Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Damn, that went quick

at first didn’t love the thought of Texas to the ACC. But if they are leaving and the SEC gives them a hard time, I really hope that the ACC steps up and picks up Texas.

Thinking the same. Why are Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc. Going to want to stay in a low revenue conference?

ACC is probably reaching out to them asking what will make them happy

If they can get ND to join in football, it probably could be enough to satisfy them

If they can get ND to join in football, it probably could be enough to satisfy them

ACC has to get ND now, even if they have to give them a crazy deal they can't get even farther behind the SEC and B10 in yearly revenue. ACC is still inna good spot but it only takes one school to bolt for the B10 and we could be in major trouble ourselves.

And what's NDs incentive?

If this is the beginning of super conference development, it stands to reason that some of those ACC schools will want a piece of that pie - which is currently NOT the ACC.

*edit

Last edited:

If this is the beginning of super conference development, it stands to reason that sone of those ACC schools will want a piece of that pie - which is currently the ACC.

I guess their incentive is that if the ACC folds they have to go conference hunting for their other sports. No one else probably will let them keep football independent.

Notre Dame wants a NE footprint.

It very much probably is the start to a super conference but that’s years down the road until then, ND needs a landing spot and we better hope and pray that it’s with the ACC

If Texas and Oklahoma leave, b12 revenue falls off a cliff. They should drop below the ACC

In terms of per-school payouts for fiscal 2020:

— Big Ten: $54.3 million
SEC: $45.5 million
— Big 12: $37 million to $40.5 million
— Pac-12: $33.6 million
— ACC: $30.9 million to $37 million (and $10.8 million to Notre Dame)

It very much probably is the start to a super conference but that’s years down the road until then, ND needs a landing spot and we better hope and pray that it’s with the ACC
Fair points. My only disagreement is that super conferences are years down the road. Its starting right now.

Our resident Clemson fan popped in, and I'd gamble that the bigger ACC schools are thinking the same thing.

Last edited:
ACC could make a play for Texas/OU/ND or Texas A&M/OSU/ND. They should also make a play for ND/PSU/MD/WVU
Financial concessions for the big guys, if needed.

Get four 5 team divisions
Semi-final and finals for conference FB championship
Duel site BB mini-tournament, then championship weekend in ATL

If this is the beginning of super conference development, it stands to reason that some of those ACC schools will want a piece of that pie - which is currently NOT the ACC.

*edit

if the Big 12 and ACC both fall apart, then how do we have four 16 team conferences? I would assume that a dissolution of the Big 12 guarantees that the ACC will be one of those four super-conferences.

The 4 mega-conference era will be soon upon us.

The 4 mega conferences will break away from the NCAA and college sports as you know it will change forever. For basketball and football, it will become a true "minor league" in every sense of the word to the NBA, WNBA, and NFL.

Change is in the air. Schools that are smart get ahead of the curve and won't get caught watching the grass grow. New college football playoff format coming, NIL, this rumor which I have no reason to think won't happen in time. This is not a time for any school to have a weakness with their coaches in Football and Men's and Women's Basketball. Solidify those 3 positions and lock in the right people before the college sports landscape goes through a tsunami.

Last edited:
Why would Okie, who pretty much can punch their ticket to the 12-team playoff every year in the Big 12(10), want to go to the SEC where it would be so much more difficult?
The new college football playoff structure that will be voted in states even if you win your conference you aren't guaranteed a spot in the playoff. There is other criteria that must be met. (ie SEC trying to tilt the scales to get numerous teams in at all times.)

Now that will never affect the Big 10 or SEC. Pac 12 and Big 12 should be nervous. And outside of Clemson, the ACC could be affected in some years. With lesser bowls probably going away, Oklahoma figures if they are in the SEC odds are better as an at-large there to get into the playoff (as the Big 12 isn't exactly tearing it up in football from top to bottom) and of course at the end of the day win or lose, playoff or no playoff...MORE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ consistently in their pocket if they are in the SEC.

If the Big 12 starts to crumble and falls apart, the ACC needs to bring in WV and get them into the fold. Location wise is a perfect fit. Sports program wise it's a perfect fit.

The big downside is as a school they don't fit the ACC academic-wise (but ACC took Louisville so push comes to shove they will do what they gotta do). Also travel to Morgantown is not easy but again, small price to pay to keep the ACC strong.

If I am the SEC I would take Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and then offer NC State and VA Tech. If they say yes, then you take WV as #20. That would give the SEC a school in every Southeastern state. If they say no, then you take App State to get to 18. They could take WV but they are too far North without a team in VA too.

I wouldn't leave KU BBall for the B1G to grab. Then again who is the B1G going to take as #16? They would offer ND, who would say no. Then who? Iowa State? UConn?

If the ACC wanted to get to 16 they could add WV and Cincy. That would fill in the map and please both FB and BBall. If ND ever came you can get to 18 by adding Temple or UConn. IMO ND would prefer Temple.

Would they P12 consider going East? They can try for KU, Texas Tech, Okie State. Then one of Boise State, UNLV, New Mexico to get to 16, or all three to get to 18. Kansas State I suppose would be an option as well.

Baylor and TCU seem screwed.
If the SEC expands, the Big 10 isn’t wasting time with nonsense schools like Uconn, Iowa State (lol), Va Tech or NC State. Their big fish are academic powerhouses North Carolina and Virginia. Delaney had long wanted both of those schools to go with Maryland. Maybe throw in Duke and Ga Tech if they go any farther.

Last edited:
More tv money, better SoS to make the case for more playoff spots - it all makes sense.

But what I don’t get is why go from playing a winnable B12 to fighting out for mediocrity in a super conference if you’re Oklahoma (and Texas, I guess)? Lots more coaches are going to get fired by booster pressure for not being Bama

As fun as the conference expansion talk is, if true, this is not a good thing for the ACC. SEC would take another big leap ahead in revenue, exposure, recruiting etc. Getting ND to join is not going to be easy, or quick, and they may not join at all. ACC revenue currently lags SEC, Big 10 and the Pac 12 (I believe). The Big 10 could be next to expand to 16, and their revenue is enticing to many program, and they may first look to the ACC to poach for geographic and financial reasons. Why go after the Big 12 leftovers when you know they are still going to be there after you "shoot your shot", so to speak. There is far more risk than reward if this move comes to fruition for the ACC in my opinion and I personally hope it is nothing other than an unfounded rumor.
Spot on in your post. Glad someone else understands the danger conference expansion poses to the ACC and Syracuse. Jim Delaney’s white whale was always UNC and UVA.

Could this wind up with two conferences: The SEC and the Big 10?

ACC has to get ND now, even if they have to give them a crazy deal they can't get even farther behind the SEC and B10 in yearly revenue. ACC is still inna good spot but it only takes one school to bolt for the B10 and we could be in major trouble ourselves.
As Hoo said, the Big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland 10 years ago because they were getting nervous about the ACC potentially coming after Penn State since it’s a better geographic fit and would make them a top dog.

Adding Penn State and ND and getting Maryland back in the fold would make the ACC extremely competitive with the SEC and Big 10. But there’s probably too many moving parts and other variables to pull that off. It would have to be done a few years before the Big 10 TV contracts expire to get them to commit. The pitch to Penn State would be a better geographic fit, flagship status, and playing a good amount of games in fertile southern recruiting territory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom