The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 236 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

its a shame they won't play us as i can get to ru easily in an hour. used to be great tail gating in johnson park---not allowed anymore i'm told.have been to all su games we have played there.

You wrote; "It's a shame they won't play us as I can get to RU easily in an hour ..."

I guess you meant to say "It's a shame for me".

I don't think your convenience ought to be a factor SU considers in scheduling.

When SU associates itself with schools like Rutgers it harms the school and the program. Our name should never be in the same sentence with this longtime sick man of college athletics.

When we did play them Rutgers fans tried to increase the legitimacy of their program by suggesting that they were "rivals" with Syracuse. Since there was little to support this, they tried to provoke a rivalry by acting obnoxiously. (Something that came to them quite naturally. They are, after all, from New Jersey.)

They seem to think they can build a college athletics "rivalry" by antagonizing the fans of a school they wish they were rivals with. They don't understand that this friction between fan bases is just a by-product of a athletic rivalry that's built by significant games and history.

They are now trying that same strategy with Penn State and its fans. And it'll fail just like it did with us.

You wrote; "It's a shame they won't play us as I can get to RU easily in an hour ..."

When SU associates itself with schools like Rutgers it harms the school and the program. Our name should never be in the same sentence with this longtime sick man of college athletics.

When we did play them Rutgers fans tried to increase the legitimacy of their program by suggesting that they were "rivals" with Syracuse. Since there was little to support this, they tried to provoke a rivalry by acting obnoxiously. (Something that came to them quite naturally. They are, after all, from New Jersey.)

They seem to think they can build a college athletics "rivalry" by antagonizing the fans of a school they wish they were rivals with. They don't understand that this friction between fan bases is just a by-product of a athletic rivalry that's built by significant games and history.

They are now trying that same strategy with Penn State and its fans. And it'll fail just like it did with us.

They tried to do the same with Michigan. And then 78-0 happened. And now it's next 'rival' up.

wow, sorry i did not want to strike such a venomous chord. however it leads me to believe, that they have succeded in creating a hatred that may pass as a rivalry, and almost create a large crowd at both home and away games.
sooner or later, as tomcat said there will be another series it will make economical sense. easy travel for fans for games and cheaper travel for teams

wow, sorry i did not want to strike such a venomous chord. however it leads me to believe, that they have succeded in creating a hatred that may pass as a rivalry, and almost create a large crowd at both home and away games.
sooner or later, as tomcat said there will be another series it will make economical sense. easy travel for fans for games and cheaper travel for teams

No, a hatred based on fan behavior is NOT the same thing as a real rivalry. It's what it is, a phony, artificially ginned-up "rivalry" driven by fans who actually don't know what a real rivalry is because they have never experienced one. (Trust me, I grew up in Princeton and only Rutgers fans considered that football game a rivalry. It's their "pipe-dream".)

And SU shouldn't schedule them in any sport, IMO. It tarnished our "brand".

Scheduling Rutgers rewards their strategy of building phony rivalries based on obnoxious bevavior. And the economics of team travel you point to are just about as phony. As anyone who has ever bought an airline ticket knows, distance appears to have little to do with ticket prices. (I just flew RT to Dallas for $300 and I'll bet I couldn't do that from DC to Newark RT)

I can't think of any good reason to expose our fans to that gaggle of college football "newbies" and obnoxious, mouth-breathing fools.

SU fans know --- or should know --- what a rivalry actually is.

Georgetown vs SU was based on years and years of meaningful games that many times determined conference championships. It was based on personalities and incidents and statements like "Manley Field House is officially closed" and "The best team did not win tonight." and "Michael Graham punched my player in front of 18,000 people."

Before that there was SU v. PSU in football until the 1970's and we fell apart. (After 1970, the series was tied (26w - 26w)

In the 1990's we were getting there with VT based on actual games.

Eastern Football is long dead and a few games aren't going to revive it. Besides, Rutgers was never part of it. When we were an "Indie", they were busy playing Lehigh and Lafayette.

No, a hatred based on fan behavior is NOT the same thing as a real rivalry. It's what it is, a phony, artificially ginned-up "rivalry" driven by fans who actually don't know what a real rivalry is because they have never experienced one. (Trust me, I grew up in Princeton and only Rutgers fans considered that football game a rivalry. It's their "pipe-dream".)

And SU shouldn't schedule them in any sport, IMO. It tarnished our "brand".

Scheduling Rutgers rewards their strategy of building phony rivalries based on obnoxious bevavior. And the economics of team travel you point to are just about as phony. As anyone who has ever bought an airline ticket knows, distance appears to have little to do with ticket prices. (I just flew RT to Dallas for $300 and I'll bet I couldn't do that from DC to Newark RT)

I can't think of any good reason to expose our fans to that gaggle of college football "newbies" and obnoxious, mouth-breathing fools.

SU fans know --- or should know --- what a rivalry actually is.

Georgetown vs SU was based on years and years of meaningful games that many times determined conference championships. It was based on personalities and incidents and statements like "Manley Field House is officially closed" and "The best team did not win tonight." and "Michael Graham punched my player in front of 18,000 people."

Before that there was SU v. PSU in football until the 1970's and we fell apart. (After 1970, the series was tied (26w - 26w)

In the 1990's we were getting there with VT based on actual games.

Eastern Football is long dead and a few games aren't going to revive it. Besides, Rutgers was never part of it. When we were an "Indie", they were busy playing Lehigh and Lafayette.
Don’t waste your breath. There’s a healthy (or unhealthy based on your POV), online contingent of ROSUF (Rutgers-Obsessed SU Fans). They really don’t see why it’s a big mistake to equate in any form or fashion, our proud and historic program with the likes of a Rutgers. It says more about how far they think we fell, than how e ff ‘ d up Rutgers is/was. Classic Syracuse insecurity.
They don’t get that rolling around w/ a dog like RU, eventually you end up with fleas. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Don’t waste your breath. There’s a healthy online contingent of ROSUF (Rutgers-Obsessed SU Fans) who really don’t see why it’s a big deal to equate in any form or fashion, our proud and historic program with the likes of a Rutgers.
They don’t get that rolling around w/ a dog like RU, eventually you end up with fleas. It is what it is.

Or, as my mother used to say, "You are judged by the company you keep".

The only reasons to play Rutgers:

1) Bowl game
2) ACC/B1G schedule arrangement and we get the short straw
3) Rutgers drops out (or is pushed out!) of the P5 and/or Div 1 and becomes an official body bag game played every decade or so.

However, being entertained at Rutgers' self-inflicted wounds does not equate to Syracuse Orange in-security. It is fun, maybe a bit of schadenfreude, but fun nonetheless. It's like Wile E. Coyote in the real world.

Some of you guys crack me up. Rutgers is an easy drive for many alums. They are a P5 team and a regional one at that. They would be a good OOC team to match up with long term.

Its not 1997 any more folks, some of your perceptions of SU football are well above those of the general college football fan base.

Some of you guys crack me up. Rutgers is an easy drive for many alums. They are a P5 team and a regional one at that. They would be a good OOC team to match up with long term.

Its not 1997 any more folks, some of your perceptions of SU football are well above those of the general college football fan base.

I understand what you are saying, we are not back in teh prime of football. However, ask CFB fan outside of the northeast and Syracuse has a name and history, as well as some respect amongst the over 30 crowd. Rutgers has no such reputation/history/respect. Half still don't know what a "Rutgers" is! Those that do remember the 2016 beat-downs by their B1G "rivalries".

People that know/follow CFB, know Syracuse, even though down. Rutgers is still mostly unknown, even though they have been playing* football** longer than everyone else not named Princeton.

* Playing often portrays the effort with intent to win, or at least attempt to win, Rutgers has never been accused of attempting to win. At any sport.
** Football refers to the commonly known American game, not soccer, as was played by Rutgers and Princeton in 1869. Though, I still don't recall anyone claiming Rutgers plays football, though they do cash the B1G checks. Does this make Rutgers a P5 body bag game so the B1G can pretend to play no D1aa games?

I love this thread. After the Big 10 gets through rolling around in the mud with the "R" they are gonna do this:

1kWtnQi5EeXK.gif

Maryland would be far, far better.

Temple would be as good if not better. We get more talent out of Philly than NJ.

Likewise Army and Navy.

All of these are close to the Alumni base. And none of them have the stench of Rutgers.

If we want to play another Big Ten team, there's always Penn State. Or Northwestern.

Too many other better choices. F em!

Maryland would be far, far better.

Temple would be as good if not better. We get more talent out of Philly than NJ.

Likewise Army and Navy.

All of these are close to the Alumni base. And none of them have the stench of Rutgers.

If we want to play another Big Ten team, there's always Penn State. Or Northwestern.

Too many other better choices. em!
your statement about talent is historically incorrect, and no, temple and maryland would not draw as well as rutgers. by the way we do get a lot of hoops players from jersey, as well

your statement about talent is historically incorrect, and no, temple and maryland would not draw as well as rutgers. by the way we do get a lot of hoops players from jersey, as well

SU gets a lot of support in DC for GU and it will be good for UMD.

And your point about playing Rutgers --- because its convenient for you --- is no reason we should.

They are a historic sick man. Playing them cheapens our brand and is an insult to SU tradition and history. It's an awful idea.

And it's not going to happen. They aren't looking for any stiffer competition than the OCC teams they like to schedule. After all, they have to pad their record so the beat downs that the real Big Ten teams deliver regularly are offset to a degree.

The Big Ten money when they get it will stop them from ripping off the student body for $25M a year.

Why do people think having a big thread making fun of Rutgers = equating ourselves with them?

Silly stuff
To paraphrase Bill Shakespeare: "Methinks some doth protest too much".
If Rutgers is so irrelevant and such a joke, then why do some spend so much time here riding their jocks?
Another wise man once said: "The opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference".
Rutgers is not worthy, nor have they earned, any of our emotions, be it love or hate. They deserve our indifference. Anything more than that works to their advantage. JMHO

To paraphrase Bill Shakespeare: "Methinks some doth protest too much".
If Rutgers is so irrelevant and such a joke, then why do some spend so much time here riding their jocks?
Another wise man once said: "The opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference".
Rutgers is not worthy, nor have they earned, any of our emotions, be it love or hate. They deserve our indifference. Anything more than that works to their advantage. JMHO

And yet some continue to post on the Rutgers thread.

Haven't seen him play, but he played at a hs in Nj that isn't known for football, decided he wanted to take his game to a higher level, and has struggled, he should fit in well at Rutgers.

Hey, we're hosting a playoff game this Friday. We're not that bad!

After next season I would not be surprised to see some combo of Maryland or Rutgers (or UConn) on the schedule. They checks a lot of boxes.

After next season I would not be surprised to see some combo of Maryland or Rutgers (or UConn) on the schedule. They checks a lot of boxes.

We're already playing UConn next season, and Maryland in 2019.
Wisconsin in 2020 and 2021.
Notre Dame in 2022, 2025, 2026, 2029, 2034, 2037.

We can have Rutgers for 2023 and 2024.

We're already playing UConn next season, and Maryland in 2019.
Wisconsin in 2020 and 2021.
Notre Dame in 2022, 2025, 2026, 2029, 2034, 2037.

We can have Rutgers for 2023 and 2024.
Met Life Stadium with a 50/50 ticket split for both games?