Thamels Has Babers Top UMD Option | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Thamels Has Babers Top UMD Option

I love ya PA but our brand has taken a major hit in football. The national brand is all about the hoops program and we've become a laughingstock in football. Dino has changed it from "those guys always stink" to "hey look, Syracuse, that once proud program, is actually showing life". That's not a brand but a snicker from the media.

We need another late 80s/early 90s run to get back to where we were in, 2004. I don't think people realize how much our brand has taken a hit with GERG hire. He is in the discussion for worst hire in college football history

It's been 10 years since Gerg. We are in the top 25. That means the brand is improving. Maybe pay attention to Cuse a little more and a little less attention to Addazio and BC.

The kids we are recruiting don't even know who GERG is.

It's been 10 years since Gerg. We are in the top 25. That means the brand is improving. Maybe pay attention to Cuse a little more and a little less attention to Addazio and BC.

The kids we are recruiting don't even know who GERG is.

The top 25 doesn't mean the brand is improving it means the football is improving. Addazio has turned around BC faster than anyone thought he would. I live in Boston, do u want me to move? I follow the team closely because i actually rooted for them before i went to SU in the early 90s. is that a federal offense?

The brand is damaged. Anyone who doesn't recognize that is an ostrich. That is not a shot at Dino at all. IN fact it's a compliment to him for coming in the first place and turning things around. He's been fantastic and has done things i never expected.

But we need to fix the brand in the eyes of the media who consider us a lesser ran still. I agree with PA that we can overcome it but it will take time (which is what i said before).

Guys, Maryland is awful, they’ve won games but their culture is shot. There’s no argument. It’s not an up hill battle at that program. You’re staring up at the Himalaya’s. They need a Mac or AAC guy who could be given time to rebuild Marylands reputation with families and recruits. Dino sounds like a perfect guy to do that, but Syracuse is far and away in a better, further ahead position with the school ready to bust open the safe.

These guys really don't understand how bad the situation is right now at Maryland.

The word "disarray" doesn't even get close to describing what a cluster - F this is. (This is way worse that Len Bias. (After Len Bias's death, the Washington Post wrote a negative article about Maryland basketball and the athletic department every day for 18 months. They are licking their chops right now. )

The Head FB coach, the AD. the President and the majority of the Board of Regents is either gone or is on the rocks.

Now the state politicians are involved. More than half of them don't care if Maryland's football team wins or loses. And huge swathes of the voters don't care either.

Remember the Georgetown shopping list of proven, "hot" and or highly desirable coaches to replace JT?

The top 25 doesn't mean the brand is improving it means the football is improving. Addazio has turned around BC faster than anyone thought he would. I live in Boston, do u want me to move? I follow the team closely because i actually rooted for them before i went to SU in the early 90s. is that a federal offense?

The brand is damaged. Anyone who doesn't recognize that is an ostrich. That is not a shot at Dino at all. IN fact it's a compliment to him for coming in the first place and turning things around. He's been fantastic and has done things i never expected.

But we need to fix the brand in the eyes of the media who consider us a lesser ran still. I agree with PA that we can overcome it but it will take time (which is what i said before).

7-6
7-6
3-9
7-6
7-6
6-2

1-3 in bowl games.
What exactly is BC's brand?

These guys really don't understand how bad the situation is right now at Maryland.

The word "disarray" doesn't even get close to describing what a cluster - F this is. (This is way worse that Len Bias. (After Len Bias's death, the Washington Post wrote a negative article about Maryland basketball and the athletic department every day for 18 months. They are licking their chops right now. )

The Head FB coach, the AD. the President and the majority of the Board of Regents is either gone or is on the rocks.

Now the state politicians are involved. More than half of them don't care if Maryland's football team wins or loses. And huge swathes of the voters don't care either.

Remember the Georgetown shopping list of proven, "hot" and or highly desirable coaches to replace JT?
This is how I look at it.

Dini came to SU, Dino did not go to Missouri. Maryland is not the s-show Mizzou was at the time, YET, but the cultures been turned upside down and I see them a year or 2 away from completely re-evaluating overspending in regards to football.

Maryland is a dead end right now. If syracuse is a launch pad, find solace in the fact that we’re a much more attractive launch pad than maryland at this time.

Except that your concept of "brand" is way less important than you think it is. We aren't selling soap here. The traditional "brand concept" may affect ticket sales, especially in Away venues but it's value in understanding recruiting is overstated.

I am close to two high school programs here in DC and I have seen the recruitment process play itself out many times in three sports. Of critical importance in this is the perception of the direction of any program. Not how it a few years ago, but in what direction is it going now.

Why does the brand need to be fixed in the eyes of the media for Dino to stay here?

Also - the media will follow the rankings and wins. It takes care of itself.

(The eyes I most care about selling the program to are 17-19 year olds. They see the #19 and it's a whole lot easier to sell what Dino is working on.)

7-6
7-6
3-9
7-6
7-6
6-2

1-3 in bowl games.
What exactly is BC's brand?

He's a Bostonian through and through and he's letting his bias show from that perspective.

He's a Bostonian through and through and he's letting his bias show from that perspective.

I think BC is a tough match up and am worried that they'll be able to wear us down. But, they haven't lit the world on fire. Year 6 for the Dazzler vs. year 3 for Dino.

It's also kind of crazy to say that our brand isn't improving. We're getting pretty awesome media attention right now. We have a coach who is a media sensation to some extent and if we get through the next two games we'll be America's team as the whole country will be rooting for the #15 Orange to knock off #3 Notre Dame.

No it's not a federal offense, but your bias to BC clearly shows.

BC has 2 losses. 1 on the road at
Purdue( Ask Ohio St about that), and 1 on the road at NC St with Dillon injured. That is a big, physical and talented team.

You fix the brand by winning and being relevant. It's that simple.

Our brand stunk in the early 80's too. What fixed that?

I live in Maryland and am hearing that the Maryland AD might still lose his job. They probably have no clue who they are going to look at right now or who will possibly be interested.

The "purge" is about to begin.

What "hot" coach would entertain such a situation?

In these circumstances does anybody really think the press and the anti-football slice of the population and the politicians that represent them is going to allow the huge salary to necessary bring someone in to fix this?

Here's the thing, most coaches who are damaged goods won't even get considered because they need to remedy the toxic culture. That being said, any non-toxic coach won't go anywhere near that toxic wastedump.

Just hire Canada? Or would he be considered part of the “culture?”

Here's the thing, most coaches who are damaged goods won't even get considered because they need to remedy the toxic culture. That being said, any non-toxic coach won't go anywhere near that toxic wastedump.

Someone will take it on as a promotion job. Think Rhule going from Temple to Baylor. But it won't be someone like Babers or Campbell that WaPo was floating. Who in their right mind would go lateral and throw away everything they're building for something that much harder? I mean, what $ difference makes it worth it, and is that mess of a school going to pay it?

A P5 coordinator or G5 head coach would take it on.

Thinking about this a lot.

If it’s money - another name team can back a truck up and we’re unlikely to compete. But Dino is a different kind of dude. I don’t know that he’s driven by money entirely.

Maybe access to talent/recruiting is a bigger factor? Crowds?

But being #19 and two drives from a top ten, probably top 5 ranking is trumping a lot of the other arguments. And he *knows* this offense isn’t really effecient just yet.

I have no idea what Dino Babers is going to do.

But one of the roads to internet meltdown is paved with platitudes like “Coach X loves our town!”, “He and the AD get along great!,” “he’s not just about money!” and my personal favorite “I saw him at the Colgate game in 311 funneling beers with CuseHulk.”

No it's not a federal offense, but your bias to BC clearly shows.

yes i'm very bias towards where half my family is. who cares? it's a message board, not a referendum on your unilateral rooting interests.

I wasn't even comparing BC brand to Syracuse's brand. Our brand is synonymous w losing and that's tough to change overnight.

I have three thoughts on all of this:

1 - It needs to be said, but Dino's name is only floating in this regard because of the absolute fantastic job he has done. As an alum, I am proud of what he's accomplished to date and excited by the program's trajectory.

2 - Tommy DeVito is a potential three-year starter and I bet Dino is privately salivating about what they can accomplish together in the coming years. Don't underestimate this, top-notch QBs are not easy to find. Ask Jim Harbaugh or the fans at Nebraska, LSU, Texas or Tennessee. Not all 4- and 5-star quarterbacks are created equal.

3 - If Dino does leave (and I hope he stays for a good long while), our (current) AD will be a distinct asset in the pursuit of the right head coach for SU. Wildhack's reputation is without flaw. He's wildly respected in college football circles. He's ostensibly been working for 30 years to make this next hire.

It's all good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom