The “Duke gets all the calls” thread. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The “Duke gets all the calls” thread.

Guys, it’s ok to criticize the officiating without the disclaimers. You can easily start another thread if you want to discuss free throw shooting or other issues.

The game is not a series of unrelated segments.

I am disappointed that they refs not only missed the elbow to OB's jaw, but even more that they didn't even go to the replay. If we're looking for consistency, that was an -1. But then again, it was Duke ...

I am disappointed that they refs not only missed the elbow to OB's jaw, but even more that they didn't even go to the replay. If we're looking for consistency, that was an -1. But then again, it was Duke ...
Can they go to replay if a foul wasn't called?

they can and have many times. i would bet my house on the fact that if the roles were reversed and a Dukey got an inadvertent elbow from OB, they'd have gone to the video

No argument, that's what I meant when I said we "Duked" on that.

Obvious bad calls.

- No free throws on the 3 point attempt by Frank before the half.

- Block call on Marek when Duke player lowered his shoulder and drove through Marek who had position, lowered shoulder or not.

- No flagrant 1 or foul at all on the elbow to the head on Oshae

- Blown out of bounds call on the Hughes block.

- No fouls on OB drive into the lane where he ultimately got called for a charge, he was pushed and bodied on the drive before the charge

- No call on the 3ft shot by OB in the second half where replay clearly showed him slapped across the forearm on release.

AND only a single foul called against Duke I the first half prior to the final 20 secs when they gave a series of intentional fouls.

AND with all those calls that went against us, which call do you recall saying “guess we got one there”, was there one??

i don't understand why the refs want to duke to win so badly. can anyone explain please?

I don’t have an issue with the no call on the elbow, but there were about 5 egregious missed calls that all favored one team, and all led to points.

We played awful as the second half went on. Didn’t defensive rebound, couldn’t shoot and didn’t convert free throws.

Both things can be true.

Obvious bad calls.

- Block call on Marek when Duke player lowered his shoulder and drove through Marek who had position, lowered shoulder or not.

- No fouls on OB drive into the lane where he ultimately got called for a charge, he was pushed and bodied on the drive before the charge

- No call on the 3ft shot by OB in the second half where replay clearly showed him slapped across the forearm on release.

AND only a single foul called against Duke I the first half prior to the final 20 secs when they gave a series of intentional fouls.

AND with all those calls that went against us, which call do you recall saying “guess we got one there”, was there one??
Tyus save to Chukwu was clearly a great save. Ruled he stepped out and awarded Duke the ball.

The list goes on. And some still defend the refs. Berate our players and defend the officiating.

The officials were a disgrace and Cuse has had so many games this year where the opponent was only whistled for 1 foul in the first half. What is it that contributes to this?

Teams just don't foul us ever in the first half. Is that what happens because I tend to think there is a bias against the Cuse albeit probably an unconscious one...Or maybe not

i don't understand why the refs want to duke to win so badly. can anyone explain please?
Probably a related phenomenon to this. Bloomberg - Are you a robot? It's an article about a study done by Miami of Ohio that confirmed bias in college football officiating. Yes, I know the hoops and football manage their official pools differently, however, I don't think it's a stretch to say something similar goes on in hoops. Kansas gets some ridiculous homecooking in their gym. It happens, you can't tell me it doesn't.

Obvious bad calls.

Yeah, I thought Frank got a gift after the terrible ignored foul call on the three point heave. I didn't see any contact on the layup, looked like a makeup call.

But most of the bad ones cost us, very inconsistent.

I don't know what the hell is our guys problem with lay ups but they miss a half dozen every game. This is a difference of a win or lost. If I was a pro scout there last night I wouldn't be to over impressed with Oshae or Battles. oops (feel free to place this a the appropriate thread)

Without going over game I saw 4 fouls they called on us that we were almost a ft away from player. Wouldn’t have changed game and I say it a lot but at least call it fair. Absolutely blatant bad calls every where.

Its easy to overlook because we lost by 10 and not 2, and we had a ton of chances and just couldn’t make shots. But still: Duke got probably 75% of the calls that were questionable, and some of the blown calls had a huge effect on the game: The 4 point play, not calling it when Buddy got fouled on his 3, not giving Frank his 3 FT’s, not calling anything when Brisset got knocked out of the game for awhile(and in effect, the night - he did nothing after that) with an elbow to the head, etc.

Add up the points scored on extra possessions given to Duke when the ball clearly went out off of them or the Marek “block”, etc.

Its easy to overlook because we lost by 10 and not 2, and we had a ton of chances and just couldn’t make shots. But still: Duke got probably 75% of the calls that were questionable, and some of the blown calls had a huge effect on the game: The 4 point play, not calling it when Buddy got fouled on his 3, not giving Frank his 3 FT’s, not calling anything when Brisset got knocked out of the game for awhile(and in effect, the night - he did nothing after that) with an elbow to the head, etc.

Add up the points scored on extra possessions given to Duke when the ball clearly went out off of them or the Marek “block”, etc.
The O'Connell 3 really bothers me because it's like because the play got sloppy the refs felt like they had to blow the whistle at some point. On the replay it looked like an open 3. And of course it ended up favoring Duke and was a huge momentum swing. Did we ever lead after that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom