Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

For me, CFB is Syracuse and the world it lives in. Very much in that order. I don’t have the time or energy for an SEC only CFB.

I honestly think the idea that the SEC is bigger than traditional CFB is the blind spot that will end up hurting it in the end.

I‘ve been bored by the CFB playoff because it cycles the same elite teams. We need a more even playing field not a smaller pool.

This is perfectly said. I completely agree. Just don’t care to see Bama, Clemson, OU and one of 4 others every year. It’s boring. It will lose excitement nationally. That said, the SEC fanatics probably don’t care. Do the networks??

Last edited:
Theoretical question here...

I am guessing some of the ACC hard core football schools, like Clemson and FSU, are frustrated as hell with ND and their refusal to join the ACC for football. I suspect they would like the ACC to give ND two choices, with a decision due by August 31st:

1) join the ACC in all sports (i.e. add football)
or
2) hit the road and get kicked out of the conference

They would presumably be replaced by the Mountaineers.

Not sure if the ACC is contractually obligated to ND. Kicking ND out would surely hurt the TV contract in a small way. But having them part of the ACC in most sports hasn't been a home run.

They failed to deliver an early Comcast commitment.

Their basketball program has been irrelevant pretty much every season (I know they won an ACC tournament, maybe two but their teams have not been good and have made no impact in the NCAA tournament).

The requirement to play 5 ACC games a year is really not helping the conference much. Maybe it helps with TV ratings a little. I don't think the ACC is getting paid for it though. ND is consistently winning these ACC games and that is great for ND but it hurts the conference as a whole. And I think the 5 game obligation makes it less likely that the ACC will go to a 9 game conference schedule for football, which I think is important to build conference rivalries.

It is okay if ND values its independence for football and if it cares about that more than its place in the ACC for most of its Olympic sports, hey, that is understandable. The ACC can respect that and wish ND well in the future as its relationship with the conference ends.

I would think this option has to be a topic of discussion among the members of the ACC. The full time, completely committed members of the conference.

What would ND do if they got kicked out of the ACC? I would think their options would be to join the New Big East for Olympic sports and stay independent for football, or join the B1G as a full time member in all sports and give up their independence.

The New Big East might honestly be a better fit for them. The level of competition in almost all sports is considerably lower, so they would go from a small fish in a big pond to a big fish in a small pond. The NBE schools are also generally closer, especially now that the New Big East has all those teams in the Midwest. That is a plus for all the Olympic sports programs.

That might be nice for their egos for the athletes, alums and fans to win more games and be more of a power in more sports too. They would make less money in the NBE but between the NBE TV money, which would go up a bit, and their donor contributions, they would have enough to get by.

Or they go for the big bucks and join the B1G. Either way, they end up in good shape.

Understand, I am not advocating this position. This is a theoretical discussion. I like having ND in the conference and like having the opportunity to play them in a lot of sports, including football, on a fairly regular basis. I am not sure the ACC should have 'the talk' with ND. Probably not just yet.

The day WVU becomes a free agent and is available to replace ND might be the day 'the talk' happens though.

Something to think about...
The ACC and ND have an agreement that goes through 2036. It is a stalemate.

The ACC and ND have an agreement that goes through 2036. It is a stalemate.
Yep, there is no kicking us out just because Clemson and FSU want to go back on the terms of the contract they willingly signed.

No its not what we should have done. The ACC handled it well.

They didn't use any leverage they had. Swofford should have said join in football full time or your basketball program isn't playing either this year. Good riddance to that boomer.

Yeah but the longer you look at Notre Dame the more they look like that person that everyone pined after in high school... But now at the 20 year reunion. Still nice if you look through a 2 decades old lens but can see the rough years wearing, 2 kids out of wedlock but never married, lives in section 8 housing, still wears their high school varsity jacket out in public... and has that murder charge dismissed because rich parents but everyone knows they did it
They have been in the playoffs two of the last four years and played in the ACC Championship game and Rose Bowl last season.

You are the type of fan that allows ND to have its cake and eat it as well.

Congrats.
The Michigan banner is lonely. I’m amused by the thought of it being stuck with an ND artifact in perpetuity. Sort of like a college football version of “No Exit”.

The ACC literally got nothing out of it.
They didn’t get an additional game per year commitment or anything.
Their are articles out there as well that showed Notre Dame was one of the leading advocates that last year had to be played so they could give an extra Effff you to Big Ten plan of sitting out the year.

The ACC canceled a game with Wake for ND to give them a week off before the ACCT game. Even though the game was canceled because of an ND Covid outbreak.

It’s amazing how dumb the leaders get with ND and just let them have everything. At some point enough is enough.
Well, Clemson refused to play Florida State that weekend which gave them a bye so the ACC felt that it would be unfair for Clemson to create a bye for themselves and then make ND play Wake Forest in a make up game.

• Haha
Reactions: gbo
Well, Clemson refused to play Florida State that weekend which gave them a bye so the ACC felt that it would be unfair for Clemson to create a bye for themselves and then make ND play Wake Forest in a make up game.
You mean after Clemson had already traveled down to Tallahassee weeks before and cancelled the game. Dabo and company were not about to go back after all that money spent for a chance at FSU cancelling for a second time.

You mean after Clemson had already traveled down to Tallahassee weeks before and cancelled the game. Dabo and company were not about to go back after all that money spent for a chance at FSU cancelling for a second time.
Ok. I don't fault Dabo and company for making that call, but the end result of that decision gave Clemson a bye going into the ACC Champ game, did it not?

We have a unique subset of SU fans commonly referred to as "Basketball Only's."

Their passion for SU athletics is so entirely consumed by basketball that they find other college football teams to support (e.g. Notre Dame).

Just a heads up that you're engaging with one.

Feom what I’ve heard Stewart’s is done in CNY, Byrne has been taking the c-store all over Cuse and Rochester
Not sure about that.

In addition to the one in Baldwinsville, there are actually 2 Stewart's on Buckley Road, one at Morgan Road, and another at Bear Road. All of these stores have been built since 2014.

Byrne Dairy appears to have stolen Stewart's formula for the 'super stores' that they have been building all over Onondaga County and beyond. I believe they are closing their old stores that were not big enough to sell gas and going exclusively with big stores that sell gas, the usual convenience stuff, hot food to go and...ice cream.

Just like Stewart's. Only the quality of the food and the training of the staff is much lower.

I think if Stewart's wants to, they can take over Onondaga County. I give Byrne Dairy credit for stealing a good idea and doing a decent job trying to implement it and it appears to be working fairly well. But if the two companies go head to head, it will be Stewart's winning every time.

It is Syracuse vs Colgate in men's college basketball.

BTW - Bravo to the posters with the informative side conversation on Stewart's.

I was raised on Byrne Dairy (haven't yet been to a Stewart's) but I appreciate the knowledge dropped in this thread.

This could be my "one shining moment." At me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing I am the only poster here who has toured both the Stewart's Plant and Distribution Center and also taken the "Turkey Hill Experience." In other words ...

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Ok. I don't fault Dabo and company for making that call, but the end result of that decision gave Clemson a bye going into the ACC Champ game, did it not?
I agree. I'm not refuting that, just the clarifying why Clemson didn't play FSU at the end of the season.

We have a unique subset of SU fans commonly referred to as "Basketball Only's."

Their passion for SU athletics is so entirely consumed by basketball that they find other college football teams to support (e.g. Notre Dame).

Just a heads up that you're engaging with one.
I'm a Syracuse alum and have had SU football season tickets for over twenty years supporting the Orange through all of the lean years. I've been to several SU away games and several SU bowl games. I'm anything but a "basketball only". I grew up an SU fan because of where I lived and then because I went there and I am also an ND fan because of my Irish Catholic grandfather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom