proposal, largely celebrated across America, appeared on the fast track to approval in a September meeting, potentially within two years of replacing the current four-team model.

And then, in a seismic and stunning shift, the Big 12’s two biggest brands, Texas and Oklahoma, started the process this week of joining the SEC. Pac-12 leaders here at the conference’s annual media day say the move compromises the expansion model and will almost assuredly delay its approval, even potentially resulting in wholesale changes to its structure.

In fact, league administrators believe the SEC’s chess move, while calculated and cunning, will start a responsive chain of significant changes across the landscape of American college sports.

It’s the tip of the iceberg, says one. There will be more, says another.

In-depth analysis, unrivaled access. Get SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's best stories every weekday. Sign up now.

The Realignment War of 2021 has begun, and this time, there is a particularly precious battleground: the expanded playoff model.

Conferences are scrambling and schools are jockeying, all of them tossed into a tizzy of action by the SEC’s bold play—stockpiling more of the nation’s richest college football programs.

It’s clear who the bad guys are this go-around: commissioner Greg Sankey and the Southeastern Conference, brandished by some here as the person and the entity that helped destroy a conference, pushed college football into a mess of disruption and compromised the expansion model.

Replay
Learn More
Sankey was on the four-person working group that created the 12-team proposal, leading some around college athletics to question his motives as one of few who knew that his league could soon expand.

“It’s fishy,” says one.

“It’s insider trading,” says another.

While some say the SEC wisely and secretly leaped ahead of everyone else in the next wave of realignment, others describe the move as unnecessary and harmful to college sports. The SEC burned already charred bridges and even ruined personal relationships, they say.

As a result, high-level decision-makers are contemplating a retaliatory move. Does the Pac-12, Big Ten and others form an alliance against the big, bad SEC?

“We will have a response,” says one Pac-12 administrator.

For now, the league’s new commissioner, George Kliavkoff, is attempting to preserve his own membership at a time of uncertainty, keeping together the group and its golden goose, USC, while also weighing the possibility of adding more. The Pac-12 is receiving significant interest from suitors about expansion, Kliavkoff told reporters here Tuesday. And while they’re listening, conference leaders are more than happy to remain at 12 teams, he says.

Some administrators believe that none of the remaining eight Big 12 teams offer value to the conference—they would not increase the league distribution. Others say programs such as TCU, in the Dallas-area hub, is attractive, as well as Kansas’ basketball program.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/07/28/pa...n-problems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom