Thamels Has Babers Top UMD Option | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Thamels Has Babers Top UMD Option

yes i'm very bias towards where half my family is. who cares? it's a message board, not a referendum on your unilateral rooting interests.

I wasn't even comparing BC brand to Syracuse's brand. Our brand is synonymous w losing and that's tough to change overnight.

I'll admit to being sympathetic to BC and wanting them to do well.

This is primarily due to our family connection with Jesuit education. But also because BC is a northern, private school of about the same size as SU with whom we have had a long, almost incident free association. (I didn't like the BC players wearing "The Train" tshirts after Mac said he saw the light at the end of the tunnel and Michael Adams was a PIA.)
Ask Don Draper, er, I mean Townie, you have to build the brand.

Ha!

You are closer to the truth on that then you can ever imagine.

Is Babers scolding Edsall in that photo?

It's a caption contest.

"Wait, YOU'RE the guy in the video doing that supergay dance and knocking over all your players after you won a game!"

I'll admit to being sympathetic to BC and wanting them to do well.

This is primarily due to our family connection with Jesuit education. But also because BC is a northern, private school of about the same size as SU with whom we have had a long, almost incident free association. (I didn't like the BC players wearing "The Train" tshirts after Mac said he saw the light at the end of the tunnel and Michael Adams was a PIA.)

Ha!

You are closer to the truth on that then you can ever imagine.
You can't be saying in the looks department, or else I think you would have better hobbies to spend your spare time on.

I have no idea what Dino Babers is going to do.

But one of the roads to internet meltdown is paved with platitudes like “Coach X loves our town!”, “He and the AD get along great!,” “he’s not just about money!” and my personal favorite “I saw him at the Colgate game in 311 funneling beers with CuseHulk.”

Oh - I agree. Marrone left his dream job, etc etc. Just find it funny that people assume that he'll leave if offered more money. Like I said previously - so much of this iceberg is under water. We're left with the default of "of course he'll leave for x" when we have no idea. At all.

yes i'm very bias towards where half my family is. who cares? it's a message board, not a referendum on your unilateral rooting interests.

I wasn't even comparing BC brand to Syracuse's brand. Our brand is synonymous w losing and that's tough to change overnight.

*was* synonymous with losing... things change at twitter pace now - don't need to wait for the paper to be delivered

You can't be saying in the looks department, or else I think you would have better hobbies to spend your spare time on.

No. But the difference between my avatar, Al Swearengen, and Don Draper is that Draper is better dressed. That's about it.

Well why are we winning this year then?

Well why are we winning this year then?

Because Babers is a Hell of a salesperson. Because he, himself, generates enthusiasm and loyalty.

He's been able to overcome the SU rep as a poor to mediocre program that is probably not going to get any better. As I wrote elsewhere. It's not about the long-term "brand', it's about the direction of the momentum that recruits see.

People want to be part of a wave that is building and gaining speed.

Because Babers is a Hell of a salesperson. Because he, himself, generates enthusiasm and loyalty.

He's been able to overcome the SU rep as a poor to mediocre program that is probably not going to get any better. As I wrote elsewhere. It's not about the long-term "brand', it's about the direction of the momentum that recruits see.

People want to be part of a wave that is building and gaining speed.

He’s a force of nature to change this right now and he is. But damage was done. Recruits watch espn and when we aren’t mentioned as much as we were in 1997 it stings our national recognition in football.

It’s changing and that’s good.

Townie I’m involved w St Sebastian’s up here and I root for the Jesuit schools as well. I don’t hold crazy animosity towards my neighbor. A 9-2 cuse vs 9-2 bc game would be fantastic for northeast football. The games in 1992 and 1993 were fantastic affairs for someone who had affinity for both programs. A rising northeast tide will lift all boats

He’s a force of nature to change this right now and he is. But damage was done. Recruits watch espn and when we aren’t mentioned as much as we were in 1997 it stings our national recognition in football.

It’s changing and that’s good.

Townie I’m involved w St Sebastian’s up here and I root for the Jesuit schools as well. I don’t hold crazy animosity towards my neighbor. A 9-2 cuse vs 9-2 bc game would be fantastic for northeast football. The games in 1992 and 1993 were fantastic affairs for someone who had affinity for both programs. A rising northeast tide will lift all boats

How does a rising NE tide lift all boats exactly? I’d rather see BC, Penn St, and Pitt be mediocre, Rutgers and UCONN awful - with Syracuse as the place to go to school in the NE for football.

So now Gene Wojciechowski on College Football Live brought up Dino Babers to replace Durkin.
Holy Chit the national perception of Syracuse is crazy low.
It’s so unbelievably stupid.
Syracuse isn’t in the G5.

How does a rising NE tide lift all boats exactly? I’d rather see BC, Penn St, and Pitt be mediocre, Rutgers and UCONN awful - with Syracuse as the place to go to school in the NE for football.

WSell, let's see.

Would you think SU playing games against Pitt and BC with full stadiums, lots of TV viewers, oodles of press and commentators talking about the game would hurt or help the SU program?

Plus, some of us don't search for every piece of logic on how a contest or program hurts or helps SU even remotely as the basis for who we root for. It'd be different if we were locked in a tight conference race with a school.

But if BC is playing FSU, I'm probably going to root for BC because they better match up with my criteria for schools I root for.

This would generally include:

Private schools over public schools
Academically more competitive schools vs schools that are really four year versions of Jr colleges with zero academic requirements (i.e., Louisville, Memphis)
Northeastern schools over Southern schools.

I watched Temple vs, UCF last night. I had to mildly root for one of them.

I love ya PA but our brand has taken a major hit in football. The national brand is all about the hoops program and we've become a laughingstock in football. Dino has changed it from "those guys always stink" to "hey look, Syracuse, that once proud program, is actually showing life". That's not a brand but a snicker from the media.

We need another late 80s/early 90s run to get back to where we were in, 2004. I don't think people realize how much our brand has taken a hit with GERG hire. He is in the discussion for worst hire in college football history

Maryland is broke and killed a kid.

Syracuse is an infinitely better job at this point.

WSell, let's see.

Would you think SU playing games against Pitt and BC with full stadiums, lots of TV viewers, oodles of press and commentators talking about the game would hurt or help the SU program?

Plus, some of us don't search for every piece of logic on how a contest or program hurts or helps SU even remotely as the basis for who we root for. It'd be different if we were locked in a tight conference race with a school.

But if BC is playing FSU, I'm probably going to root for BC because they better match up with my criteria for schools I root for.

This would generally include:

Private schools over public schools
Academically more competitive schools vs schools that are really four year versions of Jr colleges with zero academic requirements (i.e., Louisville, Memphis)
Northeastern schools over Southern schools.

I watched Temple vs, UCF last night. I had to mildly root for one of them.

I’d prefer an empty BC venue and all their best recruits wearing Syracuse Orange.

I generally root for all of the teams we play to win all their games but the one against us.*

*unless coached by a douchenozzle

Last edited:
Recruiting is a variable that is important. I surmise that coaches prefer a situation where recruiting top flight recruits is easier. If our recruiting picks up Babers might well be more likely to stay.

Caption this photo:
IMG_20181102_2310551.png

"I told you, keep your grubby little hands out of the cookie jar!"

No sane coach would go to UMD. They’re a mess with few redeeming qualities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom