The “Duke gets all the calls” thread. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The “Duke gets all the calls” thread.

The O'Connell 3 really bothers me because it's like because the play got sloppy the refs felt like they had to blow the whistle at some point. On the replay it looked like an open 3. And of course it ended up favoring Duke and was a huge momentum swing. Did we ever lead after that?

Still can’t believe that was a foul. Personal space rule?

The O'Connell 3 really bothers me because it's like because the play got sloppy the refs felt like they had to blow the whistle at some point. On the replay it looked like an open 3. And of course it ended up favoring Duke and was a huge momentum swing. Did we ever lead after that?

Agreed. If there was a foul on us, it was well before that and under the basket and on the floor. We may have fouled more than once, plus Duke may have travelled before OConnell ever touched the ball.

I agree, that was a “things are hectic and I’m not built for this so I gotta blow the whistle and calm this down” foul. Ridiculous call. If the same exact thing had happened off a clean ball reversal, there’s no way they blow the whistle IMO.

Agreed. If there was a foul on us, it was well before that and under the basket and on the floor. We may have fouled more than once, plus Duke may have travelled before OConnell ever touched the ball.

I agree, that was a “things are hectic and I’m not built for this so I gotta blow the whistle and calm this down” foul. Ridiculous call. If the same exact thing had happened off a clean ball reversal, there’s no way they blow the whistle IMO.
Who did they even give the foul to?

Without going over game I saw 4 fouls they called on us that we were almost a ft away from player. Wouldn’t have changed game and I say it a lot but at least call it fair. Absolutely blatant bad calls every where.

The bad calls were particularly noticeable tonight because they led to such bad results.
Yep. That's always a key in the ref issue. Refs are bad, we know it. Bilas said "they get about 90% of calls right" but over a 40 min game, that means they miss a LOT of calls. Duke cashed in on their extra opportunities. SU got opportunities in their own way and did not cash in.

Refs impacted the game in favor of Duke. I don't think an objective fan of the game could think otherwise given so many calls/no-calls stand out. That said, SU had this game to win and didn't hit their (open and easy) shots in the second half.

Yep. That's always a key in the ref issue. Refs are bad, we know it. Bilas said "they get about 90% of calls right" but over a 40 min game, that means they miss a LOT of calls. Duke cashed in on their extra opportunities. SU got opportunities in their own way and did not cash in.

Refs impacted the game in favor of Duke. I don't think an objective fan of the game could think otherwise given so many calls/no-calls stand out. That said, SU had this game to win and didn't hit their (open and easy) shots in the second half.
Totally agree.

i can easily think of 2 plays where no obvious foul was called on syracuse that led to duke points. how does that scenario play into the blame the refs narrative ? they purposely didn't blow the whistle ?

i can easily think of 2 plays where no obvious foul was called on syracuse that led to duke points. how does that scenario play into the blame the refs narrative ? they purposely didn't blow the whistle ?

Goes in the T-bonezone needs to have his eyes checked narrative. Completely different thread

Obvious bad calls.

- Block call on Marek when Duke player lowered his shoulder and drove through Marek who had position, lowered shoulder or not.
I've probably seen this same action 25 times this year in college basketball. It has been called an offensive foul 100% of the time, regardless if the defensive player is stationary. How Duke gets this call on the road is beyond Amazing.

I've probably seen this same action 25 times this year in college basketball. It has been called an offensive foul 100% of the time, regardless if the defensive player is stationary. How Duke gets this call on the road is beyond Amazing.
Yeah well maybe Marek should have thought about making a free throw on that play instead, ever think about that?;)

But he wasn't actually stationary
I thought it was a 50/50 call, but let's be honest about it. The Dukie put his shoulder down, but Marek's right foot was in the air, or just landed when the contact occurred.

I thought it was a 50/50 call, but let's be honest about it. The Dukie put his shoulder down, but Marek's right foot was in the air, or just landed when the contact occurred.
I agree that it could be a 50/50 call but my point is that I hadn't seen a block call on any similar play this year. When the offensive player on the wing tries to turn the corner and they make contact with the defensive player's chest, it has been an offensive foul every time. Maybe my sample size is too small but I'd be willing to bet, this year, its closer to 90/10 than 50/50.

i don't understand why the refs want to duke to win so badly. can anyone explain please?
My theory is that Nike wants DUKE on top - after their share price dipped 2% following zion's shoeflap - I can see them phoning in a request that Duke wins without him...damage control

imagine duke totally falls apart without zion like his sweat shop shoe - definitely bringing even more heat on NIKE - like damn nike your soft ass products brought down the best basketball school in the nation - at least now its like only a minor injury to the best player in a decade - but at least not bad enough to bring down a whole program...

It was interesting how coach K described the preparation for this game - he was like "i told my players WE NEED to win this game" he wasn't sure if they could - then when he's berating the officials for calling things in his team's favor - it is hard for me to not look for a conspiracy. why did they NEED to win? to properly please their corporate overlords?? it was something in how he described it...that stuck out to me...maybe i'm just reading too much into it...

but then again - I just don't understand why the officials are so clearly helping Duke on the road - i kinda get it when duke is at home - cuz most teams get favored at home - but on the road in front of 36k fans...does it really help the sport to bamboozle a team with that much support?????????????

also FWIW - Each "missed call" isn't only 2 points for whomever benefits - it's also a missed opportunity for the other team to score too - so one missed call could potentially be as much as a 6/7 point swing! - 5-10 missed calls in a close game is easily enough to stealthily decide the outcome - and properly spaced out/well-timed almost impossible to prove...

both teams got some bad calls in their favor in this game - but on the whole - duke got more CLEARLY - some of them were ridiculously awful, imo...in front of 36k fans too - the refs should be ashamed - but i'm sure theyre not...theyre probably cashing fat checks for completing their assignment as ordered...

Last edited:
My theory is that Nike wants DUKE on top - after their share price dipped 2% following zion's shoeflap - I can see them phoning in a request that Duke wins without him...damage control

imagine duke totally falls apart without zion like his sweat shop shoe - definitely bringing even more heat on NIKE - like damn nike your soft ass products brought down the best basketball school in the nation - at least now its like only a minor injury to the best player in a decade - but at least not bad enough to bring down a whole program...

It was interesting how coach K described the preparation for this game - he was like "i told my players WE NEED to win this game" he wasn't sure if they could - then when he's berating the officials for calling things in his team's favor - it is hard for me to not look for a conspiracy. why did they NEED to win? to properly please their corporate overlords?? it was something in how he described it...that stuck out to me...maybe i'm just reading too much into it...

but then again - I just don't understand why the officials are so clearly helping Duke on the road - i kinda get it when duke is at home - cuz most teams get favored at home - but on the road in front of 36k fans...does it really help the sport to bamboozle a team with that much support?????????????

also FWIW - Each "missed call" isn't only 2 points for whomever benefits - it's also a missed opportunity for the other team to score too - so one missed call could potentially be as much as a 6/7 point swing! - 5-10 missed calls in a close game is easily enough to stealthily decide the outcome - and properly spaced out/well-timed almost impossible to prove...

both teams got some bad calls in their favor in this game - but on the whole - duke got more CLEARLY - some of them were ridiculously awful, imo...in front of 36k fans too - the refs should be ashamed - but i'm sure theyre not...theyre probably cashing fat checks for completing their assignment as ordered...
Not sure about the shoe conspiracy but you're on point about the calls. They were terribly one-sided and usually resulted in more than just a basket difference.

But It's not just point swings. It's guys playing with foul trouble or sitting against players who do not have that hinderance. Not to mention the momentum changes, and the sheer frustration that our team had to deal while playing very well for most of the night. Delaurier and Reddish should have fouled out. The coaches had a great game plan creating and attacking mismatches. We should have had 20 more free throw attempts. OB was brutalized for most of the game, played his heart out.

Tyus save to Chukwu was clearly a great save. Ruled he stepped out and awarded Duke the ball.

The list goes on. And some still defend the refs. Berate our players and defend the officiating.
His toe was on the line on the replay. The end line is the narrow orange line, not the wide orange paint.

I don't know about all that. Then again, my tinfoil hat got thrown into the recycling a while back.

You don't have to be stationary anymore. The did away with that a few years back.

You don't have to be stationary anymore. The did away with that a few years back.

I know that part of the rule. However, he hadn't yet established legal guarding position yet as he was still moving to the spot.

I know that part of the rule. However, he hadn't yet established legal guarding position yet as he was still moving to the spot.
Again, the offensive player lowered his shoulder and initiated the contact. It has been an offensive foul every time I've seen it this year. FWIW, I liked the old rule where the defender had to be set. That's how I was raised.

Unfortunately, the way I look at it is: how Syracuse never gets this call at home is amazing. There is no explanation for what I've seen in Cuse games this year.

marek threw out his right leg establishing contact. correct call. as to above narrative there was a scrum underneath the duke basket where syracuse clearly fouls and the ball instead rolls out for a duke three. and then the howard half court thing where everyone stopped and assumed whistle and duke gets the dunk.
two non calls where duke comes away with points.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom