The “Duke gets all the calls” thread. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The “Duke gets all the calls” thread.

your post implies that the games are fixed and refs are dirty. no question. tin hat much ?

Officials can suck too. Just like you think the coach does.

Yup. They can suck. They can be good and have bad games. They can be biased towards thinking a certain style of play is “better”.

They can have unintentional biases for letting the “scrappy” team get away with more, for letting the “fundamentally sound” team get away with more, the “more talented team” get away with more, etc.

I often used to feel that officials let Pitt get away with more due to their reputation as a “good defensive team”.

Duke being on the correct side of a questionable block/charge is hardly surprising given that they freakin popularized the whole “take a charge” BS back when people were fawning over Shane Battier(I know a casual SU fan who back then liked Duke more than SU who thought Battier was going to be Larry Bird level in the NBA -lol)

How do they call that, with a muddle of players in the corner, but miss Buddy getting hit in the arm all alone at the top of the key?

I would love to see a replay of the Buddy airball again. Seems like it had to be a foul. Also, in real time it seemed like a ridiculously slow release, I thought nobody was near him on the catch yet the defender managed to get a hand on him.

I would love to see a replay of the Buddy airball again. Seems like it had to be a foul. Also, in real time it seemed like a ridiculously slow release, I thought nobody was near him on the catch yet the defender managed to get a hand on him.

Did Buddy have an airball? He made the one basket then his other shot was a 3 that rattled in and out.

Did Buddy have an airball? He made the one basket then his other shot was a 3 that rattled in and out.

Deep three in the second half, top of the key off an inbound. Either the defender made a Warrick-esque block (what the ref saw) or Buddy got hit hard on his shooting hand (what I saw). That wasn't the one that rattled out, if memory serves, I think it barely made it to the free throw line.

Deep three in the second half, top of the key off an inbound. Either the defender made a Warrick-esque block (what the ref saw) or Buddy got hit hard on his shooting hand (what I saw). That wasn't the one that rattled out, if memory serves, I think it barely made it to the free throw line.

Oh yea, that’s the one they called the shot clock violation so it doesn’t show up in the box score. Tough to say if he got hit or not.

I don’t have an issue with the no call on the elbow, but there were about 5 egregious missed calls that all favored one team, and all led to points.

We played awful as the second half went on. Didn’t defensive rebound, couldn’t shoot and didn’t convert free throws.

Both things can be true.
And both can be intertwined. The players were just as aware of the officiating as we were and I have no doubt it affected them mentally.

Ted Valentine's got way too much documented history of not acting like a pro, but I've never really had a problem with him. He's no Michael Stephens or Crazy Karl Hess. I did like that he went out of his way to get Moten's attention and give him a big hug and a quick chat during an early stoppage.

Ted Valentine's got way too much documented history of not acting like a pro, but I've never really had a problem with him. He's no Michael Stephens or Crazy Karl Hess. I did like that he went out of his way to get Moten's attention and give him a big hug and a quick chat during an early stoppage.

You just listed The who’s who of my 3 least favorite officials in CBB. Add John Higgins to the list and that covers it.

Oh yea, that’s the one they called the shot clock violation so it doesn’t show up in the box score. Tough to say if he got hit or not.

If he didn't get hit, then he did some excellent acting. Which is a very Dukie thing to do. Now I'm going to be looking for that.

If he didn't get hit, then he did some excellent acting. Which is a very Dukie thing to do. Now I'm going to be looking for that.

Yea he fell backwards. But I don’t know how much that was because he had to get rid of the ball quickly cause when we inbounded there were only 2 seconds on the shot clock.

You just listed The who’s who of my 3 least favorite officials in CBB. Add John Higgins to the list and that covers it.
add in Jamie Lucky, Roger Ayers, and Mike Eades too.

I wonder what JAB and the coaches think on games like this when the rewatch the game in full from TV angles for post game analysis??

It must be even more maddening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom