The Annual Bubble Discussion Thread - 2021 Version | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

The Annual Bubble Discussion Thread - 2021 Version

Bennett has done a good job with teams of different skills and makeups. That said, the two things that he makes sure he has is a PG who facilitates and defends well and a big man who is a decent offensive and defensive presence along side a fluid mix of shooters and slashers in between that tend to vary in size and specific skills.

He checks off the two things we have struggled to check off and does so nearly every year. Add that to a very good defensive system and efficiency on offense and you can see where they are so successful.

I really don't think you can oversell how great Bennett has been at UVA. In the last 8 years, they've won the regular season outright 4 times and shared it a 5th. In that period, Duke, who has a pretty good coach and has had some pretty good players, has not once finished above UVA in the ACC standings. Twice, they've finished tied with Duke.

I really don't think you can oversell how great Bennett has been at UVA. In the last 8 years, they've won the regular season outright 4 times and shared it a 5th. In that period, Duke, who has a pretty good coach and has had some pretty good players, has not once finished above UVA in the ACC standings. Twice, they've finished tied with Duke.

And they've done it with talent level that is on par with what we have recruited recently, if not only slightly better.

I continue to remain miffed beyond all get out on how UVA continues to win games and conference titles in the manner in which they have. I have felt this way even when they had Guy, Jerome & company. When they had their 3 game losing streak a few weeks back, that's precisely the UVA team I generally see threw my lens. Call me crazy.

I guess, in the end, one can't argue with the results, and, IMO, it's a testament on Bennett's coaching ability, his system, discipline, etc., and consistently getting his players to play for him at 100% capacity just about all of the time.

Probably because he does it without recruiting elite talent and doesn't have elite athletes at every position. I think Virginia's player development is the best around though.

I think he's easily the best coach in the country. Last year was supposed to be a down year for them and they still went 15-5 in the ACC.
Yeah. No argument from me. He's got to be in the small handful of candidates that you expect to do the best job year in and year out.

Back to the topic at hand.

Barttorvik has SU's probability of making the tournament up over 45% now...

It's interesting, I was just trying to think it out in my head, but that feels high

It seems fair to say if we lose to NC state, we have basically a 0% chance, right?
Ken Pom has us 55% to beat NC State, Barttovirk has Nc State a few spots higher than us, so we'd be a a tad under 50% to beat them. So we could eyeball it and say we're basically 50/50 to beat State.

So 50% of the time we lose to State, and are nearly certain to miss it
and 50% of the time we beat State. So basically he is saying we are relatively likely to make the tournament just with one more win. Impossible to say, but I would not be that comfortable if we beat State and lost to UVA

It's interesting, I was just trying to think it out in my head, but that feels high

It seems fair to say if we lose to NC state, we have basically a 0% chance, right?
Ken Pom has us 55% to beat NC State, Barttovirk has Nc State a few spots higher than us, so we'd be a a tad under 50% to beat them. So we could eyeball it and say we're basically 50/50 to beat State.

and 50% of the time we beat State. So basically he is saying we are relatively likely to make the tournament just with one more win. Impossible to say, but I would not be that comfortable if we beat State and lost to UVA
We don’t have a normal tournament resume but just looking at the teams around the bubble, it is full of absolute dog chit resumes so we have a 50-50 chance to make it by beating Nc State and losing to Virginia.

If we know what criteria matters most for this committee it would be clearer.
Like Minnesota has a garbage record but a bunch of quality wins.
What does the committee value.

I don’t think our resume is that good when it’s broken down.
NC State x2, Virginia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina isn’t that strong but it the numbers game may get us in.

Even though we've beaten State twice, we will probably be like only a 2 point favorite . They've won 5 in a row, including a win @ Va. Its going to be a barnburner. If we win that one, Va will likely be 7-8 point favorite and gives us fits. We have a very tough road. But I like our position way better than 2 weeks ago.

2016 team had 2 NBA first round draft picks, a first team All-ACC player that season, a senior defensive elite guard, and size to play.

2016 team had also played at Virginia that season and competed very hard against them in a tight game.
2021 got their doors blown off at Virginia this year.
It’s by far the worst matchup for us because they are so well coached and prepared they know exactly what to do against us.
And JB thinks that UVA is unbeatable as well. He speaks of them as if they're the Celtics of the 1960s.

In one of JB's interviews, didn't he say Bennett was one of the best coaches in the country, if not the best? I remember him giving very high praise.

He did...and rightfully so.

He also stated after our defeat this season that Huff was the "best center in the league," and that there was no way that his Syracuse squad was going on the road to Charlottesville getting a W. Mind you, there were basically no fans at this game as has been the case in all/most of these road venues to date. Furthermore, he spewed this just a couple of days after we beat VPI. And, how VPI later in the week bested UVA, where their big man (Aluma) pretty much dominated Huff ('the best center in the league') going for 29 & 10. Furthermore, we beat NCST twice in a 10-11 day span, and where UVA got beat by the Wolfpack.

I recall thinking at the time that I needed to call into JB's weekly talk show and ask the question along these lines: Coach, you stated that we basically hadn't had a chance in hell of beating UVA at their place, yet somehow your Syracuse team was able to beat VPI and NCST twice in or around this same time. And, these same teams beat that Cavalier squad around the same time. So, can you explain to me, as if I was a 2 year old...(love that Denzel scene in "Philadelphia") so that I may understand what you spew. :)

Last edited:
He did...and rightfully so.

He also stated after our defeat this season that Huff was the "best center in the league," and that there was no way that his Syracuse squad was going on the road to Charlottesville getting a W. Mind you, there were basically no fans at this game as has been the case in all/most of these road venues to date. Furthermore, he spewed this after just couple days after we beat VPI and VPI later in the week bested UVA, where their big man (Aluma) pretty much dominated Huff (the best center in the league) where he went for 29 & 10. Furthermore, we beat NCST twice in a 10-11 day span, and where UVA got beat by the Wolfpack.

I recall thinking at the time that I needed to call in to JB's weekly talk so and ask the question along these lines: Coach, you stated that we basically hadn't had a chance in hell of beating UVA at their place, yet somehow your Syracuse team was able to beat VPI and NCST twice in or around this same time. And, these same teams beat that Cavalier squad around the same time. So, can you explain to me, as if I was a 2 year old...(love that Denzel scene in "Philadelphia") to believe what you spew. :)

It’s coaching plain and simple.
We don’t adjust except to press when behind.
Tony Bennett is one of the 5 best coaches in college hoops.

He tells them get the ball in the middle of the zone every possession and the middle will collapse and they will get an open shot every time.
Now this season they happen to have their best shooting but they would crush us doing that and when their defense was good they would lock us down offensively because we are jump shooting team.

This season their defense isn’t as good but it can shut people down.

I think we need a tad bit help of the bubble but I think we beat NC state, we're in.

Say we beat NC state but lose to VA, we'd be 16-9, 10-8 in conference.

We need 1 or 2 of these mid majors to slip up and no St Johns & Xavier run and I think we're good

First team out is the replacement position. Imagine that team would be in Indy practicing until last minute.

along those lines, I believe the ncaa announced that a replacement team would be used prior to 6pm next Tuesday. That replacement team would take the exact spot as the team dropping. If after 6pm next Tuesday if a team drops the team they were playing moves on with no game.

It’s coaching plain and simple.
We don’t adjust except to press when behind.
Tony Bennett is one of the 5 best coaches in college hoops.

He tells them get the ball in the middle of the zone every possession and the middle will collapse and they will get an open shot every time.

Now this season they happen to have their best shooting but they would crush us doing that and when their defense was good they would lock us down offensively because we are jump shooting team.

This season their defense isn’t as good but it can shut people down.

For sure. I mentioned/acknowledged that it's a testament to his coaching and how his guys play at full capacity just about all of the time, and how they are 100% bought in to his coaching strategies and discipline.

Is this the Tony Bennett chances of getting into the tournament? Lunardi says as long as he’s the coach of Virginia.

Bennett is good. I think Coach K is overrated. For the amount of talent he gets...pretty lackluster results, imo

I think Chris Beard gets more out of a team than anybody in the country. But Bennett is def top five.
yeah agreed. beard is good too. Speaking of another overrated coach though...how about brad stevens? been garbage at boston imo...he was really really good at butler...but doesnt seem to have it in the nba

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom