Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

College football should follow the soccer model.
Have promotion/relegation system.
The teams at the bottom get relegated to the division below.
Teams from bottom division could move up.
Where you finish in the table determines how much money you make.

College sports could actually do this.
Like the idea, but probably would decimate and/or cause a lot of fluctuation in budgets unless they could figure out a way to may the revenue sharing feasible. The jump between the Championship division and EPL provides significant revenue for clubs, I would expect the same in college

This is exactly what I am talking about.
Sorry you don’t understand the discussion.
I have been a season ticket holder for football for over 15 years since I graduated.
Sorry you don’t like what I say. You clearly only want to hear what you like.

Thanks for telling me to stop supporting my alma mater because I realize how vulnerable we are.
You have NO idea what is going to happen so why go directly to negative town. I've been a fan longer then you've been alive but I'm waiting to see how the UT & OU request pans out before going nuclear.

Who has the ACC been ahead of in conference realignment? The Big East?

The SEC and Big 10 have been way ahead of the ACC in every conference realignment move. The SEC and Big 10 have grabbed large state flagship universities for their conferences and they were well ahead of the ACC when it came to starting conference networks. And, neither the Big 10 or SEC locked in LT media deals in a rapidly changing media landscape like the ACC did.

The Big 12 was a messy merger between the Big 8 and some of the SWC schools that became toast 10 years ago the moment Colorado and Nebraska left shortly followed by Texas A&M and Missouri. Nobody could have saved the Big 12 from ultimately collapsing.

The Pac 12 conference is not really relevant to the ACC at this time, although that could change if there is some movement between the Pac 12 and Big 10.

No offense to Jim Phillips, but hasn't everyone learned by now to not trust the conference commissioner to solve your school's problems? WIldhack needs to try and strengthen the ACC as well as see if the Big 10 would have some interest. But, he also needs a plan in case the ACC gets picked apart by the SEC and Big 10 and Syracuse doesn't get selected. I would have a conversation with Val Ackerman, the commissioner of the Big East, to see if the Big East is a fall back option.

You have got to be kidding. Let’s simmer down a bit- some of this wild speculation is getting ridiculous, IMO. Sheesh.

That's probably a good idea. Not sure my interest is all that high in being educated by the guy that is trying to tell everyone that Syracuse is more valuable in realignment then Miami is. Which 0 other people even on a Syracuse fanboard agree with.

That is not what I said. Might need reading glasses.

Clemson can’t get into the SEC.
Georgia/Florida/Kentucky/South Carolina have an agreement that Georgia Tech/Florida State/Louisville/Clemson/ will never get support into the SEC.

A&M isn’t getting that courtesy because they aren’t a long term member and Texas is more actually valuable.

Clemson could go independent if they wanted too.
They could petition the Big Ten but they won’t get into the SEC.

For the most part I agree. But what if the SEC uses the threat of FSU and Clemson eventually going to the B1G as leverage? Would SC rather see Clemson in the SEC or B1G?

I still think the SEC should stay clear though. SEC destabilizing the ACC might get the B1G into the Southeast (GA Tech, UNC, Duke, UVA).

The ACC should market the end of the conference in 2035.
"It's the ACC going-out-of-business sale! All things must go and we're passing the savings ON TO YOU! Always wanted a small private school in North Carolina? How about a well-regarded tech school in Atlanta?! Have you dreamed about owning the university that had not one, but TWO, massive gambling scandals?!?! It's all yours to be had at the once in a lifetime ACC going-out-of-business sale! Act now!!!"

Could be SU and wake forest. We were just voted to finish last in FB this year
Lulz

it was a joke. Yeah, everyone outside of 4-5 teams should be worried if the ACC starts cutting teams

I tried to introduce this highfalootin' logic early in this thread. It's never well received.
Journalists' opinions hold more weight than posters on a fan forum. ;)

That tweet makes a ton of sense but if that were to be the case then it would seem only Texas and Oklahoma would be moving but that doesn't seem like it's going to be the case.

Hard to figure out what the value of a pretty good (17 bowls in 19 years) football program and really good bball program is worth. Have a rabid fanbase but in a fairly small footprint.

Also the argument is the league is being undervalued so all the teams should be re-rated.

Yes. This is the "semi-pro vs. academic" split Father Jenkins of ND recently spoke about. There will be a lot of schools that either are kicked to the curb or tell the semi-pros "See ya!". ND will be one of the schools in the academic group and (sorry, cynics) will not "change their mind when they see the money." This is viewed as part of the legacy left by Father Hesburgh who made ND what it is today. I've said this "a couple of times", when you go to the hard-core ND board you see that even the group who adamantly believe going with the academics is the wrong move readily acknowledge that ND will go with the academics.
Hesburgh was a Syracuse native. One might think that might have led to closer athletic relations between ND and SU. But the fallout from the 1961 abomination might have been too difficult to overcome.

Feel like this is trending towards a Nike and Adidas type situation, but with ESPN and Fox. or maybe more accurately national league and American League in MLB.

They’re both gonna build junior NFL’s, with espn based on the sec and Fox based on the b1g.

They’ll come together for a playoff based on the one they have now, and each walk away with tons of money.

To make this work they’ll need ditch diggers too in football. Think something like 32 teams under each umbrella (in whatever fashion it works out). The big boys will be there, but the medium guys will find a spot too.

College football should follow the soccer model.
Have promotion/relegation system.
The teams at the bottom get relegated to the division below.
Teams from bottom division could move up.
Where you finish in the table determines how much money you make.

College sports could actually do this.
That's just the opposite of what's afoot right now. The whole idea behind Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC is to lock in that league's advantage for as far forward as anyone can see. Them Good Ol' Boys want to etch it in stone.

Clemson can’t get into the SEC.
Georgia/Florida/Kentucky/South Carolina have an agreement that Georgia Tech/Florida State/Louisville/Clemson/ will never get support into the SEC.

A&M isn’t getting that courtesy because they aren’t a long term member and Texas is more actually valuable.

Clemson could go independent if they wanted too.
They could petition the Big Ten but they won’t get into the SEC.
Georgia, and Florida would much rather play Clemson than South Carolina, or Kentucky. With the new playoff even losing to Clemson guarantees a spot in the playoffs, as long as no big loses.

Bilas out this afternoon floating idea for ACC merger with SEC. I can't see that at all.
Might be a better case for an alliance of some type with Big Ten as a bulwark. But the Big Ten has strong ties with the PAC 12 so maybe they prefer that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom